The Student Room Group

Too old for Uni life

Hi,

I'm starting uni soon, but I am 24.

Am I too old to have the normal social experience (don't really want to hang out with the mature students), and have relationships etc?

I dropped out of school at 16, and missed out completely on life and the normal things you go through from 16-24. Although, I went to a college from 23 - 24, I didn't mix at all really with the 16 year olds and just came in for my lessons. It was really awkward at college because of my age, and I am dreading uni will be the same.

I have never had a girlfriend before, and would like to start with someone who is 18 or 19, as I don't want to date someone my age who will be mentally older than I am ( I still feel like I am a teen to be honest because of my situation).

I would also like to flirt and hit on girls (as I have never done this before), but will people just think I am a pedo or something if I flirt with 18 or 19 years?
I will eventually date people my own age, it's just I am not ready at all (never even kissed a girl).

I also can only see the situation getting worse while I'm at uni, in the sense that I will be 27 in my last year, and most people will only be 21.

So what do you guys think?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you're too old, absolutely not.

I also don't think people will think you're a paedo for flirting with younger girls - I mean, the age gap isn't THAT big, and you're still a student etc. Maybe you could go for girls who are in older years (i.e. 3rd year etc) since they'll be 20 or 21 (if they took a gap year.) You can still definitely have fun and take advantage of university life!

Original post by wookierookie
Hi,

Am I too old to have the normal social experience (don't really want to hang out with the mature students), and have relationships etc?

I dropped out of school at 16, and missed out completely on life and the normal things you go through from 16-24. Although, I went to a college from 23 - 24, I didn't mix at all really with the 16 year olds and just came in for my lessons. It was really awkward at college because of my age, and I am dreading uni will be the same.

I have never had a girlfriend before, and would like to start with someone who is 18 or 19, as I don't want to date someone my age who will be mentally older than I am ( I still feel like I am a teen to be honest because of my situation).

I would also like to flirt and hit on girls (as I have never done this before), but will people just think I am a pedo or something if I flirt with 18 or 19 years?
I will eventually date people my own age, it's just I am not ready at all (never even kissed a girl).

Reply 2
Hi,

I had a mate on my course who was 27, it doesn't have to be a problem. Just take all the "old man" jokes in good humour and don't do the annoying mature student thing of constantly harping on about how much "life experience" you have on everyone. Age becomes much less important at uni I think.

I think you'll be fine with pulling random girls, maybe be a bit careful with girls you know so you don't get a reputation.
Reply 3
Hi,

I also can only see the situation getting worse while I'm at uni, in the sense that I will be 27 in my last year, and most people will only be 21.

You sound like me :smile:,only difference is I'm starting my masters while I assume you are starting your undergrad.
Reply 4
Don't start Uni with the perception that, as you're a bit older, you may not fit in. This was my fear when I started college again aged 23. I went in determined to enjoy it though and it paid off, I've made so many good friends and love the people I'm with, even though there's a seven-year age difference. I'll be 25 when I start Uni and I fully intend to throw myself into the life.

And at Uni you'll probably find there's a wide range of ages there anyway. Relationships, friends, they're all possible regardless of how old you are. Throw yourself into being yourself, friendly, chatty and, as nerve-wracking as those first few days might be, it'll get easier. If you're open and cheerful then you'll have no issues fitting in with "younger" people.

Oh, and you being 24 hitting on an 18/19 year old doesn't make you a paedo, by the way :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Andaxay
Don't start Uni with the perception that, as you're a bit older, you may not fit in. This was my fear when I started college again aged 23. I went in determined to enjoy it though and it paid off, I've made so many good friends and love the people I'm with, even though there's a seven-year age difference. I'll be 25 when I start Uni and I fully intend to throw myself into the life.

And at Uni you'll probably find there's a wide range of ages there anyway. Relationships, friends, they're all possible regardless of how old you are. Throw yourself into being yourself, friendly, chatty and, as nerve-wracking as those first few days might be, it'll get easier. If you're open and cheerful then you'll have no issues fitting in with "younger" people.

Oh, and you being 24 hitting on an 18/19 year old doesn't make you a paedo, by the way :smile:

How did you enjoy college at 23? How did you throw yourself in? You can't join the sports teams if you are over 19 can you? I just felt awkward even in the debating club.
I went to a sixth form college though, so maybe that's why.
What did you do for those 7 years? I wouldn't feel so bad if I had done something useful, but I just had a really miserable time.

Thanks for your kind words, and good luck!
One of my flatmates in halls is 25 (although I'd say he looks a bit younger than that) and he's doing perfectly fine; wouldn't act any differently with him than if he were 18.
Nope. There's this guy on my course and in my regular group of friends (he and I are the only ones in our 20s, the rest are 18-19, two of which he moved in with this year) and he is 28. He has a good social life in the university and everything. Honestly, your age will not hold you back at all. In fact I would say it would be an advantage.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Uni is very different from college, there is such a huge range of ages.
I knew a 24 year old first year and he fitted in just fine.
Reply 10
I'm glad this is here tbh, because I'm 21 and I've just started doing A levels through a long distance course, and I am hoping in 2 years to be heading to uni myself, and of course that will make me 23 when I go, and I was worried about the same things, but from what all of my friends who have been to uni already have said, nobody really treats you any differently if you want to hang out with the 18/19 year olds, the only people that they notice differently are the mature students who only stick to the other mature students. But I'm looking forward to it, I think it's really exciting to go back to education with much more of an idea of what you want to do!
Reply 11
2 of my flatmates are a few years older and honestly there's no difference (other than they tend to drink more sensibly).

It's been my experience that a lot of college students are afraid of venturing outside of their friend circles, especially if they attended the same high school - uni is totally different. You can talk to pretty much anyone and make a friend, especially during freshers, since everyone is in the same boat. Don't worry about it :smile:
I'll be 24 or 25 by the time i (hopefully) start uni and I worried i'd be too old too. Better late than never though. Everybody has said the main thing is not to act that annoyingly more mature type of way. I look a lot younger than my age too so that might help, infact i'll probably look younger than some of the 18/19 year olds!
I am just about to turn 23 and I am in my freshers week. Sometimes I completely forget that I'm older and it doesn't come up in conversation. I've made some friends this week and my boyfriend came up in conversation and one of them said

"aww cute, how long have you been together"

When I replied "8 years" she was like lolwut?! Then I said I'm 22 and it all made sense :tongue:
Grow up and act like you to a pair. As you're a mature student, you are there to study, not party. So just get on with the course and stop being so insecure.
Original post by JennaEmBee
I am just about to turn 23 and I am in my freshers week. Sometimes I completely forget that I'm older and it doesn't come up in conversation. I've made some friends this week and my boyfriend came up in conversation and one of them said

"aww cute, how long have you been together"

When I replied "8 years" she was like lolwut?! Then I said I'm 22 and it all made sense :tongue:

You still have the same boyfriend from the age of 14!? That's still crazy.
Original post by Queen_Victoria
Grow up and act like you to a pair. As you're a mature student, you are there to study, not party. So just get on with the course and stop being so insecure.

They aren't mutually exclusive you know.
I went to uni at 24 and had a great time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Queen_Victoria
You still have the same boyfriend from the age of 14!? That's still crazy.

I know :tongue: been engaged since 16. 6 years haha.
I don't think you're too old. Your experience is what you make of it :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending