The Student Room Group

Start of AS levels

So I have now been at sixth form for 3 weeks and I have been given so much work already. Does anybody have any tips on how to stay on top of it all?
I am doing Philosophy, English Literature, Biology and Psychology.

Any tips welcome, thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Create a rota at the beginning of each week outlining how many hours each piece of work needs. This will keep you disciplined.

Forget about other social activities this year- seriously. It doesn't make sense to prioritise things that won't get you anywhere or advance your intellect.

At GCSE I achieved mediocre grades but last year I focussed on my AS levels and got 4 A's. It is really worth it, trust me. Your teachers will predict your grades based on your AS results, therefore is it essential you do the best you can.

The key to success for me at AS level was PAST PAPERS! You can never do enough past papers- I recall doing all the Statistics past papers at least twice.

Focus, keep motivated, keep disciplined and recognise your priorities... you'll be fine.
Do your work the night it's set, I know this is easier said than done but it really stops all the work from piling up.

Use your free periods! By doing most of my work in my frees, it gave me more time at the weekend to do what I wanted to do and less work
Reply 3
Wow, I got a thumbs down- wawawawawa- anyway, off to slit my throat.
Reply 4
Original post by HBS1995
Create a rota at the beginning of each week outlining how many hours each piece of work needs. This will keep you disciplined.

Forget about other social activities this year- seriously. It doesn't make sense to prioritise things that won't get you anywhere or advance your intellect.

At GCSE I achieved mediocre grades but last year I focussed on my AS levels and got 4 A's. It is really worth it, trust me. Your teachers will predict your grades based on your AS results, therefore is it essential you do the best you can.

The key to success for me at AS level was PAST PAPERS! You can never do enough past papers- I recall doing all the Statistics past papers at least twice.

Focus, keep motivated, keep disciplined and recognise your priorities... you'll be fine.

Thank you so much for that advice I will definitely use it, my teachers act as if their subject is the only subject I'm taking with the amount they give :frown: congrats on achieving your A's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by pink pineapple
Do your work the night it's set, I know this is easier said than done but it really stops all the work from piling up.

Use your free periods! By doing most of my work in my frees, it gave me more time at the weekend to do what I wanted to do and less work

I can never concentrate in frees but I should maybe start doing work in them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I am SO BEHIND!!! Man, A-Levels are tough.
Reply 7
Original post by clearlygeeky
Thank you so much for that advice I will definitely use it, my teachers act as if their subject is the only subject I'm taking with the amount they give :frown: congrats on achieving your A's!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right? It's like they just want us to do homework. I also hate the fact that they cannot teach us everything, and the things they don't have time to teach are actually the hardest topics. Urgh, A-Levels are not as fun as I thought they would be. Do you like psychology? I find it boring for some reason.
Original post by theJdog
I am SO BEHIND!!! Man, A-Levels are tough.

same and ikr, the next two years are gona be tough :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HBS1995
Wow, I got a thumbs down- wawawawawa- anyway, off to slit my throat.

ima join u, i hate Alevels :/ biology is the worrsttttt and so is psychologyy :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by theJdog
I know right? It's like they just want us to do homework. I also hate the fact that they cannot teach us everything, and the things they don't have time to teach are actually the hardest topics. Urgh, A-Levels are not as fun as I thought they would be. Do you like psychology? I find it boring for some reason.

Tell me about it! Then they expect us to do like reading up and 'studying' like ughs and what exam board are you with? I quite enjoy Psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can never concentrate in frees but I should maybe start doing work in them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a bit like that because if I was with my friends, I wouldn't do any work :tongue: I found working in the library to be really good though because the quietness and the lack of distractions really helped me to focus and concentrate :smile: Also if music helps you to focus, that really helped me whilst I was working too.
Reply 12
Original post by XXSimranXX
same and ikr, the next two years are gona be tough :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, yes they are :frown:
Reply 13
Tell me about it! Then they expect us to do like reading up and 'studying' like ughs and what exam board are you with? I quite enjoy Psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Are you doing AQA A? And atm we doing research methods.
Reply 14
And how are you guys revising for AS BIO??? I have no clue how to revise for it. And our school force us to make some sort of notes, even though it may not be too helpful. So how are you guys revising for it? atm im studying cells exchange and transport. it is quite easy, but i have no clue how to make notes for it :frown:
Original post by theJdog
yes, yes they are :frown:

thing is im really lazy aswelll :/ so im finding it really hard to even get work done :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
thing is im really lazy aswelll :/ so im finding it really hard to even get work done :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same :biggrin: I cba to do work and stuff :P So what are ya A-Levels??
Honestly you don't have to cut out all your social activities at all! Last year I ran three stage shows, more charity events than I can remember, am a member of the school council AND worked. I came out with BBC. Admittedly revision was my downfall but I now have the grades and experience to practically walk into my degree.

So just knuckle down when you need to, enjoy yourself and you will achieve well!
Original post by theJdog
Haha same :biggrin: I cba to do work and stuff :P So what are ya A-Levels??

ikr its just effort and im doing biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology (oh wait iv also put ma name down to do citizenship but we havent strted that yet) wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
ikr its just effort and im doing biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology (oh wait iv also put ma name down to do citizenship but we havent strted that yet) wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

bio, chem, psycho and maths stats :biggrin: have you already started revising? how did you make notes for bio?

Quick Reply

Latest