The Student Room Group

Teaching without a relevant degree?

Hi :-),
I'm currently on a gap year and will be applying for degrees in Public Relations / Marketing for 2014 entry.

Although a job in this industry is my main aim, I'm also considering teaching (secondary). However, if I were to teach, I'd ideally like to teach Biology (I have a B in A level biology) - would this be possible?

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope not.

Without sounding harsh or insulting, I would never want to have a teacher who only obtained a B at A Level with no further study.

Only is relative to this context.
Your degree should be at least 50% in the subject you wish to teach, although I believe there's a bit of leeway with Teach First. Seriously, though, you would really struggle to get a job with just an A level.
Reply 3
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I hope not.

Without sounding harsh or insulting, I would never want to have a teacher who only obtained a B at A Level with no further study.

Only is relative to this context.

Yeah, I can understand this!

I have a huge interest in biology but didn't want to study it to degree level as I don't think the job prospects are great.

I wondered whether there was a 'top-up' type course that I'd be able to do which would enable me to teach it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ello ello.

Don't forget that legally if you a) have a degree and b) have the teaching qualification (whatever it's called, it takes one year to get it anyway) you can teach any subject your school assigns you to. My old physics teacher had a degree in film studies. Anyway, the problem would be the school hiring you basically - they might not want to hire someone without a biology degree to teach biology. Can they legally hire you and can you legally teach? Absolutely.
Original post by babylotion
Yeah, I can understand this!

I have a huge interest in biology but didn't want to study it to degree level as I don't think the job prospects are great.

I wondered whether there was a 'top-up' type course that I'd be able to do which would enable me to teach it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd ask the above user because she has more experience in this :smile:

If you really loved it, job prospects shouldn't have deterred you:redface:
I would guess you would find it hard to get onto a PGCE as you would be competing with people who have done it to degree level and basically would have more knowledge of it.

Having a biology degree would not affect your job prospects at all! You can do work experience in whatever job you are interested in, whether it be teaching or marketing whilst at university, it will help make your mind up. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi :-),
I'm currently on a gap year and will be applying for degrees in Public Relations / Marketing for 2014 entry.

Although a job in this industry is my main aim, I'm also considering teaching (secondary). However, if I were to teach, I'd ideally like to teach Biology (I have a B in A level biology) - would this be possible?

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could apply for teach first, as they will let you teach with an a level in the subject. You could also consider a SKE (subject knowledge enhancement course) which can be anything from two weeks to two years. If you complete one of these then it will be more realistic for you to get on a pgce.

You think the job prospects for marketing/public relations are better than biology?!

If you are serious about teaching choose a more suitable degree.
Reply 9
I'm pretty sure at least 50% of your degree has to be the subject you want to teach.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
You think the job prospects for marketing/public relations are better than biology?!

If you are serious about teaching choose a more suitable degree.

For my first choice of career, yes! I know it sounds 'mickey-mousey' but for what I want to do, and the contacts I need to make, a degree in PR or Marketing, with a placement year, will be best for me.

It was biomed that I was considering doing at one point, but I do not want to work in a lab and I'm not 100% sure on teaching...

So yes - PR is better than biology for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Shelly_x
You could apply for teach first, as they will let you teach with an a level in the subject. You could also consider a SKE (subject knowledge enhancement course) which can be anything from two weeks to two years. If you complete one of these then it will be more realistic for you to get on a pgce.

Pretty sure SKEs are only available for shortage subjects, which biology is not (at least at the moment).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yes you can teach biology, through teach first. But I think you need to have done two science a levels with a grade B or higher in both to qualify to teach science through teach first route. ANd you 300 Uncas points.

And to the person who said they would never want to be taught by someone who only has an a level, well she would only be teaching people below at gcse or ks3 level. And teaching isn't just about subject knowledge, it's about leadership particularly in crap schools. Although I do feel that the best teachers I've had all generally came from respected universities, I think it was more the fact they were generally intellectual and capable people and would have been able to teach something other than their degree subject.
Reply 13
Original post by knope
Pretty sure SKEs are only available for shortage subjects, which biology is not (at least at the moment).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, you can get them for a small number of other subjects too. You just have to look around. There are ones for biology, computer science, r.e. And a couple of others that I've seen.

Though it is worth mentioning to the OP that if you want to teach biology it's likely that you'll also need to teach physics and chemistry at secondary also.
(edited 10 years ago)
I had a teacher at GCSE who taught 2 subjects -r.e and geography. She only had a degree in geo which was strange but she taught r.e really well
Original post by Luxray
And to the person who said they would never want to be taught by someone who only has an a level, well she would only be teaching people below at gcse or ks3 level. And teaching isn't just about subject knowledge, it's about leadership particularly in crap schools. Although I do feel that the best teachers I've had all generally came from respected universities, I think it was more the fact they were generally intellectual and capable people and would have been able to teach something other than their degree subject.

Leadership is pointless if you don't have any knowledge to impart anyway.

I'd say KS3 is fair enough, but I'm sure she would want to teach at a higher level.
Reply 16
Original post by Shelly_x
Nope, you can get them for a small number of other subjects too. You just have to look around. There are ones for biology, computer science, r.e. And a couple of others that I've seen.

Though it is worth mentioning to the OP that if you want to teach biology it's likely that you'll also need to teach physics and chemistry at secondary also.

Ah, okay, sorry - it's just that the government website on SKEs doesn't list it. Out of curiosity, how/by whom are the biology ones provided?
Reply 17
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Leadership is pointless if you don't have any knowledge to impart anyway.

I'd say KS3 is fair enough, but I'm sure she would want to teach at a higher level.

I didn't say Leadership alone is enough, I said its important. And I stand by that, particular in deprived schools.
Original post by Luxray
I didn't say Leadership alone is enough, I said its important. And I stand by that, particular in deprived schools.

Yeah, but knowledge is still the most important factor, but I agree leadership is necessary in the more deprived schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending