The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
if i found out the breakdowns it would really bug me if i was on a grade boundary...id like think back to the paper and think damn if i just wrote that 1 more point i would have gotten an A... oh well :smile:

by the way i don't know if you've seen this all of you :
http://smithms.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GCSE_2.html
haha cracks me up
x
when i did my exam for leisure and tourism with edexcel it told me what the grade boundaries were. I was devastated to find that i was 1 mark away from an A-i got 79% (also 79 marks) and for an A you needed 80%. I was annoyed that my school didnt offer to send it back to be re-marked as if it was english or maths and i was 1 mark away i know they would have sent it back.
Reply 22
Yea you're right there, i don't think most schools repsect leisure and tourism as a GCSE subject to be honest. When i got my leisure and tourism result back i got the marks but i didn't know how many it was out of until the teacher explained,is that what happened to you?

N yea i have seen that site - makes me laugh too! No offence if you anyone keeps looking at it but i think the site is a bit sad but i can't stop myself from going on it every now and again. It's like GCSE tourettes!
kitty123
is that what happened to you?

Yeah. My teacher isnt that good really. She sorta teaches all of the less respected subjects like applied business and business studies. She also does this class which is a mix of people from our school and the other comprhensive school in my town. I think they just give her all the subjects no one else wants lol. I dont even think she is qualified in leisure and tourism!
Reply 24
Heh, I imagine in the results envelope there will be the £10 note that most people slipped into their exam with a note saying "Nice try but I get paid more than you think for marking each script. Enjoy the D"
Reply 25
lil_one
haha cracks me up
x

:toofunny:

In terms of mark breakdowns, it can give you a good sense of satisfaction of you only drop a couple of marks, but it would be frustrating to know that you are on a boundry.
Reply 26
Cataclysm
Heh, I image in the results envelope there will be the £10 note that most people slipped into their exam with a note saying "Nice try but I get paid more than you think for marking each script. Enjoy the D"
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I know for Edexcel Maths, they give you your grade and your UMS marks for both exams as a whole (/480) and your coursework (/120). And by the way, Edexcel do also send letters to candidates who scored like in the top ten in the country for a subject - a boy in my school got one for A level Music.

I'd like to know my mark breakdowns, just so that I can get it remarked, if the need arises (but I'm praying that it doesn't!) :redface:
Reply 27
So does that mean the top 10 results for just the exam mark or top 10 mark that includes both exam and coursework mark? ( I doubt i'll get one either way!)
Reply 28
lil_one
if i found out the breakdowns it would really bug me if i was on a grade boundary...id like think back to the paper and think damn if i just wrote that 1 more point i would have gotten an A... oh well :smile:

haha cracks me up
x

Now in ym favourites ooh i love that song that'll make me alugh eveytime even though it mena one day closer to the either most hideous or most happy day
kitty123
So does that mean the top 10 results for just the exam mark or top 10 mark that includes both exam and coursework mark? ( I doubt i'll get one either way!)

For AQA, it's the top 5 UMS marks. So, in reality, hundreds receive them. Anyone, for example with 360, 359, 358, 357 or 356 UMS in e.g French would get a letter (with 360's being the "Top Mark in the Country"). However, if no-one scored 358 for whatever reason, then 355's would get a letter, too.
Reply 30
I thought that it was the top ten results? So that they sorted the best results in a list and the top ten were sent a letter. No?
Reply 31
No i think its done according to UMS marks! Wow what an achievement if you got one!
It may vary across exam boards?
Reply 33

does anyone no what happens if you do really well? ive heard you get an extra letter with your results

No i think its done according to UMS marks! Wow what an achievement if you got one!

I was wondering about that too because I did a GCSE in Catering, only 5000 do it each year and I got 98% on the mock. I am dreading having my picture in the local newspaper showing how well I did at Catering, they'll probably make me wear a stupid hat and apron for it too. :confused:
Reply 34
Awwwww, you can refuse having your picture taken can't you? If that ever happened to me i'd say no to a picture but i'd still speak about my result. I never have my picture taken
Reply 35
Awwwww, you can refuse having your picture taken can't you? If that ever happened to me i'd say no to a picture but i'd still speak about my result. I never have my picture taken

I know I will refuse, but I'm guessing my mum is just going to force me. Yeah, the newspaper rejected me on work experience so I want to snub them.....Not that they will be bothered in the slightest, but it'll make stubborn little me happy :p:
Reply 36
hehehe go for it! Hope you get the grade you want! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Aj@y
I was wondering about that too because I did a GCSE in Catering, only 5000 do it each year and I got 98% on the mock. I am dreading having my picture in the local newspaper showing how well I did at Catering, they'll probably make me wear a stupid hat and apron for it too. :confused:

That is an excellent achievement and you should definitely have your picture taken and wear a chef's hat and make a angry look and have the caption read, "Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry."
Reply 38
That is an excellent achievement and you should definitely have your picture taken and wear a chef's hat and make a angry look and have the caption read, "Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry."

lol that would be funny, but I'd then feel like I was going to end up like a corny, old and washed up TV presenter like Keith Chegwin.
Reply 39
:eek: I love keith chegwin! * runs away and hides*

Latest