The Student Room Group

Algebratic Fractions

I have been the question
2x/3 + (x - 1)/4 - (x+2)/2 the dash (/) means over but yeah I did some working and so far crossed multiplied 3 (x-1) and 5(2x) which gave 10 x +3x -9/ 15 then tidying up as 13x - 9/15 for the first 2 bits but then i still have the

13x - 9/ 15 - (x+2)/2 which is still there confused can anyone help me?
Reply 1
What's the actual question?
Reply 2
maybe you could scan your question & what you have done so far ?
Reply 3
if the question is just to simplify, try putting everything over a common denominator of 12.
yeah ill put a photo up :smile:
Original post by the bear
maybe you could scan your question & what you have done so far ?

This is the question and the bit im up to the question is C
Reply 6
I'm assuming this (or something close is your question:

Express the following in a simpler form:

2x3+x14x+22\displaystyle \frac{2x}{3} + \frac{x-1}{4} - \frac{x+2}{2}

I wouldn't bother cross multiplying in this case. Instead, I'd split the fractions into things with xx in them, and things without it:

23x+14x1412x+22\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}x + \frac{1}{4}x - \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{2}x + \frac{2}{2}

Then simply group all of the things with xx in together and all of the other things together (so put it as (somenumbers)x+(someothernumbers)(some \, numbers)x + (some \, other \, numbers)) and add the numbers up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BlueSam3
I'm assuming this (or something close is your question:

Express the following in a simpler form:

2x3+x14x+22\displaystyle \frac{2x}{3} + \frac{x-1}{4} - \frac{x+2}{2}

I wouldn't bother cross multiplying in this case. Instead, I'd split the fractions into things with xx in them, and things without it:

23x+14x1412x+22\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}x + \frac{1}{4}x - \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{2}x + \frac{2}{2}

Then simply group all of the things with xx in together and all of the other things together (so put it as
Unparseable latex formula:

(some \. numbers)x + (some \. other \. numbers)

) and add the numbers up.

Quick Reply

Latest