8.79%
Plaid (4)
4.4%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So for the 2015 Election which other parties should be in the TV debates and what is your reason for the inclusion?

I would argue for UKIP because they got 25% of the vote in locals, are likely to do extremely well in EU election and are regularly polling above the lib dems. I would also say the Greens because they have an MP and do well in EU elections

Petition for UKIP to be in debates has over 23,000 signed http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43153

Petition for Greens to be in debates has over 6,500 signed http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46764

Petition for BNP to be in debates has 65 votes http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48375

This petition asks for all parties who field canidates in more than 50% of consituencies http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44763
username878045
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd love to see how Cameron/Clegg/Milliband dealt with Farage in a debate.
sa00109102
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Farage in a debate would change the nature of UK politics forever. Simply imagining the 'big three' trying to keep a leash on him is absolutely hilarious. They would crumble into dust. The Greens should be there also, seems they are such a unique party at the moment.
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UKIP. Farage always does well on Question Time in my opinion, and the context is relevant with the debate over Europe. We need an extra force in British Politics. The Greens are preposterous whingers.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to see David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband, the Greens leader, Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage, Alex Salmond, the Plaid Cumry leader all up the debating together.
CharlieTT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Despite my disdain for UKIP, I would like to see UKIP and the Greens on debates more often. Although I don't think it should be limited to them just because they're the two largest minor parties, I think any party with any form of traction and/or a seat in parliament should be on debates.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm for the same policy that I've explained before: two debates for all the parties running in enough constituencies to theoretically win a majority, and one 'Prime Ministerial' debate just between the Labour and Tory leaders. And keep the practice of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland having an additional separate debate each (or maybe two for NI, given that they have completely different parties).
HJ M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
I want to see David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband, the Greens leader, Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage, Alex Salmond, the Plaid Cumry leader all up the debating together.
That will just turn into a brawl!
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CharlieTT)
Despite my disdain for UKIP, I would like to see UKIP and the Greens on debates more often. Although I don't think it should be limited to them just because they're the two largest minor parties, I think any party with any form of traction and/or a seat in parliament should be on debates.
I agree. It would be nice to see parties like the Greens and UKIP have more exposure and see if their policies could hold up in the cold light of day against the parties that have actual experience of being in power. In an ideal world I'd like to see the BNP up there as well. As abhorrent as they are, they have a political following and have seats in the European Parliament. If we are to be a true democracy we need to see parties like the BNP be allowed to participate in open debate. However that was already tried with Nick Griffin on Question Time and it turned into a shambolic lynch mob of an episode, so I know it wouldn't work in reality.
CharlieTT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
I agree. It would be nice to see parties like the Greens and UKIP have more exposure and see if their policies could hold up in the cold light of day against the parties that have actual experience of being in power. In an ideal world I'd like to see the BNP up there as well. As abhorrent as they are, they have a political following and have seats in the European Parliament. If we are to be a true democracy we need to see parties like the BNP be allowed to participate in open debate. However that was already tried with Nick Griffin on Question Time and it turned into a shambolic lynch mob of an episode, so I know it wouldn't work in reality.
I hope intellectual debate is sparked if Greens, UKIP and the BNP are on there. As opposed to the shouting matches that happen in the house of commons, as hilarious as they are.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CharlieTT)
I hope intellectual debate is sparked if Greens, UKIP and the BNP are on there. As opposed to the shouting matches that happen in the house of commons, as hilarious as they are.
I remember watching a debate with two complete nutters - Nick Griffin and George Hargreaves of the Christian Party. They have some of the silliest political views ever but the debate was done in such a civilised manner that I couldn't help but respect them. The House of Commons could learn a lot from it. Hang on, I think it might be on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CghqZ6F53Fo&noredirect=1

I think that's it. Just staggering how those complete opposites were respectful of each others views.
CharlieTT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember watching a debate with two complete nutters - Nick Griffin and George Hargreaves of the Christian Party. They have some of the silliest political views ever but the debate was done in such a civilised manner that I couldn't help but respect them. The House of Commons could learn a lot from it. Hang on, I think it might be on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CghqZ6F53Fo&noredirect=1

I think that's it. Just staggering how those complete opposites were respectful of each others views.
House of Commons would do better if it were more civilised, it is still amazingly hilarious at times though. The Green Party in Irish Parliament being a highlight for me xD
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
today MIliband challenged Cameron to a TV debate and explicitly stated he does not want Farage involved http://news.sky.com/story/1146366/mi...t-to-tv-debate mirroring what Cameron has already said about keeping UKIP out, he mentions no other parties but I think it is clear both Tories and Labour scared to face Farage on live TV
leinad2012
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UKIP would be hilarious in a TV debate, and how Milliband, Cameron and Cleggy would react to Farage would be priceless. Although on the politics side, the TV debates are what gave the Lib Dems such strength and seeing what they've done with said power, i.e. bugger all, I'd rather not have UKIP gain popularity only to cause trouble in a potential coalition. Protest parties are ALWAYS the worst
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In an ideal world I'd like to see the BNP up there as well. As abhorrent as they are, they have a political following and have seats in the European Parliament. If we are to be a true democracy we need to see parties like the BNP be allowed to participate in open debate.
Maybe in 2009 that would have been the case. But since then the BNP have collapsed. By the election they'll probably have 0 MEPs and 0 councillors. Their membership is about a third of what it was in 2009, Considering they only just managed to run candidates in a majority of constituencies last time, I very much doubt they'll manage it in 2015.
Surrey Bubble15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Greens on the TV debates!?!?! They claim the majority of people want them to be in the TV debates? That's the biggest load of crap I've heard in some time. They're a fringe party and a bunch of nutjobs
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Maybe in 2009 that would have been the case. But since then the BNP have collapsed. By the election they'll probably have 0 MEPs and 0 councillors. Their membership is about a third of what it was in 2009, Considering they only just managed to run candidates in a majority of constituencies last time, I very much doubt they'll manage it in 2015.
Yes I see what you mean. Plus the BNP winning 2 seats oop north can partly be attributed to the poor turnout in the 2008 elections due to the expenses scandal. Didn't realise they'd collapsed so much. Then again the far left and the far right collapse and re-emerge so many times that it's often impossible to keep track of just what is going on inside the parties.
ColdColourStitch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I voted for UKIP, the Green Party and the BNP (the sole person as it stands). EDIT: Not anymore.

UKIP undoubtedly have a right to be a part of the televised debates; they are the 2nd largest party for MEP's and polled over 25% of the vote in the most recent local elections. They are widely expected to win the 2014 European elections and are likely to see a substantial rise in their political support come 2015 which *could* see them, unfortunately, winning seats in the House of Commons. It would be a fantastic piece of bait for Nigel to bite if the main 3 parties objected to his participation.

The Greens also have a right to participate if only because they have an MP and substantial support in the elections (over 330,000 in 2010). Begrudgingly, the BNP is the 5th largest party in terms of votes from 2010 (ahead of the Greens) and therefore it would be wrong of me to suggest the Greens had a right whereas the BNP did not. Their political collapse may be claimed but without electoral evidence it would be unfair to put them out immediately. I would like to add The Respect Party to the list if only for the sole reason I would love to see George Galloway demolish UKIP and the BNP in his usual eloquent fashion, as well as the fact he is currently the MP for Bradford West.

Plaid, the SNP, the DUP and other regional parties I would be against taking part in the debates solely because they would mostly an irrelevance to most voters across the UK. If the Greens or Respect saw their inclusion in the televised debates, it would encourage them to field more candidates as they are cross-regional parties.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HJ M)
That will just turn into a brawl!
Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage, people will finally learn the difference between the two.
Habsburg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UKIP and Greens - UKIP if they maintain their recent surge in the polls (I understand this might have cooled off a bit), and the Greens because they have an MP.

That being said, I don't really like the idea of these Prime Ministerial debates anyway. Let's not forget, as important as the candidates for Prime Minister might be, it's not strictly speaking an election to determine our head of government - it's about the constituencies. I prefer a weaker, primus inter pares PM and a more assertive Parliament myself.

(Original post by anarchism101)
I agree; the BNP have been finished for a while now - I'm not sure whether this is because people have lost what little appetite they had for them, or because of the dreadful (from what I've heard) financial situation within the party.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (157)
59.7%
I don't have everything I need (106)
40.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed