The Student Room Group

Moving from the US to the UK

Hey guys, I'm an international student from India and lived in Singapore all my life. I recently moved to Rutgers University in the States and haven't been able to settle down at all. The culture here is extremely different from what I've been use to and being someone who's travelled to England a few times I can say that I fit in very well there.

Having spoken to my parents they completely understand my situation and encourage me to apply to the UK as a freshman (the course is 3 years long instead of 4 so still graduate in 2017). Now my IB scores are as follows: HLS: 6 business 6 econs 5 English A1...SLs: math 5 environmental systems 5 and Spanish ab 3 + 2 points from TOK and EE... Now these grades are quite a few points of the unis I was aiming for so decided to email the unis I want to apply to asking if they take college GPA into consideration, most said no only IB but the likes of Southampton and university of Manchester said they would consider my application. I've been working really hard thus far in college and my AA expects a GPA of at least 3.8. The main question I wanted to ask was what type of offer I can expect (conditional or unconditional?) and how long I can expect to wait for a decision from these unis after applying. The reason being is I can't handle it here and want to leave ASAP, the moment I get an offer I'd like to take a flight back to Singapore then take a gap year of sorts before starting Uni in September. Sorry for so much text, just wanted to make sure people could get a little background of the situation so they could better answer the questions

PS I'm applying for a Business/Management course
No-one can predict exactly what offer you will get, and you have already spoken to the universities directly. If your IB grades are too low and they want to take your GPA into account this would obviously be a conditional offer, and you would have to stay in America until the end of the year. If this isn't something you want to do, have you looked at universities with lower IB requirements?

Unfortunately, we also can't tell you how long it will take for you to get an offer. If you're applying just on the basis of the IB you already have, then it could be quite quickly. If you're a more borderline applicant, or the university is just taking its time, you could be waiting until next march.

Finally, please do bear in mind the personal statement you need to write is very different to your admissions essays for American colleges. There is plenty of advice on TSR about what to include, so, have a look at this. We also offer a private review service, which it might be worth using (but this only guarentees 1 review, so it's best to have as good a draft as possible available).
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
No-one can predict exactly what offer you will get, and you have already spoken to the universities directly. If your IB grades are too low and they want to take your GPA into account this would obviously be a conditional offer, and you would have to stay in America until the end of the year. If this isn't something you want to do, have you looked at universities with lower IB requirements?

Unfortunately, we also can't tell you how long it will take for you to get an offer. If you're applying just on the basis of the IB you already have, then it could be quite quickly. If you're a more borderline applicant, or the university is just taking its time, you could be waiting until next march.

Finally, please do bear in mind the personal statement you need to write is very different to your admissions essays for American colleges. There is plenty of advice on TSR about what to include, so, have a look at this. We also offer a private review service, which it might be worth using (but this only guarentees 1 review, so it's best to have as good a draft as possible available).

Cheers for the reply mate. By the end of the year I'm hoping you mean the calender year 2013? I'll get my GPA by December end. Returning to the States for a 2nd Semester with credits being nontransferable from the US to the UK seems like a waste of money. Southampton just asked me for my predicted GPA grades while all Manchester said is they would consider my application so a bit lost ATM. I'm going to apply to a University I know I can get into for sure just in case things don't work out with Manchester and the like. I know this is a bit of a stretch but do you by any idea know how long Manchester or Southampton take to respond?

I've already wrote and edited my Personal Statement several times and IMO its quite solid now, I'll have a look at this review that's available though :smile:
Original post by cassiusclaymore
Cheers for the reply mate. By the end of the year I'm hoping you mean the calender year 2013? I'll get my GPA by December end. Returning to the States for a 2nd Semester with credits being nontransferable from the US to the UK seems like a waste of money. Southampton just asked me for my predicted GPA grades while all Manchester said is they would consider my application so a bit lost ATM. I'm going to apply to a University I know I can get into for sure just in case things don't work out with Manchester and the like. I know this is a bit of a stretch but do you by any idea know how long Manchester or Southampton take to respond?

I've already wrote and edited my Personal Statement several times and IMO its quite solid now, I'll have a look at this review that's available though :smile:

Neither Manchester or Southampton have a reputation for making applicants wait, but if they consider you borderline, you could easily be waiting a couple of months. Sorry.

If a university is just basing their offer on your IB, and you exceed the requirements, you'll probably hear back from them quite quickly.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending