The Student Room Group

Is BMAT harder or easier than UKCAT?

Hi

This might sound like a stupid question to some of you but I just want to know what students who have sat both think in general. I know that the UKCAT is based solely on aptitude skills and the BMAT is slightly different as it has a scientific knowledge section.
There's plenty of practice material for the UKCAT; it's a very typical aptitude test. You know for sure that Abstract Reasoning will come, Quantitative Reasoning, etc.
You never know what will come up in the BMAT. Therefore I'd say the BMAT is harder than the UKCAT.
Section 2 of the BMAT is very basic, not very difficult. It's section 1 most people have a problem with. Then again, section 1 is very like the typical aptitude test.
Reply 2
Original post by originaltitle
There's plenty of practice material for the UKCAT; it's a very typical aptitude test. You know for sure that Abstract Reasoning will come, Quantitative Reasoning, etc.
You never know what will come up in the BMAT. Therefore I'd say the BMAT is harder than the UKCAT.
Section 2 of the BMAT is very basic, not very difficult. It's section 1 most people have a problem with. Then again, section 1 is very like the typical aptitude test.

I read that the BMAT has three subtests though. :confused:
Up to what level of knowledge do you think is required for section 2?

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by mrhedgehog
I read that the BMAT has three subtests though. :confused:
Up to what level of knowledge do you think is required for section 2?

Thank you so much :smile:

Section 1 is called 'Aptitude & Skills' and they get Verbal Reasoning questions and Quantitative Reasoning questions, though they're very different from the UKCAT questions. The Verbal Reasoning questions are, in my opinion, easier than the UKCAT's, but most Quantitative Reasoning questions aren't. They're not all data analysis; they get queer questions where you have to think up of obscure methods to solve the question, all in the time limit. Nothing that practice won't make better, though.
Section 2 tests your GCSE science and maths knowledge. It's rather easy, only the time limit is pressuring.
For Section 3, you have to write an essay. A short essay, less than an A4 sized sheet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I probably found the BMAT less time pressured and therefore a little easier tbh. Many would disagree though.

I suspect that statistically the BMAT is a tiny bit harder, but have no evidence to back that up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending