I want to transfer my credits and get into 3rd year entry Watch

laviwalks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi my life is a mess.

I studied at Lancaster University for 3 years in Economics BSc.

My creidts:-

1st Year - 120 credits - 3 modules passed worth 40 credits each.
2nd Year - 75 credits - 5 modules passed worth 15 credits each.
3rd Year - 90 credits - 6 modules passed worth 15 credits each.

I was incredibly ill during my 2nd year and Lancaster University let me go into my 3rd year. However, I was still ill and recovering, I did do better in my final year compared to my 2nd year but I had to pass 12 of the 16 modules I did during my 2nd and 3rd years to get a pass degree but I only passed 11 of the 16 modules and the university decided to let me go.

I have 285 credits and the majority of the modules I passed were at either above 40% (III) or 50%(IIii).

I want to complete my degree and I have to transfer my credits somewhere. I am trying desperately to find an institution that would let me into 3rd year entry to complete my degree, which requires 240 credits, which I already have more of but most institutions are saying I could probably get into 2nd year entry or that module marks are not good enough.

Are there no universities were getting a pass (above 40%) in most modules will allow me to finish my degree at the institution.

I am at a total loss because I only found out I was let go from my university 2 days ago. I have been desperately trying to find out universities that will accept me and I am beginning to lose hope.

Is there any advice that anyone can give to me?
grt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The issue is that for most universities the final grade is being determined by grades in year two and three. Also, transfer credits rarely come with a grade, ie you get your credits but the marks don't matter. Hence, (proper) universities will be very hesitant to let you join the third year. Also, with the grades you got so far, they might fear that you could fail the final year which could hurt their ranking positions (% of students failing). Ironic, isn't it?

I'd suggest that you to look into joining a decent university in the second year. Yes, you will need an additional year but you have heard of most of the stuff already and you have the real chance of getting much better grades. However, I see that this would only make sense if you found a university right now - waiting a year and then entering the second year is probably no option for you.

Personally, I'd avoid getting into a rather bad university just to finish your degree. A 2.2/third degree from a Bottom 20 uni will significantly lower the overall value. But, if there's no other chance of funding another second year, it might be the only real option you have...

One way or another, best of luck!
WeeGuy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
one option you could do is complete your degree through OU. or you could complete a few OU modules for second year then apply to a brick uni for third year probably a higher chance of being accepted.
laviwalks
Rep:
?
Okay, let's say that 2nd year entry is a possibility for me. I want to consider only universities in London for Economics and ideally the BSc degree scheme. Where do I go? Also looking at the fact that I only got a 2:2 in my first year, is there a possibility for me getting into a good or decent university in this late stage for a September/October 2013 entry.

Is School of Oriental and African Studies for Economics BSc good? I think it is because it's one of the universities that's part of University of London. The only problem is that no one in their admission offices actually pick a phone up, the same applies for Middlesex University.

My ideal plan would be to go into 2nd year entry at a decent university and start doing the ACCA course and passing as many of the 9 exams as I can for the next 2 years.

Can anyone give me advice on my plan and which universities in London do you think will accept me into 2nd year entry.

Also is GSM (Greenwich School of Management) a good institution to get an Economics BSc degree from?
grt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LSE doesn't allow 2nd year entry (without a generous donation *cough*). UCL does on an exceptional basis (or they did in 2008), don't count on that. SOAS does (I did it) if you make a strong case for your move and their focus (regionally and/or from an ideology standpoint), plus you need strong A-Levels (AAA, maybe more nowadays). QMUL think it does but shouldn't be much easier. Cannot say anything about others in London.

You'll have to explain your grade you've achieved so far and have to convince them that you could finish the degree successfully.

For 2013 entry, well, I don't think the above mentioned unis will allow that. Your best shot is to phone the course convenors directly and make an appointment as soon as possible.

The previous suggestion of finishing at OU might be your best shot to get a degree quickly, but I don't know enough about it to give any specific advice.
laviwalks
Rep:
?
(Original post by grt)
LSE doesn't allow 2nd year entry (without a generous donation *cough*). UCL does on an exceptional basis (or they did in 2008), don't count on that. SOAS does (I did it) if you make a strong case for your move and their focus (regionally and/or from an ideology standpoint), plus you need strong A-Levels (AAA, maybe more nowadays). QMUL think it does but shouldn't be much easier. Cannot say anything about others in London.

You'll have to explain your grade you've achieved so far and have to convince them that you could finish the degree successfully.

For 2013 entry, well, I don't think the above mentioned unis will allow that. Your best shot is to phone the course convenors directly and make an appointment as soon as possible.

The previous suggestion of finishing at OU might be your best shot to get a degree quickly, but I don't know enough about it to give any specific advice.
How big of a generous donation? (lol) I achieved AAAB in my A-Levels for Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics.

I was thinking of contacting University of Greenwich, Kalpan College, Kingston University, Brunel University and City University London about 2nd year entry into their Economics BSc degree schemes. I only achieved 2:2 in my first year and accumulated 285 credits during my tenure at Lancaster University. I honestly don't know how successful I am going to be.

Is Greenwich School of Management a good university? I heard the degrees I do there are awarded by Plymouth University.
grt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, your A-Levels should be sufficient for all of the unis I mentioned above as well. So it's mostly an issue of timing and convincing them. Try to get the offices or convenors on the phone and, ideally, meet them in the next couple of days to make your case. A month ago it would have been much easier, but it's obviously an issue for you to wait for a year.

If you're unsuccessful, you could always try to do some relevant internship or get some job experience in the meantime which would increase your job finding chances after graduation drastically.
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Laviwalks, My name is Tania and Im a Course Advisor From GSM London. Our degrees are all accredited by Plymouth University. But in order for you to get exemptions, you would have to come into the school and look at applying that way for February. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us directly on 0208 516 7800. Tania
Buci
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do not go to Open University they are not flexible at all with start dates ect. In my final year with them and they have refused to allow me onto my final year as I was 4 days late enrolling. That has finished my relationship with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (358)
59.47%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.48%