BTEC people? Are you going to University? Watch

Bawrai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1405701551.822843.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  118.5 KBI applied at Aston as well but BCU is near to my house and they got less exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bawrai
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iRaii)
BCU!? with D*D*D? Did you apply to any Russel group universities? or do you genuinely want to go to BCU? (No sarcasm intended)
👍 what's Russell group lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bawrai)
what's Russell group lol?
A group comprising of 24 of the UK's top universities.

(Original post by iRaii)
BCU!? with D*D*D? Did you apply to any Russel group universities? or do you genuinely want to go to BCU? (No sarcasm intended)
lol. I have been accepted by a Russell Group University with a BTEC.
gabriella1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just finished level 3 btec media, level 3 btec law and Cambridge tec btec ict and im going to uni in September :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bawrai
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
A group comprising of 24 of the UK's top universities.

lol. I have been accepted by a Russell Group University with a BTEC.
Oh yeah university of Birmingham accepted me but I ain't going there cuz they got exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd rather be doing my, all course - no exams, degree over one that does include exams.

Good choice, Bawrai.
Bawrai
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roving Fish)
I'd rather be doing my, all course - no exams, degree over one that does include exams.

Good choice, Bawrai.
But only 17% 1st year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bawrai)
But only 17% 1st year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ey?
Bawrai
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check unistats 👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
iRaii
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Good choice, Bawrai.
I understand it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day, but would you not haste the opportunity in wanting the degree to come from the best possible university? In hindsight, university is only somewhat 3-5 years (dependent upon course), therefore in the long run will set you better off in the world of employment.
At the same time, I understand that lets say a 1/2:1 degree from a non Russel group university would potentially look better to employers than a 2:2/3 from a Russel group university.
Roving Fish
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iRaii)
X
No. Rankings mean **** all realistically, many employers just look at your degree and grade and don't particularly care. Too much emphasis is placed on being in a Russel group university. I could have gotten into any university that had a UCAS point requirement as I had 400+ points but chose one that I was comfortable in.

In my subject area, graphic design and the digital creative arts, my degree grademeans nothing. My portfolio means everything.
iRaii
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Rankings mean **** all realistically, many employers just look at your degree and grade and don't particularly care. Too much emphasis is placed on being in a Russel group university. I could have gotten into any university that had a UCAS point requirement as I had 400+ points but chose one that I was comfortable in.

In my subject area, graphic design and the digital creative arts, my degree grademeans nothing. My portfolio means everything.
Key phrase: "Don't particularly care"

So, if what you're saying is correct then, a graduate with a 2:1 from Oxford or Cambridge, compared to a graduate with a 1st from BCU is less competitive?

I think you're resisting to face a certain reality, maybe not for the likes of graphics design, but many strong (traditional) degrees are viewed by employers by both the grade, and the university it comes from.

It's much easier to get a 1st from BCU in lets say Engineering as an example, than a Russel Group university, such as the University of Birmingham. The reason for that, if you're not aware is because of the layout of the course being set out to cater for the students the university possesses. This means that a university course asking for BCC as compared to AAA, is obviously not going to have a tougher academic regime. Therefore, that being the reason why a fair majority of GOOD employers look at the university you also come from.
Roving Fish
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iRaii)
X
A quick look through your content shows me that you're actively looking to study Engineering. This type of degree would probably be competitive if applying for high end jobs in big congloms or corps.

I think that your attitude is quite interesting towards BTECs and courses in non-Russell group universities. You value A Levels over BTECs, probably due to a concept taught to you through your secondary education. This is one often forced, unfortunately, onto students finishing their compulsory education and makes people think that there is no other way and to get into top unis then you have to do A Levels.

In this thread you have a few people who studied BTECs and are going to study Medicine or Medical Science. My sister, who is in this year's intake but is taking a gap year, is wanting to study Medical Science and did a BTEC.

In my experience in workplaces via internships and jobs so far in my life, I have seen that actually the university does not particularly matter when it comes to taking on graduates. The sectors were marketing, advertising and business management as well as graphics. Additionally, when my mum took on somebody new to work under her in finance, she did not look through graduates as she thought they were more likely to move on quickly, or jump between jobs. This is often the case to employers, graduates from 'top'universities with first-class degrees, in their experience people tend to move on quickly if they think they can do better. Fair enough on both sides.

Therefore in response to your question to another guy that I originally quoted a few days ago - No, I would not rather go to a Russell Group university than a non-RG uni. I have picked up invaluable experience in my life and studies by going to this university. University is an experience as well as a degree. I've picked up a job that, although I don't plan to be there after my degree, is a back up and temporarily fills the gap and will offer me chance to progress if I so desire. I've also met people through that job as well as at uni business contacts for the future. Therefore I would go as far as to say that I'm a lot more employable as I am pretty sure that students at RG universities don't get to have this life experience which could be make or break at an interview.

Just because you've got A Levels and an RG Uni on paper, doesn't mean you can apply that practically.
pinejuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ive just completed a btec level 3 in applied science. im going to start an engineering foundation year at bradford then hopefully become a chemical engineer
Ryanz67
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Betecs are definitely under rated

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ryanz67)
Betecs are definitely under rated

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes they are in some places but they shouldint.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gemmalm95)
Just finished Btec in health and social care and got 5 out of 5 offers, going to University to study sociology with criminology

was Health and social care equvilent to 3 A levels.
I am an ex yr 11 student.

i was thinking of studying sociology with criminology too.

do you want to become a lawyer or...?
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lord Jon)
I do BTEC L3 Applied Science.

Now unconditional offer to study Law at Birkbeck, University of London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi i am an ex yr11 student and was looking into law. may i ask does it matter what A levels or the equvilent(BTECS) you pick to do?
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have recently completed BTEC Health and Social Care Level 3 and am going to Bucks New Uni in September to do a foundation degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
gemmalm95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by German123)
was Health and social care equvilent to 3 A levels.
I am an ex yr 11 student.

i was thinking of studying sociology with criminology too.

do you want to become a lawyer or...?
Yeah it's is worst 3 A Levels and no not a lawyer, after I have done my degree I would like to do a criminology and forensic psychology masters then go into criminal psychology or something along those lines
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed