The Student Room Group
Reply 220
interiority
True, it doesn't... I have a double CD live show that I love, though.

That sucks:frown: If exams make me miss *anyone*, I will be pissed.

I'm hoping I'll find someone at uni with a very similar musical taste to mine, cos at the moment there's a few overlaps, but a lot of bands I like such as Grandaddy other people don't know despite my efforts.
Reply 221
interiority
I know and like Grandaddy! Do you know Wilco? Ani DiFranco?

Saw Grandaddy live back in November, definitely worth seeing :smile:

Wilco are one of those bands I've been meaning to get into for a while cos from what I've heard I'd love them. I'm on a cd buying embargo for the month though, so it'll have to wait. There's a few I want to get - Summer Teeth, the Johnny Cash ones (American III and IV), a bit of Calexico, the new Badly Drawn Boy one, I could go on...
Not heard of Ani DiFranco though
kikzen
Give a song name::

for me its D12 - My Band
especially the Kuniva/Kon Artist verse

cherry lips- garbage:wink:
Reply 223
interiority
Lucky@Grandaddy.

Wilco are awesome... Summer Teeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would be my recommended starting points. Calexico I like too, I have Feast on Wire. I really like the cover of Alone Again Or that they did.

Ani DiFranco is a female singer-songwriter, a great lyricist. She's one of the few true independents, started her own record label from scratch. Which means her CDs are often cheapish :biggrin:

Yeah, great cover. I've got the chance to see Love at Fibbers in York at the end of June, but its the day before my last exam and is £17, but it's a small venue so I can't really turn down the chance. Decisions....
Reply 224
Just been looking at the gigs coming up around Leeds/York, and since there's a severe dearth of quality ones (festival season and all that), I think I'll go to see Love purely cos there's no other decent ones. Grr, we never get the best people in Leeds. :mad:
Reply 225
interiority
I'm not far from London, so there's plenty to see there. Don't know what Newcastle will be like, though.

Bloody typical though, choose Bristol thinking it's good for gigs (which it is compared to Leeds, since it's where most of the tours go in the SW) but then Ben Folds decides not to play there :frown:
kikzen
Give a song name::

for me its D12 - My Band
especially the Kuniva/Kon Artist verse

Listening to the verve- sonnet atm. Keep playing Urban Hymns on repeat...must stop.
Reply 227
interiority
:frown: That does indeed suck. Still, I guess it gets most of the big tours, as I hope Newcastle will. Just hope I can afford gigs on my poor student budget.

I use http://www.aloud.com/adv_search.shtml
Put in Newcastle there and see what type of stuff you get. Then look at Bristol and be extremely jealous :smile:
Reply 228
Scrap that, don't be jealous. All the bristol ones are Peter Andre or tribute bands, aside from Ash, Gomez and the Charlatans.
elpollodiablouk
Scrap that, don't be jealous. All the bristol ones are Peter Andre.

:redface: Oh boy, I bet you'll really want to see him...
Reply 230
Mysticmin
:redface: Oh boy, I bet you'll really want to see him...

To quote Guy Garvey from Elbow (what a guy)
"I'd rather shit myself in public than see him"
Although he was referring to Dido and said her not him obviously. But the sentiment still stands.
Reply 231
Just had a look on the Bristol SU website, and in the space of about 2-3 weeks they had;
British Sea Power
Keane
Franz Ferdinand
The Von Bondies
..and some others
but even better than that, in the past they've had
Massive Attack
Idlewild
Moby
and...erm...*cough*
*whispers*slipknotandrobbiewilliams

They're not proud.
Reply 232
interiority
That's very impressive... I haven't heard of Durham having anyone good:frown: I will look into it.

Plus if the worst comes to the worst, my insurance is UMIST, and we all know what Manchester's like for live music :biggrin:
Could turn out to be an expensive 4 years though....
elpollodiablouk
To quote Guy Garvey from Elbow (what a guy)
"I'd rather shit myself in public than see him"
Although he was referring to Dido and said her not him obviously. But the sentiment still stands.

Bleurgh. andre makes me shudder. Hmm, bet neither of you can beat london for gigs :biggrin:
Reply 234
Mysticmin
Bleurgh. andre makes me shudder. Hmm, bet neither of you can beat london for gigs :biggrin:

Or its cost of living :biggrin:
Saying that, got the accommodation stuff through for Bristol, prices made me wince a bit. Bye bye student loan! :smile:
Corrie on in the background - Everyone whinging about Todd being gay. Sarah whatserface whinging about being a single parent to two kids at the age of 17 - Who's fault is that love?!
Reply 236
interiority
Awww, you won't be able to afford to see Mr. Andre!

Oh, the shame.
Reply 237
I'm finding this CD buying embargo even harder now - just remembered some more I'd like - My Morning Jacket and Sparklehorse - I like that whole alt.country Americana stuff, and want to get into it a bit more
Reply 238
interiority
I think you secretly kinda want to see him.

Interesting fact, fact fans. I share a birthday with the aforementioned Mr Andre, 27 February :smile:
elpollodiablouk
Interesting fact, fact fans. I share a birthday with the aforementioned Mr Andre, 27 February :smile:

does that mean you also share certain qualities with him? :wink:

Latest