Boycott Nestle Watch

This discussion is closed.
**bekks**
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Everyday 4000 babies die from unsafe bottle feeding, not thanks to Nestlé, the world's largest baby food company, who increase profits by promoting artificial infant feeding in violation of the World Health Organisation's International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
Nestle:
provides information to mothers which promotes artificial infant feeding and discourages breastfeeding
donates free samples and supplies to health facilities to encourage artificial infant feeding
gives inducements to health workers for promoting its products
does not provide clear warnings on labels of the benefits of breastfeeding and dangers of artificial feeding. In some cases the labels are in a language that mothers are unlikely to understand
Nestlé makes a profit while others count the cost
Help support Baby Milk Action:
Baby Milk Action
Stop Bottle Baby Deaths - boycott Nestle
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i already do. its difficuly cus nestle make an awful lot of stuff.
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Moochy)
i already do. its difficuly cus nestle make an awful lot of stuff.
Chocolates mostly, no one can resist them, their babies will die aswell.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SHANDY)
Chocolates mostly, no one can resist them, their babies will die aswell.
I'm not surprised you have awful rep. I boycott nestle - it isn't difficult at all.
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I already do...
U have to do the same with coca cola as well, because they have also harmed and damaged the lives of some third world countries(e.g. my form tutor told me they had a factory in India and sold their waste as fertiliser for land, poisoning many people and ruining fields....)
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I'm not surprised you have awful rep. I boycott nestle - it isn't difficult at all.
Hey HEY leave the rep out of it!
**bekks**
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm glad so many people already do, I just want to make others aware to what's going on. I didn't realise that coca-cola were that bad, it's difficult to boycott coca-cola though, because they pretty much own everything!!
Those unsure on what Nestle own you can find a full product list for the UK here
It may be difficult at first but it is having an effect, Nestle have said that when someone walks into a shop and decided not to be buy a Nestle product it hurts. Serves them right if you ask me!!
zazy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by **bekks**)
I'm glad so many people already do, I just want to make others aware to what's going on. I didn't realise that coca-cola were that bad, it's difficult to boycott coca-cola though, because they pretty much own everything!!
Those unsure on what Nestle own you can find a full product list for the UK here
It may be difficult at first but it is having an effect, Nestle have said that when someone walks into a shop and decided not to be buy a Nestle product it hurts. Serves them right if you ask me!!
I didn't either know that about Coca cola but all products are morealess by Coca cola apart from fairtrade that i've started buying quite recently...
Shandy !!! ur previous avatar was soooooooo goood.....Why have u changed it?*eek*
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It isn't hard to boycott Coca-Cola! - I think some items on that list could be wrong - I thought Buxton and Vittel were owned by Coca-Cola?

The Coca-Cola story in India goes like this. You may not know this but India is a federal republic, much like the United States, so every state governs itself so to speak. You would think this is the case, but in Kerala, Coca-Cola and Pepsi are draining water from the ground to use in production of Coke and Pepsi. This means that peope have to walk up to 15 miles for dirty water. You may find this website useful http://www.globalpolicy.org/globaliz.../0528india.htm

Its a shame you can't buy fairtrade everything! We're currently trying to turn my Uni into a fairtrade Uni
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you boycotted every company that did something bad to third world countries you would be a naked hermit living in a hole in the middle of a forest eating berries for the rest of your life.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everyday 4000 babies die from unsafe bottle feeding, not thanks to Nestlé, the world's largest baby food company, who increase profits by promoting artificial infant feeding in violation of the World Health Organisation's International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
Nestle:
provides information to mothers which promotes artificial infant feeding and discourages breastfeeding
donates free samples and supplies to health facilities to encourage artificial infant feeding
does not provide clear warnings on labels of the benefits of breastfeeding and dangers of artificial feeding. In some cases the labels are in a language that mothers are unlikely to understand
Baby Milk Action
Sheffield University Students Union do already.

An article on the issue is featured on the SheffieldBase website:

http://www.sheffieldbase.com/story.php?s=246

where by after a debate and vote in February the Nestle ban was maintained.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should also boycott Pepsi because they sponsor bull fighting.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nestle
Esso
And I try to avoid SC Johnson http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/ (mr muscle, toilet duck, glade and pledge) their clean it then throw it away mentality just annoys me - I use http://www.ecover.com/ for all my cleaning products
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I avoid really cheap electrical products because they don't last and the manfucturing process harms the environment. For example a cheap £30 mini system has a realistic shelf life of 6 months if that, the stuff is made out of such low quality parts its very hard to recycle the plastics.

Cheap batteries are another example, you should always use rechargable ones. The problem with batteries is what do you do when you through themn away? Exactly.

Shell are another bad company the way they treated those oil pipes some where in Aftica, they just left them to burn not giving any regard to local residents. I think theyare getting their act together now though.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Every company in the world is accused of doing something, so i'm not going to boycott them just because of an issue.
They are businesses and i buy products for the product, not for the morals behind them.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They are businesses and i buy products for the product, not for the morals behind them.
That's very narrow minded young man!
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nestle:
Baby Milk Action
This old nut-shell has been doing the rounds for 20+ years now. I'm don't expect much of an answer but for what it's worth,

How is artificial feeding dangerous exactly?

Where do you get the 4000 deaths a year statistic from?

What inducements are given to health workers? Cash bonuses? Can you say what these inducements are and can you prove it?

What's this "language" nonsense? In most 3rd world countries the women who receive free artificial milk through an NGO or similar organization can't read their own language so it really doesn't matter what's printed on the bottle.

In 3rd world countries women often fail to lactate sufficiently to breastfeed due to poor diet, living conditions, hygiene etc. I imagine that Nestle probably save a lot more babies by giving out free artificial milk to the various NGO's and "professional" aid agencies than they kill (supposedly 4000)

This is a very old myth and really just a chance to have a good ***** at a major corporation.

So, I'm not boycotting Nestle. In fact I'm going to eat more Nestle products. I might even buy some shares in the company.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Our whole union boycotts anything Nestle...there is only 1 place on campus that sell kitkats and thats in a sandwich shop which isn't actually union run.
Did all the union members vote to boycott Nestle at your uni or was it something that the wannabe politicians decided to impose on everyone?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I bought some Nestle hair gel the other day. I didn't know L'Oreal were Nestle at the time, however. I haven't seen anything here to convince me that a boycott is required.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
I bought some Nestle hair gel the other day. I didn't know L'Oreal were Nestle at the time, however. I haven't seen anything here to convince me that a boycott is required.
How about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2587697.stm

(this was the story that started me boycotting - not the baby food one which is quite out of date)

The eventual "settlement" after international outcries and a renewal of many people boycotting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2692101.stm

Personally I'd rather people like that didn't have my money...no matter if they gave in to some extent eventually - if it hadn't been for the pressure from outside the company I don't believe they would have stopped short of anything.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads