The Student Room Group

Qatar Slave Labour World Cup -44 Dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24282713

I know the Quran does not encourage or reject slavery but its a large part of Sharia law, mohammed himself was a slave owner. Is this seen as appropriate behaviour for muslims?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
all the arab countries are the same - as the report states, Qatar treats immigrants inhumanely , that's an arab trait to all non arabs "Quran does not encourage or reject slavery " - are you having a laugh? its full of references to slavery. The arab slave trade in Africa was the longest running In human history -over 1000 years. Now that's all been criminalised, this is the next best thing for them - ship over and pay peanuts the Africans and Asians , they used to colonise for free
Not a shocker they have a long history of slavery even against white people though I doubt most white people know that about the white slave trades.
Reply 3
Original post by Bill_Gates

I know the Quran does not encourage or reject slavery but its a large part of Sharia law, mohammed himself was a slave owner. Is this seen as appropriate behaviour for muslims?

Of course not.........

All the crappy arse Gulf states are all like this............more than happy to exploit another group of people to build their nation on the cheap.

Its actually nothing new...........it happened a lot in Dubai from past investigations, U.A.E, etc
Their laws are so messed up, literally no one follows the laws properly, easily manipulate migrants simply as they don't know how to get out. So much restrictions on migrants.

It doesn't matter what their faith is...........these countries exploit everyone who come for work particular from south Asia, including fellow Muslims. There is a lot of racism particularly in nations where there is a large working migrant population, especially towards South Asians.

Nepal banned women under 30 from going there and working as a result, there is no protection for migrants at all..............they are literally annoying a lot of countries with how their citizens are being treated, but because they got oil they are unwilling to make a proper effort.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
If true, this is both terrible and not surprising...

Typical Islamophobe, had no reason to bring Islam into it, but chose to still use this as an excuse to take a swipe at it.

1. Just to correct you, Muhammad (peace be upon him) eventually freed all the slaves that he had (including directly freeing 60+ others) and his family/friends (based on his encouragement) freed in total 33, 000 + slaves (which is huge in the context of Arabian population).

2. Generally speaking, slaves were treated much better than what that link is showing.

"Other cultures limit a master's right to harm a slave but few exhort masters to treat their slaves kindly, and the placement of slaves in the same category as other weak members of society who deserve protection is unknown outside the Qur'an. The unique contribution of the Qur'an, then, is to be found in its emphasis on the place of slaves in society and society's responsibility toward the slave, perhaps the most progressive legislation on slavery in its time" - Encyclopedia of the Qur'an, Slaves and Slavery

3. If you actually want to know what Shariah says about paying wages fairly and on time then here;

{Woe to those that deal in fraud. Those who, when they have to receive by measure from men, exact full measure. But when they have to give by measure or weight to men, give less than due. Do they not think that they will be called to account? On a Mighty Day. A Day when (all) mankind will stand before the Lord of the Worlds.} (Qur'an 83:1-6)

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him said); "Give to the worker his wages before his sweat dries." (Ibn Majah)

4. How workers should be treated;

“Good treatment of those under you brings fortune, whilst bad treatment brings misfortune.”
(Abu Dawud)

".... Do not give them work that will overburden them and if you give them such task then provide them assistance." (Al-Bukhari)

That's Islam, not your bigoted perceptions of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the Naziism is nicer than Islam, almost identical ideals.
Reply 6
Original post by Al-Mudaari
If true, this is both terrible and not surprising...

Typical Islamophobe, had no reason to bring Islam into it, but chose to still use this as an excuse to take a swipe at it.

1. Just to correct you, Muhammad (peace be upon him) eventually freed all the slaves that he had (including directly freeing 60+ others) and his family/friends (based on his encouragement) freed in total 33, 000 + slaves (which is huge in the context of Arabian population).

2. Generally speaking, slaves were treated much better than what that link is showing.

"Other cultures limit a master's right to harm a slave but few exhort masters to treat their slaves kindly, and the placement of slaves in the same category as other weak members of society who deserve protection is unknown outside the Qur'an. The unique contribution of the Qur'an, then, is to be found in its emphasis on the place of slaves in society and society's responsibility toward the slave, perhaps the most progressive legislation on slavery in its time" - Encyclopedia of the Qur'an, Slaves and Slavery

3. If you actually want to know what Shariah says about paying wages fairly and on time then here;

{Woe to those that deal in fraud. Those who, when they have to receive by measure from men, exact full measure. But when they have to give by measure or weight to men, give less than due. Do they not think that they will be called to account? On a Mighty Day. A Day when (all) mankind will stand before the Lord of the Worlds.} (Qur'an 83:1-6)

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him said); "Give to the worker his wages before his sweat dries." (Ibn Majah)

4. How workers should be treated;

“Good treatment of those under you brings fortune, whilst bad treatment brings misfortune.”
(Abu Dawud)

".... Do not give them work that will overburden them and if you give them such task then provide them assistance." (Al-Bukhari)

That's Islam, not your bigoted perceptions of it.

You appear to of pin pointed a few lines, as a worker none of this sounds great. Im 100% against slavery of any kind and as you can see today incentive works far greater which Mohammed failed to realise.
Reply 7
You appear to of pin pointed a few lines, as a worker none of this sounds great. Im 100% against slavery of any kind and as you can see today incentive works far greater which Mohammed failed to realise.

So as a worker none of the following;

- Payment on time
- Fair/equal payment, regardless of gender
- Burden-less work (that includes something that isn't a health risk)

Doesn't sound great to you?

Well, I'm sure Employers would love you then. Go to China, you'll get easy work.
Reply 8
So as a worker none of the following;

- Payment on time
- Fair/equal payment, regardless of gender
- Burden-less work (that includes something that isn't a health risk)

Doesn't sound great to you?

Well, I'm sure Employers would love you then. Go to China, you'll get easy work.

I'll go where i want thanks. Slavery doesn't sound great to me or forced conversions or the unequal treatment and murder of non muslims. Thanks anyway troll.
Reply 9
I'll go where i want thanks. Slavery doesn't sound great to me or forced conversions or the unequal treatment and murder of non muslims. Thanks anyway troll.

Right, just go somewhere Islamophobes are welcome.
Reply 10
Right, just go somewhere Islamophobes are welcome.

I dont need to go anywhere, Islamophobe? interesting way to label healthy debate. Its ok to be wrong sometimes, even the Nazi's had doubts.
Reply 11
I dont need to go anywhere, Islamophobe? interesting way to label healthy debate. Its ok to be wrong sometimes, even the Nazi's had doubts.

Healthy debate lmao, you couldn't even prove a single one of your claims. You simply ignored mine and then kept coming up with random anti-Islam rhetoric that hardly has anything to do with the topic.

Muslims should never be given an inch they will take a mile, its in their nature.

Typical Islamophobe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Healthy debate lmao, you couldn't even prove a single one of your claims. You simply ignored mine and then kept coming up with random anti-Islam rhetoric that hardly has anything to do with the topic.

Typical Islamophobe.

of course it wasn't a healthy debate you got out the magnifying glass picked out a couple of lines from a book which is supposedly perfect and encourages slavery and the other ills and evils we see today. I would of got a better debate from a Nazi.
Health and safety western style hasn't reached big parts of the world
Saudi Arabia only officially criminalised slavery in 1973.

So, just to confirm, Muhammad kept slaves and you're using that to argue that the Qur'an/Islam doesn't encourage slavery?

OK.
Reply 16
Original post by Wilfred Little
So, just to confirm, Muhammad kept slaves and you're using that to argue that the Qur'an/Islam doesn't encourage slavery?

OK.

So just to confirm, you read a statement I made and then gave it your own twisted interpretation to mean "Islam encouraged slavery"? Like, you actually even read it only up to the part about "Muhammad kept slaves", then quickly clicked the quote button, scrolled down and posted this reply?

OK.
So just to confirm, you read a statement I made and then gave it your own twisted interpretation to mean "Islam encouraged slavery"? Like, you actually even read it only up to the part about "Muhammad kept slaves", then quickly clicked the quote button, scrolled down and posted this reply?

OK.

I'm not saying it does or doesn't encourage slavery. I'm saying if you're going to argue that Islam doesn't encourage slavery, it might be best not to use a bloke who you said actually kept slaves to back your argument.

#js
Original post by Iqbal007
Of course not.........

All the crappy arse Gulf states are all like this............more than happy to exploit another group of people to build their nation on the cheap.

Its actually nothing new...........it happened a lot in Dubai from past investigations, U.A.E, etc
Their laws are so messed up, literally no one follows the laws properly, easily manipulate migrants simply as they don't know how to get out. So much restrictions on migrants.

It doesn't matter what their faith is...........these countries exploit everyone who come for work particular from south Asia, including fellow Muslims. There is a lot of racism particularly in nations where there is a large working migrant population, especially towards South Asians.

Nepal banned women under 30 from going there and working as a result, there is no protection for migrants at all..............they are literally annoying a lot of countries with how their citizens are being treated, but because they got oil they are unwilling to make a proper effort.

I suppose the only positive that comes out of this is that these workers do actually send a hell lot of money back to Pakistan and Bangladesh leading to significant poverty reduction and economic growth in certain areas.
Is anyone surprised given the majority religion of that country?

Tbh I do blame the west though, I mean we're the ones giving it money for oil, we should've either civilised them or put them down and saved money on oil, rather than give it money and allow it to continue it's medieval culture of suffering and hell on earth.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending