The Student Room Group

Self teaching AS Level Further Maths

At the moment I am doing AS Maths Mechanics in school following the Edexcel course, which would be done in the order C1, C2 and M1

I have recently decided to also do Further Maths as well by self teaching, which my teacher has recommended to do S1, FP1 and D1 in that order.

Is this a good idea?? I need to do FP1 second as it follows on C1 and C2 which won't be taught until probably christmas in school.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Original post by subject1
At the moment I am doing AS Maths Mechanics in school following the Edexcel course, which would be done in the order C1, C2 and M1

I have recently decided to also do Further Maths as well by self teaching, which my teacher has recommended to do S1, FP1 and D1 in that order.

Is this a good idea?? I need to do FP1 second as it follows on C1 and C2 which won't be taught until probably christmas in school.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You dizzy blud?
Reply 2
Well i have 9 months to do it and a few people i know is also doing it so we are sort of like studying it together, i am also reasonably good at maths so it wouldn't be impossible.
Reply 3
Do it.

I got a B in GCSE Maths and wasn't allowed to take further maths

I worked hard and self-taught FP1, M1 and S2 for FM AS all year (last November)

I came out with over 90 in all 3 of them, just work hard and understand everything and you'll be good.

You can do FP1 first btw, it mixes nicely with C1
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
Do it.

You can do FP1 first btw, it mixes nicely with C1

Really? Because I looked at FP1 and it looks just completely different, my dad (who is a maths tutor) recommended me to do C2 before FP1, but i guess FP1 should be done first as that is the main part of further maths?
Reply 5
Original post by subject1
Really? Because I looked at FP1 and it looks just completely different, my dad (who is a maths tutor) recommended me to do C2 before FP1, but i guess FP1 should be done first as that is the main part of further maths?

its the only pure module of the further maths AS your taking so it would make sense to strengthen your core before moving onto applied.

The only overlap with C2 is the factor theorem (chapter 2) and even then there's not that much, Complex Numbers - new+C2 factor theorem Matrices - new Proof by induction - new Coordinate geometry - C1 ideas + new Numerical solutions - New, Series - C1 ideas + new

I started in November so by November I had a firm grasp of C1 and was beginning C2
Reply 6
I already done Add maths last year so I know like the basics of C1 as well as the factor theorem, but yes after looking it this way FP1 does sort of fit into C1 pretty well at least part of it.
Reply 7
This websites pretty useful:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any D1 videos, but you can find some on youtube made by maths247 on the ukmathsteacher channel and on mrhegartymaths.

I'd leave FP1 until after the other modules as it's basically an extension of the core work.

Quick Reply

Latest