The Student Room Group

BTEC people? Are you going to University?

Scroll to see replies

I will be starting my level 3 BTEC subsidiary diploma this year, however I don't understand something. Many people on this thread state ''BTEC level 3 extended diploma'', now is that better than an subsidiary and how would I get onto an extended diploma? P.S I'm doing BTEC IT & BTEC Applied Science (Subsidary Diploma) should I be worried?:confused:
Reply 121
Original post by Deeboss
I will be starting my level 3 BTEC subsidiary diploma this year, however I don't understand something. Many people on this thread state ''BTEC level 3 extended diploma'', now is that better than an subsidiary and how would I get onto an extended diploma? P.S I'm doing BTEC IT & BTEC Applied Science (Subsidary Diploma) should I be worried?:confused:

A BTEC Subsidiary Diploma is the first year of an Extended Diploma, if you pass successfully then you should go on to the second year in which you will get the Extended Diploma. I haven't seen anybody doing two subsidiary Diplomas though, because in the second year you won't be able to do two. Most universities an Extended Diploma, not two subsidiaries.
Original post by cnova
A BTEC Subsidiary Diploma is the first year of an Extended Diploma, if you pass successfully then you should go on to the second year in which you will get the Extended Diploma. I haven't seen anybody doing two subsidiary Diplomas though, because in the second year you won't be able to do two. Most universities an Extended Diploma, not two subsidiaries.

ohh ok thanks I understand now :biggrin: Is the first year hard?
Reply 123
Original post by Deeboss
ohh ok thanks I understand now :biggrin: Is the first year hard?

I don't know, I am starting mine on Monday (IT) :tongue: The student books look really useful, I already bought them ready for it and they have so much information in them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cnova
I don't know, I am starting mine on Monday (IT) :tongue: The student books look really useful, I already bought them ready for it and they have so much information in them.

Oh niccee so we are both in the same position then hahaha I start on Sunday however lol. What other BTEC are you doing besides IT?
Reply 125
Original post by Deeboss
Oh niccee so we are both in the same position then hahaha I start on Sunday however lol. What other BTEC are you doing besides IT?

Just the IT (90 credit, then second year for Extended Diploma) alongside Welsh Baccalaureate and GCSE English and Maths.
Original post by cnova
Just the IT (90 credit, then second year for Extended Diploma) alongside Welsh Baccalaureate and GCSE English and Maths.

Nice, I have to do GCSE English aswell are you re-sitting?
Reply 127
Original post by Deeboss
Nice, I have to do GCSE English aswell are you re-sitting?

No, I never sat it at school, I didn't really attend school, but I had high grade predictions when I was there and high grades during mock exams.
Original post by cnova
No, I never sat it at school, I didn't really attend school, but I had high grade predictions when I was there and high grades during mock exams.

Oh ok I see. Well anyways thanks for you're helpful post earlier and good luck for Monday :biggrin:
Reply 129
Original post by Deeboss
Oh ok I see. Well anyways thanks for you're helpful post earlier and good luck for Monday :biggrin:

Thanks, you too. One question btw, why are you starting on a Sunday?
Original post by cnova
Thanks, you too. One question btw, why are you starting on a Sunday?

Oh because I'm a new student going into a new school, so Sunday is the induction day only for new students :smile: For all the other students (existing) school starts on Monday too. :biggrin:
Original post by Deeboss

Subsidiary diplomas are 6 units and worth 1 A level, Diplomas are 12 units and are worth 2 A level and Extended diplomas are 18 units and are worth 3 A levels, the subsidiary diploma is not the first year of an extended that would be a 90 credit diploma, you are doing 2 subsidiary diplomas so will receive 2 separate qualifications all subsidiary diplomas worth 1 A level each
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
Subsidiary diplomas are 6 units and worth 1 A level, Diplomas are 12 units and are worth 2 A level and Extended diplomas are 18 units and are worth 3 A levels, the subsidiary diploma is not the first year of an extended that would be a 90 credit diploma, you are doing 2 subsidiary diplomas so will receive 2 separate qualifications all subsidiary diplomas worth 1 A level each

So wait will I still be able to get into university :confused:. If I'm only doing 2 A-levels?. I'm really confused though my college told me that it is worth doing 4 A-levels? Because the BTEC IT & BTEC Applied science in year 12 and 13 is worth 2 A- levels, so that's technically 4. What they said.
Hi i am brand new to btec level 3 diploma health and social care 90 credit for first year and i dont know how many units are there for each year but ext dip has 18 units overall. Probabily 9 units first and 9 units in second year making up full extended diploma and how do i achieve D/D* ??? Do i need to like complete pass,merit,Distinction in all units to get D/D*??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LoveChristian
Hi i am brand new to btec level 3 diploma health and social care 90 credit for first year and i dont know how many units are there for each year but ext dip has 18 units overall. Probabily 9 units first and 9 units in second year making up full extended diploma and how do i achieve D/D* ??? Do i need to like complete pass,merit,Distinction in all units to get D/D*??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming you mean D*D, and assuming you're doing 9 units then you'll need 5 Distinctions, and 4 Merits for D*D! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank u very much i understand now.:yy::colondollar:
Original post by Deeboss
So wait will I still be able to get into university :confused:. If I'm only doing 2 A-levels?. I'm really confused though my college told me that it is worth doing 4 A-levels? Because the BTEC IT & BTEC Applied science in year 12 and 13 is worth 2 A- levels, so that's technically 4. What they said.

So you must be doing the 'BTEC Diploma' which are 12 units each and are worth 2 a levels each
Original post by Deeboss

So yes you will be able to get into university. If you were only doing 2 subsidiary's you probably wouldn't as that's only 2 a levels
Reply 138
Who's applying for 2015 then, what are your goals? :smile:
Original post by Rixion
Who's applying for 2015 then, what are your goals? :smile:

DDD or D*D*D*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending