The Student Room Group

Anyone had a long time off uni due to illness? Advice?

I've been ill for about six weeks now. I don't know what it is, and the doctors just keep telling me it's a virus. I've been unable to do anything strenuous, and the most I have done in the past six weeks is go out for an hour for a sandwich, and that was difficult.

Today I was supposed to go to uni to change a class time. I commute two hours each way (various reasons that aren't relevant), and found that once I'd got half the way there, I couldn't carry on and so had to get the train home again. I felt dizzy, sick and really fatigued. I am due to start classes properly on Monday. It's my final year so super important.

I don't know what to do! Can anyone who has experience of long absences tell me how your uni handled it? I really don't want to have to take a leave of absence :frown:

It's very annoying because I think if I lived in my uni city I could handle going to class for a couple of hours and going home back to bed, but it's the commute which is killing me at the moment :frown: I'm worried about the future of my degree.
I missed out on two years of education after suffering a serious sports injury, the NHS then messed me around for over a year on waiting lists, waiting for surgery. I had to pay for the scans myself as they made me wait over a year for them.

Its not that I was paralysed or anything, it was a tendon supture I suffered, which left me in chronic pain, 24/7, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and the NHS didn't care.

Only getting back on my feet this past year, onwards and upwards.

Quick Reply

Latest