The Student Room Group

Best film courses.

HELP!

I'm looking at doing a Film prodution course (I'd like one with both theoritcal and practical elements - love making AND writing about film) but don't know where the best courses are!

i've looked at mostly Uni's with Creative Skillset so far, and am going to look at Bournemouth Arts, Westminster, Staffordshire, and University of Creative Arts and Ravensbourne. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on these courses?

Or any other good courses and Uni's to go look out?

i'd like a course that gives me both knowledge in theory and practical and also some with industry links and professionals and before you say you might aswell go gain experience and not go, i'd still like to study for a bit longer. So wanna go. My target grades for A levels are A*, A, B. So if you know any good courses, please tell me!

PLEASE HELP :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Pop princess you give good advice. Ravensbourne for instance has incredibly
Poor NSS figures. Should not be in business.
Reply 2
oh joy!...another thread that starts the onslaught of mickey mouse debate rubbish undermining worthy qualifications teaching and developing skills and analytical ability whilst encouraging actual creative output....however, putting aside how others will think you far to clever to be accepted to courses with some of the highest number of applicants to available places...to actually answer your q have you thought of this http://www.oldvic.ac.uk/be-seen-be-heard2.html
Have you checked out the film course for UEA?
Reply 4
Reply 5
Hi. thanks for some of you're suggestions. I think I have my final 5 - Bournemouth Arts, Westminster, Central Lancashire, York and Norwich. I defiantly wanted one with a Creative Skillset because they train for you for the industry so you'll more likely to be hired when you finish you're degree. I would LOVE to go to the Met Film School, yet have you SEEN their prices?! Blimey.
Reply 6
I am currently a first year at Central Lancashire doing Film Production and so far it has been a bit stop and start but the course has a good mix of stuff and you work on a feature film in the second year, which I believe no other university does. Also in your first year be prepared to work on DV tape which can be quite annoying but yeah you just have to put up with it haha. Also Bournemouth Arts university is a good choice but with me they rejected me straight away without even offering an interview so...UCA Farnham seemed good too and that was my insurance choice. I also applied and looked at Gloucestershire and the uni was great, they had some good facilities and they'd had some quite cool guest speakers come in from the industry too, but I just didn't see myself getting the grades to get in so I turned down the offer of an interview, although I'd still recommend considering it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm fairly certain Met Film School has been around for years and years..
Fundamentally, excluding Met Film School because of their extortionate prices, AUB and Westminster are the two best courses in the UK. Westminster has a bit more theory in its course than AUB which tends to be more practical, whilst also being a bit more arty. Westminster has the advantage of being in London (sort of, it's actually in Middlesex) whlist AUB has a better course. I'd recommend checking out the open days for both, and building a really strong portfolio for AUB.
Reply 9
Original post by Royal Tenenbaum
Fundamentally, excluding Met Film School because of their extortionate prices, AUB and Westminster are the two best courses in the UK. Westminster has a bit more theory in its course than AUB which tends to be more practical, whilst also being a bit more arty. Westminster has the advantage of being in London (sort of, it's actually in Middlesex) whlist AUB has a better course. I'd recommend checking out the open days for both, and building a really strong portfolio for AUB.

Any other good courses that you would recommend, preferably in London? Thanks :smile:
P.S. what about Kingston?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by crm114
Any other good courses that you would recommend, preferably in London? Thanks :smile:
P.S. what about Kingston?

Well there's LCC but it seems a bit iffy; they had a decent reputation a while ago but recently have been hit by massive budget and staff cuts so I wouldn't recommend it. I know a couple people who went to LCC and dropped out.

There's also Ravensboure, which is great if you want to be a camera operator or sound recordist because they're very technically oriented but they don't really teach storytelling on their course so wouldn't recommend if you want to direct, write or be a DoP.

Wouldn't recommend Kingston, it doesn't have a reputation for its film course. Essentially, the "best" universities for film production in the UK (in no particular order) are UCA Farnham, Westminster, AUB, Ravensbourne and LCC. Middlesex looks like it has a moderately decent course but it's not in the same league reputation-wise as the others I've listed.
Yeah. I went to LCC and Ravensbourne, and was generally unimpressed by both. All the staff seemed very passionate but I feel Ravensbourne is TOO independent (plus I want a Uni with good accommodation!) and the TV Studio at LCC was pretty poor. Have a nice café though :colondollar: So this week I'm going to look at AUB and Norwich. I've heard good things. Anyone here had any experience with those two?
Reply 12
I do Film and Video at The University of South Wales, Newport, and it's certainly one of the best I've come across. It's got a nice combination of film studies and practical film making, with a variety of films you make throughout the 3 years here, and plenty of opportunity to make films outside of the uni with full access to the equipment, editing suites and of course, the people you meet here. I'm in my third year and I must admit, it's been an amazing 3 years (:
surrey has a good film studies degree and reading uni possibly
Original post by popprincess
Hi,

i dont mean to sound rude, and correct me if im wrong but your predicted grades are pretty good. You could potentially apply to a more prestigious university and do film studies there say exeter or kings college for example and then go on and do a masters in film production later, for example at the national film and television school which do some very prestigious postgrad masters. Im not sure about the reputation of the univiersities for the course you wish to apply for, but employers generally consider undergrad degrees to be 'mickey mouse.' Dont be fooled into thinking that film producers dont need academic qualifications and work experience is more important. If you look at the biographies of some famous film producers, many of them have both. A friend of mine just graduated with a degree from cambridge in english and did a masters in film production at the national film and television school and is now a freelance film producer doing quite well. I'm not meaning to be rude or sound offensive, I'm just saying this to you because you sound like a bright girl who is capable of achieving more

In fact there is no profession which is having less qualified professionals. Be it acting, Journalism, production every single profession seeks techniques and knowledge.
Reply 15
How come it always scores so low in the national student survey, if its so goo at newport?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending