The Student Room Group

I can't make people laugh and that makes me feel depressed

Well I don't think I can.

I intellectually understand something's funny and will in my head be able to dissect the elements of the joke and this is kinda instantaneous so I find stuff funny (although don't always get it). However I feel like I can't make anyone laugh. With my best friends, hell even my dad, the jokes fall flat on the face. All I can seem to be is 'nice' 'somewhat friendly' or 'smart'. I'd like to be a bit funny too.

Can anybody please give me tips on how to master the art of making another laugh?
I reckon you should watch some stand-up, observe the professionals at work. I'm not saying you should develop an "act" or anything, just learn about delivery etc.
Reply 2
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I reckon you should watch some stand-up, observe the professionals at work. I'm not saying you should develop an "act" or anything, just learn about delivery etc.

I do this and obviously if I recite a joke people will find it funny, but anyone can do that. Original material not so much. I balk, sometimes I'll hear the obligatory polite chuckle from my friend or family, other times there'll just be a grunt, or a sigh and an inhalation of breath as if to say 'moving swiftly on...'
I'm terrible at being witty these days and I don't know why
Jokes are overrated in today's society. I prefer an act. That being said, comedy is a talent; intellectuals cannot simply learn to be 'comedic'. I would argue that your self-esteem and self-confidence go some way towards giving you 'comedic' prowess... As you're able to better relate to people and your environment. *Shrug*.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Unfortunately you can't really learn to be funny, I think it's one of those things where you have it or you don't.
It's no big deal. not everyone is funny. I'm certainly not. doesn't mean you can't be fun to be around. I don't think it's something you can really learn and it's always awkward when someone who isn't funny tries to take the spotlight and ends up ruining the mood. People will still like you if you laugh and appreciate their jokes rather than trying and failing to compete with them.
Original post by Riku

I intellectually understand something's funny and will in my head be able to dissect the elements of the joke and this is kinda instantaneous so I find stuff funny (although don't always get it). However I feel like I can't make anyone laugh. With my best friends, hell even my dad, the jokes fall flat on the face. All I can seem to be is 'nice' 'somewhat friendly' or 'smart'. I'd like to be a bit funny too.

Can anybody please give me tips on how to master the art of making another laugh?

It's pretty much simple. For example, If I have friends with some internationals or foreign people at uni, whenever they bring up a discussion i say things random in their language (google it) and they start laughing.That will start the ball rolling :smile:
If you have nothing humorous to say - don't bother trying to be witty

even if you drop the occasional wit bomb every few days, you will still be considered a funny guy
Original post by Riku

Hmm, I can make people laugh very easily (though I pay them well to make sure they do) - in my experience there's a couple of more basic categories

1) Imagined situation - where you create an imagined scenario which someone will find funny by imagining it. Quite a tricky one, since it relies on that person being on the ball somewhat and you delivering a concise image, otherwise it's rambling, or they don't get it. You also need to fit it into the conversation quickly, I'm having trouble coming up with an example now because I've not got anything to work with, so it requires practice.

2) Self-deprecation (deadpanning) - you make a joke at your own expense without showing any emotion (like I did in the first line), then the humour derives from them trying to see whether you're being serious or not. Quite an easy one since you can just be as imaginative as you want, just try and insert an element of daftness so they don't completely fall for it. Works well at a party with a few friends and some strangers, because the friends will instantly see it and lead it out of being believable and into being a joke. Don't do it too much though, or people will start believing you. And that's awkward :lol:

Other than that it comes down to practice, your mind gets sharper at it the more you do it (take comedians on Mock the Week for example). It's also related to IQ, because you'll be able to spot ties between things which can be manipulated to create wordplay and the like. Watching comedy panel shows (Mock the Week, QI, Would I Lie To You) would help, in my opinion, because that contains conversational humour, rather than stand-up which is designed towards creating a performance. In general people find things funny from knowing that they 'got it'. So whether that's a bad pun, or some self-deprecation, or a funny scenario, people will laugh because they feel included in what's being discussed, because you're making them feel smart for being able to follow the conversation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for all the tips! I'll look into these :smile:
I think theres a deeper cause for your depression. Maybe you're insecure about yourself and you're humour covers that up, abit like Chandler in friends
Its probably not you or your humor, its the fact that most people are too oblivious, self centered, and rude and if suggest trying your humor online rather than the lifeless dishrags that you are trying to please in person. Most humor Isn't nessesarily laugh-out-loud funny, but smiling and laughing is part of polite socialization and personal connection. Next time your trying hard with your so called friends or colleagues to get a laugh, resort to really funny personal insults to get some attention. Don't stop until you have no choice but find new friends. Friends shouldn't keep you depressed and if they are too cool to give you a chuckle or a smile and make you feel liked and valued, screw um.
Original post by M. de Barthe
Jokes are overrated in today's society. I prefer an act. That being said, comedy is a talent; intellectuals cannot simply learn to be 'comedic'. I would argue that your self-esteem and self-confidence go some way towards giving you 'comedic' prowess... As you're able to better relate to people and your environment. *Shrug*.

Nonesense. Wit, timing, comparisons, story telling, exaggeration and finding something outrageous to say are all skills one can learn and develope. Its finding the right people to evolve with personality-wise. Take risks. Be loud. Don't be afraid to let your mouth get you in a little trouble now and then

Latest

Trending

Trending