The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I thought it went well actually, better than I'd expected. I got something like -0.8 for the Spearman's rank, and 50-something for the standardised unemployment rate. I think I got 70ish for the crude unemployment rate though, but it was this morning so I can't really remember! I know I got a couple wrong but I really hope I get at least an A. The grade boundaries are usually quite high for stats - maybe 78ish for an A and around 90 for an A*?
I also got 4.61 for the standard deviation!!! Thank God!

I was really confused with what was 'f' and what was 'x' with their table...YAY!!! (I know how ou lot got 24...it's by doing f and x the other way around...so i dunno who's right now)

I got all the other same answers as you lot (hopefully they're correct)!!!

The A* boundary has been:

93/120 in 2003
97/120 in 2004
86/120 in 2005

I think our paper was harder than the one in 2004 but easier than the one in 2005...so I think the boundary this year will stand at approximately 92/120...or I'm hoping so anyway!!!

Speaking to you guys has really made me feel more confident about how I done...Thanks...

What did everybody write for that rubbish about two types of scale (it was worth 4 marks - 2 for each type)...?
Reply 22
The scales question was a bit :rolleyes: .... I only remember doing opinion scales in class! I put 1/ Opinion scales - draw a line numbered 1 to 5 so that respondents can show how strongly they agree with the statement. (1 being very satisfied with statement 5 being very unsatisfied)... then I kinda made the second one up :biggrin:

What did people get when they asked you about the skewness of the ceramic workers and they gave you that formula? I got 0 for females and 0.47 for the males... anyone else get the same?
Reply 23
What did everybody write for that rubbish about two types of scale (it was worth 4 marks - 2 for each type)...?

Oh that question sucked, I put use a 5 point scale so that people can give 3 if their opinion is neutral, I remembered it of a past paper. Anyway it was a complete guess and I'm only hoping for 1 or 2 marks for it.

I got 0 for females and 0.47 for the males... anyone else get the same?

Hey I got that too I wrote zero in at the very last second, I'm glad they gave the formula otherwise I would have been screwed.
Reply 24
And for the distributions question, when they asked what percentage of workers earned more than £52, I worked out that 52 was 4 standard deviations away from 44 (standard deviation was 2) and so put 0%. What did everyone else get?

For the increase in 2 cars, the mean goes up by 2, and the standard deviation doesn't change at all, since the S.D. is a measure of spread, and the shape of the distribution is the same as before, only everything is higher.

I started pouring forth a nosebleed in the middle of question 3, had my hand up for what seemed like an age before a teacher noticed me and took me to the toilets...mmm, I love the smell of blood in the morning...:tongue: even so, going extra slowly with a pile of tissues next to me (when I finished the first torrent of bleeding I still kept dripping randomly, eugh), I finished 1/2 hour before the end, but everyone always seems to finish an hour or so before the end on these papers...
Reply 25
i thought the standard deviation question was really mean as it was ambiguous which of the two factors was the f and which was x. took me several minutes of racking my brains to come up with a guess for that.
Yeah...I got the same as you lot for the skewnes...the values for males and females...but when you had to interpret them I put positive skew and then for the one that was 0...i put symmetrical...is that right? or did you have to put uniform?
Reply 27
Yeah...I got the same as you lot for the skewnes...the values for males and females...but when you had to interpret them I put positive skew and then for the one that was 0...i put symmetrical...is that right? or did you have to put uniform?

Yeah I think it was symmetrical distribution, but by the time i figured it out i was on my way home from school, nevermind.
Reply 28
mAnIaC
...what did people put for the probability of none of the 5 things missing...or something like that...

You had to use the binomial distribution thingy. Then do one take away your answer... I got 0.89, which sounded realistic.

Binomial Distribution...

n!/((n-x)!x!) * P^x * (1-P)^n-x

n= total number of things (eg total of 75 packages)
x= Number chosen (eg 5)
P= probability (eg 1/10)
"Bethrice"...what question are you talking about???
Reply 30
Bethrice
You had to use the binomial distribution thingy. Then do one take away your answer... I got 0.89, which sounded realistic.

Binomial Distribution...

n!/((n-x)!x!) * P^x * (1-P)^n-x

n= total number of things (eg total of 75 packages)
x= Number chosen (eg 5)
P= probability (eg 1/10)

Hmmm??? How did you end up with 0.89? After using binomial, you should have ended up with 0.9^5. How did the calculation go for you?
exactly...I put (0.9)^5 which gave me like 0.59... it was binomial but you never really needed to use binomial...it was more common sense (1-0.1) ^ 5 (because it is for 5 things)...does anyone agree??? like i mean i never did the expansion (although i thought of it)...because you only needed to do the
(q)^5 bit it's not as if you needed to use a bit in the middle of it!

Latest