The Student Room Group

Applying for 2014

Hi all,

I've recently been interested in Studying in the Netherlands, I've done some brief research on the subjects that are taught in English and the Universities that I would possibly like to study at. I've finished my A-Levels recently and am taking a year to get a job and build up money for if I do actually go and study in the Netherlands.

My area of choice would be media, and possibly Communications & Media at Rotterdam. My choice will probably change after an in depth research on the other media courses available that are taught in English.

Is anyone else thinking of applying for universities in the Netherlands for next year? I know it's very early to be talking about this sort of thing.

Also if anyone has advice on financing and how they applied as an International student would be great, since I have left school I don't have access to the advisor there.

Looking forward to reading peoples responses! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
have you had a look at this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Groningen

i know someone who goes there and who absolutely LOVES it! Plus fees are £1500 a year roughly instead of £9000 so thats something to take into account! He didnt get his predicted grades but the still took him (I think he got BBC or BCC, and is studying something political)
Reply 2
I've had a look at Groningen, its a bit too far north east for my liking as i'd like to stay somewhere around the Amsterdam, Rotterdam areas. Groningen do have the most courses taught in English though!
Reply 3
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2353102

This is a discussion that I set up but no one has replied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by joordan
Hi all,

I've recently been interested in Studying in the Netherlands, I've done some brief research on the subjects that are taught in English and the Universities that I would possibly like to study at. I've finished my A-Levels recently and am taking a year to get a job and build up money for if I do actually go and study in the Netherlands.

My area of choice would be media, and possibly Communications & Media at Rotterdam. My choice will probably change after an in depth research on the other media courses available that are taught in English.

Is anyone else thinking of applying for universities in the Netherlands for next year? I know it's very early to be talking about this sort of thing.

Also if anyone has advice on financing and how they applied as an International student would be great, since I have left school I don't have access to the advisor there.

Looking forward to reading peoples responses! :smile:

Hey,

I'm in Year 13 at the moment and I'm looking to do a course in economics and business at either Amsterdam or Erasmus Rotterdam. I went to visit both uni's in the summer and they looked really good! The application for the course at Amsterdam has opened already so I will be applying for that soon.

Regarding finance I plan to take out a tuition fee loan from the Dutch govt. and rely on bank of Mum and Dad for living costs (which I will have to pay back, they're not that generous!)
Reply 5
Original post by joff
Hey,

I'm in Year 13 at the moment and I'm looking to do a course in economics and business at either Amsterdam or Erasmus Rotterdam. I went to visit both uni's in the summer and they looked really good! The application for the course at Amsterdam has opened already so I will be applying for that soon.

Regarding finance I plan to take out a tuition fee loan from the Dutch govt. and rely on bank of Mum and Dad for living costs (which I will have to pay back, they're not that generous!)

You're lucky to have already visited, hopefully i'll go to an open day in February. And then i'll apply sometime after as i believe the application date closes around may? I'm probably wrong. Are you planning to live on the campus or in the surrounding city? I'm not sure which to choose.
Reply 6
Original post by joordan
You're lucky to have already visited, hopefully i'll go to an open day in February. And then i'll apply sometime after as i believe the application date closes around may? I'm probably wrong. Are you planning to live on the campus or in the surrounding city? I'm not sure which to choose.

There isn't any campus accommodation at Amsterdam or Rotterdam, but I don't know about other unis. When I went to the Netherlands I didn't wait for an open day, I just contacted them to ask for a tour and talk and it was fine, so I wouldn't hold out for an open day if you want to go now :smile:. Yeah the deadline is may so I guess there's no rush to apply, but I'm doing mine now at the same time as UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by joff
There isn't any campus accommodation at Amsterdam or Rotterdam, but I don't know about other unis. When I went to the Netherlands I didn't wait for an open day, I just contacted them to ask for a tour and talk and it was fine, so I wouldn't hold out for an open day if you want to go now :smile:. Yeah the deadline is may so I guess there's no rush to apply, but I'm doing mine now at the same time as UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhh, i read on a website that the universities do. Dang websites :wink: That sounds good, i may contact them and do exactly that. Did you have a talk with one of the tutors of your chosen subject? How are you gonna find a place to stay during you're study? Are you going to find a spare room or do you know people that are also going to study at the uni of your choice?

Sorry for so many questions :smile: It's just cool to talk to someone else about it who also wants to study in the Netherlands :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by joordan
Ohhh, i read on a website that the universities do. Dang websites :wink: That sounds good, i may contact them and do exactly that. Did you have a talk with one of the tutors of your chosen subject? How are you gonna find a place to stay during you're study? Are you going to find a spare room or do you know people that are also going to study at the uni of your choice?

Sorry for so many questions :smile: It's just cool to talk to someone else about it who also wants to study in the Netherlands :smile:

I've looked it up and it turns out there is campus accommodation in Rotterdam but not in Amsterdam (which isn't a "campus" uni anyway). Amsterdam near guarantees rooms for first year intl. students, but you have to sort it yourself after that, so same as England. I'm a bit worried though since I've been told that its difficult finding a room at the right price in Amsterdam but I guess its no worse than London.

I was shown round the EUR campus by a student, and when I went to UvA I spoke to someone from the international office. I didn't get to speak to a tutor, which is probably where an open day might be useful although they tend to mostly be held in Dutch. I think getting a feel for the place and uni is more important though.

Is it just Rotterdam you want to apply for?
Reply 9
Heya guys, I am also a keen wanna go dutch uni student. Fortunately I already applied on the first of Oct this year for next years academic term; and seemingly already got an offer for the econometrics program at Maastricht.

Hence since I think i've nailed the app, I will definitely like to help if anyone has any issues in applying anywhere
Reply 10
Original post by joff
I've looked it up and it turns out there is campus accommodation in Rotterdam but not in Amsterdam (which isn't a "campus" uni anyway). Amsterdam near guarantees rooms for first year intl. students, but you have to sort it yourself after that, so same as England. I'm a bit worried though since I've been told that its difficult finding a room at the right price in Amsterdam but I guess its no worse than London.

I was shown round the EUR campus by a student, and when I went to UvA I spoke to someone from the international office. I didn't get to speak to a tutor, which is probably where an open day might be useful although they tend to mostly be held in Dutch. I think getting a feel for the place and uni is more important though.

Is it just Rotterdam you want to apply for?

I'll most likely go to an open day. I know some Dutch, I've been learning for a while but the sentence structure is so confusing, hopefully I get around it.

At the moment Rotterdam is the only one I want to apply to, its has the only Media & Communications course in the Netherlands, there is International Media & Communications at Haarlem university, maybe I could visit that one too, but Rotterdam is the one I'm certainly applying for.

Original post by 3LZ3r0
Heya guys, I am also a keen wanna go dutch uni student. Fortunately I already applied on the first of Oct this year for next years academic term; and seemingly already got an offer for the econometrics program at Maastricht.

Hence since I think i've nailed the app, I will definitely like to help if anyone has any issues in applying anywhere

How was the application process? Was applying via Studielink an easy process?

EDIT: I've applied at studielink, do I enter my GCSE and A Level grades in the Previous education section? When I select "General Certificate of Secondary Education" it doesn't let me say the actual subject I have got the GCSE or A Level in. Where do i enter these? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 3LZ3r0

Congratulations on getting in! Out of interest do they give you a conditional offer or is it based on previous grades?
Reply 12
@Joff: I know right the admission decision was super fast for me, took me 6 business days, but I when I called the admissions office they told me, it was due to the fact that I applied so early and apparently was 1 of the first 5 applicants for the business/economics school.
Note: Yes my offer was a conditional approval. The conditions are: Submit my original IB diploma from the IBO directly only and YES the offer was based on my IB grades (the VWO equivalent) and probably the GCE O-levels I also submitted, Submit a passport size photograph, and when made an available option, pay tuition fees through studielink.

@Joordan: Yes the application process was super easy, I mean literally so easy that I applied through studielink in under 5 mins.

The process through studielink is simple:
1.) Update your personal information and current mailing/residential address
2.) Update your education profile. All you have to do is mention which program that your completed or are in currently, i.e. A-Levels, IB diploma, AP or any VWO equivalent.
3.) Additionally also update that you have completed the IGCSE/GCSE/GCE-O-Levels
4.) And if this applies to you: Add that IELTS/TOEFL has also been completed
5.) IMPORTANT and final point: Apply for the prospective program at the prospective university you have in mind. Only two academic terms are available - Jan 2014 Intake is Academic year 13-14. While September 2014 Intake is Academic Year 2014-15.

The whole process should take roughly 5 - 7 mins depening on how fast your net and typing speed is :smile:

Part 2: Depending on the University you applied to, You will now very shortly get an email from the Uni, with your login details to start the real application procedure.
1.) Login to the prospective University account.
2.) Under the admissions tab: You should now see the option to upload documents (scanned copies of the documents you have mentioned in Studielink)
3.) Upload Passport copy/Identity Copy (for EU and Non-EU students)
4.) Upload your educational transcript- IB-Diploma/AS Level/ A2 Level/ Advances Placement and then your secondary high school transcripts IGCSE/GCSE/O-Levels
5.) Upload a Passport size photograph it, I used a 3.5x4.5 size
6.) Upload your english language proficiency test results if applicable - IELTS/TOEFL/ or any other approved test
7.) University & Program Specific documents such as any reference letters, motivation letters, Resume/CV, any Essays.

NOTE: For Numerus Fixus programs --> the admissions decision should only come by officially in the month of June 2014 for the intake of Sept 2014.
For non- Numerus Fixus Programs --> rolling decisions throughout the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 3LZ3r0

@Joordan: Yes the application process was super easy, I mean literally so easy that I applied through studielink in under 5 mins.

The process through studielink is simple:
1.) Update your personal information and current mailing/residential address
2.) Update your education profile. All you have to do is mention which program that your completed or are in currently, i.e. A-Levels, IB diploma, AP or any VWO equivalent.
3.) Additionally also update that you have completed the IGCSE/GCSE/GCE-O-Levels
4.) And if this applies to you: Add that IELTS/TOEFL has also been completed
5.) IMPORTANT and final point: Apply for the prospective program at the prospective university you have in mind. Only two academic terms are available - Jan 2014 Intake is Academic year 13-14. While September 2014 Intake is Academic Year 2014-15.

The whole process should take roughly 5 - 7 mins depening on how fast your net and typing speed is :smile:

Part 2: Depending on the University you applied to, You will now very shortly get an email from the Uni, with your login details to start the real application procedure.
1.) Login to the prospective University account.
2.) Under the admissions tab: You should now see the option to upload documents (scanned copies of the documents you have mentioned in Studielink)
3.) Upload Passport copy/Identity Copy (for EU and Non-EU students)
4.) Upload your educational transcript- IB-Diploma/AS Level/ A2 Level/ Advances Placement and then your secondary high school transcripts IGCSE/GCSE/O-Levels
5.) Upload a Passport size photograph it, I used a 3.5x4.5 size
6.) Upload your english language proficiency test results if applicable - IELTS/TOEFL/ or any other approved test
7.) University & Program Specific documents such as any reference letters, motivation letters, Resume/CV, any Essays.

NOTE: For Numerus Fixus programs --> the admissions decision should only come by officially in the month of June 2014 for the intake of Sept 2014.
For non- Numerus Fixus Programs --> rolling decisions throughout the year.

Thanks for this i really appreciate it :smile: It seems relatively easy compared to UCAS.

This question is for anyone to answer, does anyone plan on getting a 54 hours (i think its 54) a month job whilst studying? If you do this you're able to get a grant which i plan on doing. Anyone know if the procedure to get this is easy, I'd imagone finding a job could be quite hard, and you can't apply for the grant after 31st of August if im not mistaken.
Reply 14
Oooh im planning on the 54 hr job thing. But from i've found out, if one doesnt speak dutch its very hard to find one.

Additionally if you also work part-time you have to take on additional health care insurance which is heard can be additional costs to your budget.

And one can only apply for the dutch student grant after 3 months of work at the 54 hrs level.

Im going to try and find out a cost comparison and put it up somewhere.
I recived a CDDD in AS will that effect me for the Application.
Reply 16
Original post by Aerosports
I recived a CDDD in AS will that effect me for the Application.

Its said that Dutch education like to give people a chance no matter what the grades, as long as they are decent. In A Level though its the A2 grades that matter, they'll be what you're applying with.

@3LZ3r0: 3 Months without a grant payment could be bad, considering how much it will cost a month whilst studying (I worked out to be around £1000 per month (probably more for some, including accommodation, tuition fees, social life, food, etc.) The insurance is about 80-90 euros a month also, I suppose having the job would help pay for this, but still £1000 a month for three months without the grant is a lot.

As international EU students are there any other grants or loans we could take out?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Hmm true...but unfortunately it is stipulated that 3 months is the prerequisite time needed to comply before the dutch govt can facilitate the grant to the working student.

Truth be told the hardest part is getting the job and being able to hold on to it during uni time.

The course load is heavy due to their unique scheduling of 2/3 courses every 5/6 weeks.
Reply 18
Is an EHIC card not sufficient as health insurance for part-time work?
Reply 19
Original post by 3LZ3r0
Hmm true...but unfortunately it is stipulated that 3 months is the prerequisite time needed to comply before the dutch govt can facilitate the grant to the working student.

Truth be told the hardest part is getting the job and being able to hold on to it during uni time.

The course load is heavy due to their unique scheduling of 2/3 courses every 5/6 weeks.

Could always search for a scholarship/grant possibly.

http://www.studyinholland.nl/scholarships/grantfinder

Where did you read about not being able to receive payments for three months on the 54 hour job grant thing? I can't find anything about it.

Original post by Tzchov
Is an EHIC card not sufficient as health insurance for part-time work?

That card can only be used for business or holidays, not for studying abroad unfortunately.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1073.aspx?categoryid=68

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending