Cambridge Uni Mature Student App

Watch
ExploringOptions
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing an Access course and will be applying before the second deadline in March 2014 (mature college, Cambridge). How does that work out if you want to send the application to other university choices before that? My UCAS hasn't been activated yet.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For equal consideration at mainstream Unis, you need to send in your application by the January deadline. After that, if Universities consider their courses 'full' (ie. they have already made enough Offers) they will not make anyone else an offer. By leaving your application to March you are therefore risking possibly not getting any other offers.

The later date for Mature Student Applications to Cambridge ONLY applies to the four colleges which only accept older applicants - and ONLY for certain subjects. see http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../applying.html
All other applications to Cambridge MUST be received before the October deadline.
Bright_blonde
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The application window for the second round runs from 16/10/13 till the deadline, so you can apply anytime, but as the above post says as far as I am aware, you need to stick to the Jan deadline for other unis.

im applying this year! Scary stuff! what are you applying for?
ExploringOptions
Rep:
?
I am applying for HSPS at Lucy Cavendish. This is one of the four mature colleges that offers a second (March) deadline to applicants. I don't understand the point of the March deadline if the general UCAS application -- for all five uni choices -- is sent to be off before January.

Thank you for your replies.
ExploringOptions
Rep:
?
I am applying for HSPS at Lucy Cavendish. This is one of the four mature colleges that offers a second (March) deadline to applicants. I don't understand the point of the March deadline if the general UCAS application -- for all five uni choices -- is sent to be off before January.

returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Essentially it gives mature applicants only applying to Cambridge longer to get their application together, presumably because they dont attract 'enough' mature applicants if they leave the deadline at October. But I agree with you - it doesnt actually help if you are also applying to other Unis, although clearly it means you can apply to Cambridge up to the usual Jan deadline IF you go for those mature student colleges.
Hippodamos
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What people are saying above is wrong. You can take full advantage of the extra application time for Cambridge.

From: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...making-changes

Adding more choices

If you didn't use five choices you can add more in Track.

* As long as it's before 30 June and you've not accepted or declined your offers.

* If you only originally applied to one choice (so paid at the reduced fee), all you have to do is pay the extra £11 in Track to allow you to add more.
So you apply to up to four places before January. If you receive any offers, do not accept OR decline them. Add Cambridge on Track before the March deadline. You don't have to reply to any of your offers until you've received all of them (see the 2013 information here),
ExploringOptions
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hippodamos)
What people are saying above is wrong. You can take full advantage of the extra application time for Cambridge.

From: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...making-changes

So you apply to up to four places before January. If you receive any offers, do not accept OR decline them. Add Cambridge on Track before the March deadline. You don't have to reply to any of your offers until you've received all of them (see the 2013 information here),
Thank you SO much for the important and beneficial insight.

Take care
Bright_blonde
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm applying for PBS at Lucy. Were you there on Saturday?
Stevski8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ExploringOptions)

I'm applying to study Natural Sciences at Lucy Cavendish, and when I spoke to them about this whole deadline business they told me that because the usual Oxbridge deadline is in October, having the deadline in March is better suited for people wanting to apply but who have only just started a one year access course, or A level intensive course in September (which is the case for me). They said that when I submit my 'normal' UCAS application by January to all the other universities, I just add Lucy Cavendish as one of the options and it will get sent to them, and any applications received after the October deadline they just count as a March deadline entry.

Also FYI I asked them whether applying by the later deadline of March reduces my chance of getting in than if I applied by the earlier one and they told me that it absolutely 100% did not, so that's good news!
Cardiff Kook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stevski8)
I'm applying to study Natural Sciences at Lucy Cavendish, and when I spoke to them about this whole deadline business they told me that because the usual Oxbridge deadline is in October, having the deadline in March is better suited for people wanting to apply but who have only just started a one year access course, or A level intensive course in September (which is the case for me). They said that when I submit my 'normal' UCAS application by January to all the other universities, I just add Lucy Cavendish as one of the options and it will get sent to them, and any applications received after the October deadline they just count as a March deadline entry.

Also FYI I asked them whether applying by the later deadline of March reduces my chance of getting in than if I applied by the earlier one and they told me that it absolutely 100% did not, so that's good news!
College sites imply otherwise. Firstly, especially for the more popular choices it isn't guaranteed that your course choice at said college will be available during the second round.

Please also note that after our first admissions round places may be filled on certain courses, and we will not consider applications for such subjects during our second round. ...from Wolfson

Secondly there is no pool for March applicants so you only get viewed by the one college as opposed to possible 3/4.

Please note that applications submitted during the second round will not be ‘pooled’ for consideration by other colleges should Lucy Cavendish decline to make you an offer.... also mentioned on Wolfson
ExploringOptions
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bright_blonde)
I'm applying for PBS at Lucy. Were you there on Saturday?

Indeed, I was... good luck for your app
. Tc
ExploringOptions
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stevski8)

Yay!

(Original post by Cardiff Kook)
College sites imply otherwise. Firstly, especially for the more popular choices it isn't guaranteed that your course choice at said college will be available during the second round.

Please also note that after our first admissions round places may be filled on certain courses, and we will not consider applications for such subjects during our second round. ...from Wolfson

Secondly there is no pool for March applicants so you only get viewed by the one college as opposed to possible 3/4.

Please note that applications submitted during the second round will not be ‘pooled’ for consideration by other colleges should Lucy Cavendish decline to make you an offer.... also mentioned on Wolfson
Uh oh...
Stevski8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cardiff Kook)

Sorry I should have made it clear, this is ONLY for Lucy Cavendish, they are the only ones I contacted. I spoke to a lot of staff at the open day, and emailed admissions and was repeatedly told that applying by the later deadline does NOT in any way affect your chances of being offered a place. I don't know about other colleges, but for Lucy Cavendish applying later simply doesn't affect your chances of getting in. I'd say if you are unsure of the procedure for the specific college and course you'd want to apply to, then contact the college yourself directly just as I have done. But yes obviously the second statement is correct, you will not be entered into any kind of pool if you apply by the later deadline.
tatt0barbie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For anyone who applied in the October, has anyone else heard about an interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (46)
17.36%
No one else does (83)
31.32%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.57%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (90)
33.96%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.89%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.26%

Watched Threads