The Student Room Group

AS Maths and FM Self Teaching

Hello, I am self teaching maths and further maths. Does anyone have resources for the course? I am doing the following units. Edexcel.

AS Maths
C1
C2
S1

FM
FP1
S2
D1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ExamSolutions
Past papers
maths247
Reply 2
Bump, What Unit is best to start off with?
Reply 3
Core 1 seeing as a lot of its the top end of GCSE so it eases you in, do FP1 alongside it.
Reply 4
Original post by c_k62
Core 1 seeing as a lot of its the top end of GCSE so it eases you in, do FP1 alongside it.

Okay, Do you know of any good resources for FP1? My school wont even let me have a copy of what they use :frown:
Original post by FrankHudd
Okay, Do you know of any good resources for FP1? My school wont even let me have a copy of what they use :frown:

Use the official Edexcel textbooks, they are by far the best resource.
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
Use the official Edexcel textbooks, they are by far the best resource.

Okay, Is there one text book for FP and Core? Or just the separate books?
Reply 7
In addition to the edexcel textbooks, also, use the CGP books like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Maths-Edexcel-Student/dp/1847628117/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380302882&sr=8-2&keywords=cgp+c1+maths
They have CD's with exam questions, and will provide a different way to learn. They're available for C1-4, S1-2, M1-2 and D1.

There's one textbook for each module, but there are two editions AFAIK. The content is the same, they just look different aesthetically.
(edited 10 years ago)

They are for individual modules; one book per module.
Reply 9
They are separate books for core and further seeing as one is maths and one is further maths :smile: you can get text books with all the maths AS units and all the FM AS units though, might be cheaper than buying them individually :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by c_k62
They are separate books for core and further seeing as one is maths and one is further maths :smile: you can get text books with all the maths AS units and all the FM AS units though, might be cheaper than buying them individually :smile:

Yes ahah, Thank You! Would you say Maths and FM is hard? like really hard?

It's completely subjective. Some people find it virtually impossible, others don't struggle with it at all.
Reply 12
It's completely subjective. Some people find it virtually impossible, others don't struggle with it at all.

I do struggle with some of the basics but, I love maths aha! I want to get BB in maths so will have to work hard.
Reply 13

Na it's all totally doable! If *I* can do it, anyone can do it :wink: but I think when you're studying Core and FP, FP makes you realise how simple Core is so that's quite handy! A lot of people say FM isn't harder, it's just different stuff... Hahah
Reply 14
Original post by c_k62
Na it's all totally doable! If *I* can do it, anyone can do it :wink: but I think when you're studying Core and FP, FP makes you realise how simple Core is so that's quite handy! A lot of people say FM isn't harder, it's just different stuff... Hahah

Oh good ahah! I can't wait to get my results in it and just see the teachers face! But I want to study disease modeling so I need a high level of maths. Would you say FM is interesting?
Oh good ahah! I can't wait to get my results in it and just see the teachers face! But I want to study disease modeling so I need a high level of maths. Would you say FM is interesting?

I think it's quite interesting, especially given the AS involves FP1 and 2 applied modules, meaning you do all sorts of maths; core, mechanics, stats, decision.
Reply 16

Hahah what a moment! Yeah, I think FM is interesting, we do edexcel and started with matrices which personally I just found dull, but you do imaginary and complex numbers after, and sigma notation which I really enjoyed and found interesting! There will be some bits making you want to rip your hair out hahah but it's worth it!
Reply 17
I think it's quite interesting, especially given the AS involves FP1 and 2 applied modules, meaning you do all sorts of maths; core, mechanics, stats, decision.

Cool! I am trying to avoid mechanics as it is not relevant to what I want to do, would you say that D1 is easy?
Do C1 and FP1 together :smile: I'm doing the same as you, a lot of the modules interlock.
Cool! I am trying to avoid mechanics as it is not relevant to what I want to do, would you say that D1 is easy?

D1 is conceptually easy, but that means that the grade boundaries are really high, so it's as much about not making mistakes as about getting the right answer.

You should at least try M1 - I certainly enjoyed mechanics more than stats or decision.

Quick Reply

Latest