The Student Room Group

Will I like Geology at degree?

Hello! So I've always liked Geology. Finding out about the earth, volcanoes, earthquakes etc. But! I started an As course in it but I hated it and dropped it immediately. The teacher was droning on for an hour and a half about this rock she held in her hands and it just totally turned me off.

Is a degree in Geology going to be the same? Obviously I understand that its going to have some of that and I don't mind if the rocks are being used as evidence or what not but.. Yeah I hope someone understands what I mean!

Before you suggest geography or what not, I really like the sound of careers related to Geology and there seem to be more jobs that enable travel and working outdoors with geology which seems fantastic.

Are there any books or something you could suggest so I can try to make sure that I'm making the right decision?

Thank you, Sally
I've never studied Geology, but in my experience anything can be interesting if you come at it from the right approach. I wouldn't be too hasty to brush anything aside and label it "boring". But if you like the travel and working outdoors, you could consider other Geoscience areas that offer that, but are less dependant on the study of rocks. - Environmental science for example. Edinburgh University does a wide range of these sorts of degrees I think - might be worth checking them out.
Original post by sallyworbey
Hello! So I've always liked Geology. Finding out about the earth, volcanoes, earthquakes etc. But! I started an As course in it but I hated it and dropped it immediately. The teacher was droning on for an hour and a half about this rock she held in her hands and it just totally turned me off.

Is a degree in Geology going to be the same? Obviously I understand that its going to have some of that and I don't mind if the rocks are being used as evidence or what not but.. Yeah I hope someone understands what I mean!

Before you suggest geography or what not, I really like the sound of careers related to Geology and there seem to be more jobs that enable travel and working outdoors with geology which seems fantastic.

Are there any books or something you could suggest so I can try to make sure that I'm making the right decision?

Thank you, Sally

Try "the earth" by Richard Fortey and/or "Supercontinent" by Ted Nield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi man,

Any course you do will have some parts with bore you. I thoroughly disliked my mineralogy lectures, and the palynology work I did. You will thrive in some parts of it, but hate others. Try to focus on all the bits you like to do when doing projects etc, that'll keep you focused and prove to yourself that it might just be one or two out of eight classes which bore you, or maybe even the teaching style of that particular teacher.
Reply 4
On my course this year 3/6 of my modules are geography/geology based and one is actually shared with geology students. Over the last couple of weeks I have have 3x2 hour lectures on sedimentary/igneous/metamorphic rocks. We have also studied the formation of the planets and about plate tectonics and finally mineralogy and radiometric dating so far in that topic.
Hi Sally,

It might be worth looking at the BSc (Hons) Physical Geography and Geology course (Geol Soc accredited) at Plymouth University in Devon, or similar courses around the UK with a wide variety of module choices.

It might interest you to follow the link I have provided at the bottom of the post, and scroll down to where you can click on the module titles. This function will allow you to peruse in your own time the different modules studied on a typical geology degree, (including elements of volcanology and seismology).

http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2944/Pages/CourseDetail.aspx

I mention this course as it has one of the most active fieldwork components in the subject in the UK, outside the multpile UK trips (all four countries) I studied in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Spain, France, Sicily, the Canadian High-Arctic, and Switzerland.

The physical geography element of it, adds in geomorphology, glaciology, climate change, tectonic geomorphology, GIS applications (very useful in any geology career!) etc...

Lastly, look at the teaching/student satisfaction for teaching when considering universities, a number of reports have come out slating the teaching quality at various top end universities; if you wish to enter into research then UCL etc are the ones to go for, if you would prefer industry work then Portsmouth, Aberdeen, Imperial, Plymouth, and Birmingham are excellent.

Food for thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending