Watch
This discussion is closed.
flygirl64
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys,

I need some hardcore advice, i'm a repented party goer and i have decided to give up on raves and events.

I study economics and i'm in my final year [Start on monday] I want to get a first class and i won't stop at anything until i get that grade.
Do you have any tips/perks that i can take on board whilst trying to accomplish this task of getting a 1st ?? If you got a 2:1 or a 1st in economics your advice will be highly valued.

Please no irony or sarcasm- I appreciate Jokes but this is my life its now or never.

Thanks in advance for the Advice and tips i'll get from you guys
Arketec
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What are you reading ATM?
Eloquai
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How well did you do in Year 2? If you scored 1sts/high 2:1s then you're probably already on the right track - just keep working hard and don't give up. If you're in the middle 2:1 range, then look back over previous coursework and see what areas you need to improve upon.

No matter what though, the same basic rules always apply: doing all the reading (and more if possible), make sure you know your topics inside and out, make sure you know exactly what your tutors are looking for in essays and exams, start revising early and then do a little more reading...

As long as you're passionate and you've got that goal of a 1st class honours degree in mind then everything else should fall into place naturally.
flygirl64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arketec)
What are you reading ATM?
Finance and Economics
flygirl64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eloquai)
How well did you do in Year 2? If you scored 1sts/high 2:1s then you're probably already on the right track - just keep working hard and don't give up. If you're in the middle 2:1 range, then look back over previous coursework and see what areas you need to improve upon.

No matter what though, the same basic rules always apply: doing all the reading (and more if possible), make sure you know your topics inside and out, make sure you know exactly what your tutors are looking for in essays and exams, start revising early and then do a little more reading...

As long as you're passionate and you've got that goal of a 1st class honours degree in mind then everything else should fall into place naturally.

Man i was probably on a 2:2 last year, cos i didn't do too well. I'll take on board what you just told me - Thanks a lot
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Forego an excessive social life. Learn to love the library. Work your arse off.
flygirl64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Forego an excessive social life. Learn to love the library. Work your arse off.
Note taken! Social life will be drastically reduced - And that includes sitting on the stairs/kitchen chatting with my housemates..

The bit about loving the library - Is it necessary? As i already have most/all of the books needed for final year and i do the reading at home.

or does the library add that invisible touch of genius to a students work ethic??

Thanks for your advice
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by flygirl64)
Note taken! Social life will be drastically reduced - And that includes sitting on the stairs/kitchen chatting with my housemates..

The bit about loving the library - Is it necessary? As i already have most/all of the books needed for final year and i do the reading at home.

or does the library add that invisible touch of genius to a students work ethic??

Thanks for your advice
Probably just less full of distraction, so more emphasis on working. That said, most people in the Lanch just check out Facebook anyway.

Still, the quiet work areas can let you just press on with things a lot faster. As you said, you won't be able to sit on the stairs and chat to housemates if you're not near them.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks for your advice
Not necessary, but I personally found it easier to concentrate in that environment. Less distractions.
flygirl64
Rep:
?
Yup note taken!! Any sources for essay questions ? I study financial economics by the way.

i saw the marked essays on the student room but they are mostly premium as in you have to pay for it - Who knows if they're any good ?
Ben_K
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Read more, study more. Do more papers, revise revise revise.
placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My advice is to concentrate on the larger modules.
Obviously try and aim for a first in everything, but realistically very few people would be able to do that.

Work for a long time each weekday, and don't procrastinate!

Having said that, if you do a major project and/or dissertation, don't over-prioritise this.
Definitely try and do very well in it, but don't let it eat up all of your time during the term!

If there are any areas of economics you are especially good at (are there?) then try and make the most of this by choosing appropriate options where possible and making sure you achieve your potential in these areas in the exams.
flygirl64
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HEY GUYS I DID IT!!!!

Results just came out a few days back and i got a FIRST CLASS HONORS!!

I took everyone's advice; I went to the library 3 days a week starting from October 2013, there were some weeks where i could go 6 days including saturday but the least i did was 3 days when i was tired.

Spent a minimum of 2hours in there.. its not about how long you spend in there its about how much you learn in there. . started my dissertation in december, stalled a bit in february because i thought i had much time.. left my referencing late, ended up rushing the referencing and getting 10% deducted from my work but i still scored 68%, i wonder what the original mark would have been *CRIES*

For my 1ST exam in jan - got 87% in the phase test and then messed up and got 60% in the exam - with a 75/25% split i got circa 66% overall there

2nd exam - 66% coursework 67% exam

Worried i went to see my mentor, why am i hovering in the 2:1 area?, i need to get a first. My mentor applauded me for my vast improvement from the low 2:2's of second year and then noted that it was not a problem of knowledge but my writing skills that needed to be fixed.

Went to academic center took advice on writing skills, presentation and critical analysis. (Had cut off boys, partying and unserious friends) wasn't even buying stuff for myself anymore, promised to reward myself when this was over.

Mentor told me that these high 2:1's will help me get a first if i can work hard for the remaining 4 modules.

3rd exam - 72% in coursework, 85% in exam yaay

4th exam - 60% in coursework, 68% in exam - My fault, i slipped a little and had some late nights watching movies.

5th module - 66% IN Coursework, 83% in exam hmmm (i dont think the split was 75/25 here)

6th module - 70% coursework , 84% exam hmmm (i dont think the split was 75/25 here)

Mentor said if i had one more year i'd surely get like 70's all the way through ... i resigned that i had failed to acheve my goal and i had gotten a very high 2:1.

Started applying to jobs and in my CV i'd say "predicted a 2:1 in economics and finance"

Then a few days back my friend goes "results are out, check yours" and im like "yeah its most likely a 2:1 but id love to see my individual scores"

Checks it..You have been awarded a first class honors in econo.." I went crazyyyyy ... i've been partying and shopping since then.. I am literally down to the last £100 in my account but i dont care.. I accomplished my goal and i thank you all for the advice .. it may not seem that much to you but the advice helped me a LOT and gave me motivation.

Anyhoo, need some income now.. i have been advised to work for a couple years before going back to do my MBA. Job search has been going okay so far but when i check guardian jobs, i have noticed that some of the roles are not what they seem to be.

For example a role would say : Financial publishing role, or Financial consultant.

I'd apply and then the recruitment agency would call me and rapidly ask me random questions that have nothing to do with my course (And they seem to be rude with bad telephone manners). And then i'd be like "isn't this a finance/investment banking role?"

And they would say "Oh not quite but this is a finance related role, you will be the PA/SECRETARY for the financial publishers or the financial consultant role is another name for financial recruitment"

Its kinda annoying, i want an investment banking related role, start as a sales person or something and then possibly move on to be a trader or go into another branch like corporate banking.

Ive blabbed a lot but im so excited.. once again thanks EVERYONE and i'd appreciate any tips you have for job searching
Engineer2015
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HEY GUYS I DID IT!!!!

Results just came out a few days back and i got a FIRST CLASS HONORS!!

I took everyone's advice; I went to the library 3 days a week starting from October 2013, there were some weeks where i could go 6 days including saturday but the least i did was 3 days when i was tired.

Spent a minimum of 2hours in there.. its not about how long you spend in there its about how much you learn in there. . started my dissertation in december, stalled a bit in february because i thought i had much time.. left my referencing late, ended up rushing the referencing and getting 10% deducted from my work but i still scored 68%, i wonder what the original mark would have been *CRIES*

For my 1ST exam in jan - got 87% in the phase test and then messed up and got 60% in the exam - with a 75/25% split i got circa 66% overall there

2nd exam - 66% coursework 67% exam

Worried i went to see my mentor, why am i hovering in the 2:1 area?, i need to get a first. My mentor applauded me for my vast improvement from the low 2:2's of second year and then noted that it was not a problem of knowledge but my writing skills that needed to be fixed.

Went to academic center took advice on writing skills, presentation and critical analysis. (Had cut off boys, partying and unserious friends) wasn't even buying stuff for myself anymore, promised to reward myself when this was over.

Mentor told me that these high 2:1's will help me get a first if i can work hard for the remaining 4 modules.

3rd exam - 72% in coursework, 85% in exam yaay

4th exam - 60% in coursework, 68% in exam - My fault, i slipped a little and had some late nights watching movies.

5th module - 66% IN Coursework, 83% in exam hmmm (i dont think the split was 75/25 here)

6th module - 70% coursework , 84% exam hmmm (i dont think the split was 75/25 here)

Mentor said if i had one more year i'd surely get like 70's all the way through ... i resigned that i had failed to acheve my goal and i had gotten a very high 2:1.

Started applying to jobs and in my CV i'd say "predicted a 2:1 in economics and finance"

Then a few days back my friend goes "results are out, check yours" and im like "yeah its most likely a 2:1 but id love to see my individual scores"

Checks it..You have been awarded a first class honors in econo.." I went crazyyyyy ... i've been partying and shopping since then.. I am literally down to the last £100 in my account but i dont care.. I accomplished my goal and i thank you all for the advice .. it may not seem that much to you but the advice helped me a LOT and gave me motivation.

Anyhoo, need some income now.. i have been advised to work for a couple years before going back to do my MBA. Job search has been going okay so far but when i check guardian jobs, i have noticed that some of the roles are not what they seem to be.

For example a role would say : Financial publishing role, or Financial consultant.

I'd apply and then the recruitment agency would call me and rapidly ask me random questions that have nothing to do with my course (And they seem to be rude with bad telephone manners). And then i'd be like "isn't this a finance/investment banking role?"

And they would say "Oh not quite but this is a finance related role, you will be the PA/SECRETARY for the financial publishers or the financial consultant role is another name for financial recruitment"

Its kinda annoying, i want an investment banking related role, start as a sales person or something and then possibly move on to be a trader or go into another branch like corporate banking.

Ive blabbed a lot but im so excited.. once again thanks EVERYONE and i'd appreciate any tips you have for job searching
Good job, I'm in the same place as you were. In my first year i scraped a 2:1 and got 60.5% average, this year (2nd) I've put my head down and now I have a 74% average.
ah16061
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just 59.5% average for 2 years. I am going to be like you flygirl and make sure I get a 1st class overall for my third year this eyar! wish me luck!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ah16061)
I have just 59.5% average for 2 years. I am going to be like you flygirl and make sure I get a 1st class overall for my third year this eyar! wish me luck!
Luck!

But this is an old thread (OP hasn't been on TSR for nearly 2 years), and is now closed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (129)
59.45%
No (47)
21.66%
Not sure (41)
18.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed