The Student Room Group

What should I do, my room mates do drugs!

Okay, before I start typing; it's not just weed, it's M-cat, Ket and coke! (I'm use to weed seeing that my mum does it!)

Okay I just created this account because I don't want to get found out. Basically I just started university as an undergrad in Scotland somewhere! My dorm has 7 people including me in them. So the first 6 including me got here last Saturday where we all become good mates and what not. However after two days two of them started talking about doing drugs and that made me really uncomfortable but as long as they didn't get me involved I didn't care although they keep trying to get me to do it! I can easily say no, I'm strong minded! The other three are all good although one of them is kind of a follower! Now the 7th person arrived a day later and he is such a **** (he's body language- I don't judge that much but if you saw him you would think the same) now this guy does coke as well.

Now for the past week I put up with them talking about drugs and smoking weed however just now I saw/ heard them snorting coke and M cat with other people they invited over and I thought I would be okay with it but it turns out I'm not and now I'm really uncomfortable about this. we get on but still they do drugs and it could get me in trouble as well for knowing, they're nice too me and what not but now the bad outweighs the good!

Basically I don't know what to do, I've created this account just now hoping for help! The other two people I like and who do not do drugs are amazing and I don't want to switch accommodation and leave them( by the way the follower finally did drugs tonight) also the other two feel the same way about as me!

I know I'm not over reacting, it would be if it was just weed I know however it's also coke, I mean what the hell! Please help me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Wait for the inevitable breakdown.

Say 'ello to my little friend!
Reply 2
Yeah, them trying to get you to take drugs after you've sad no is a bit of a dick move to be honest. I don't think you'll get in trouble for knowing about it. if you feel like you get to the point where you're no longer comfortable living in your accommodation then obviously it seems best for you if you can move to not feel so uncomfortable, and with more like-minded people. I don't have a problem with drugs personally but I'd find it boring to be around people who constantly talk about drugs and can't hold a conversation about anything but drugs. If I wasn't using either I'd feel a bit weird around people doing drugs. It's just a phase a lot of people go through especially during uni years as that's the age when people want to experiment and see different sides to life.

But yeah, if you feel like it's made you no longer feel comfortable in your own accommodation it seems best to move.
Reply 3
Original post by Moosferatu
Wait for the inevitable breakdown.

Say 'ello to my little friend!

Yeah.. No, don't do that, that'd make them feel you're a ming. Report them to the university (make sure you're not stoned at the time) ask for anonymity, hide all evidence YOU'VE ever done drugs on uni grounds and make sure your two friends agree with this course of action. Also, try and frame someone else for reporting them. You know, like the nerd on campus. The teachers pet. I know that sounds really sly but it's necessary to concentrate on your studies and get on with your academic life.
Reply 4
I would suggest either moving out with the two who hold the same view as you if they come to a consensus about the best course of action or talk to them and say you're really not comfortable with whats going on in the dorm and if they are complete ********s about the situation then just call the police and get the ****wits arrested, Its wrong of them to pressure you into to something that 98% of the time is life ruining. maximum sentance for possesion of benzoylmethyl ecogine(cocaine) is 7 years and for methedrone(M-KAT) is five years, get what you give, I suppose.

hope you resolve your problem,

Phil
Reply 5
Original post by glousck
Yeah, them trying to get you to take drugs after you've sad no is a bit of a dick move to be honest. I don't think you'll get in trouble for knowing about it. if you feel like you get to the point where you're no longer comfortable living in your accommodation then obviously it seems best for you if you can move to not feel so uncomfortable, and with more like-minded people. I don't have a problem with drugs personally but I'd find it boring to be around people who constantly talk about drugs and can't hold a conversation about anything but drugs. If I wasn't using either I'd feel a bit weird around people doing drugs. It's just a phase a lot of people go through especially during uni years as that's the age when people want to experiment and see different sides to life.

But yeah, if you feel like it's made you no longer feel comfortable in your own accommodation it seems best to move.

Yeah, i agree with the experimentation side of things. People think drugs and immediately think addict! but it's possible to experiment with drugs without becoming a slave to them. You know, just taking a joint every now and then, snorting a line when you feel like it.
Reply 6
Original post by Soil
Yeah.. No, don't do that, that'd make them feel you're a ming. Report them to the university (make sure you're not stoned at the time) ask for anonymity, hide all evidence YOU'VE ever done drugs on uni grounds and make sure your two friends agree with this course of action. Also, try and frame someone else for reporting them. You know, like the nerd on campus. The teachers pet. I know that sounds really sly but it's necessary to concentrate on your studies and get on with your academic life.

That's the thing I don't know how I could report them without them knowing it was me because not just anyone could report them and no need to hide I've never smoked or done any form of drugs (not without a prescription etc) and yes I'm kind of the person who just want to chill with mates watching football and what not as well as get on with my academic life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Phil0510
I would suggest either moving out with the two who hold the same view as you if they come to a consensus about the best course of action or talk to them and say you're really not comfortable with whats going on in the dorm and if they are complete ********s about the situation then just call the police and get the ****wits arrested, Its wrong of them to pressure you into to something that 98% of the time is life ruining. maximum sentance for possesion of benzoylmethyl ecogine(cocaine) is 7 years and for methedrone(M-KAT) is five years, get what you give, I suppose.

Phil

That's what I want to do without letting them know it's me which is the conundrum! Thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by glousck

I suppose it can be considered a phase but weed is one thing and coke is on another level you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Phil

Appreciated the good intentions behind the post but "98%" is a bit ridiculous I've tried ket once, coke a few times and mcat far too many times and my life isn't ruined, it's only if you've got an addictive personality and/or have low-self esteem and confidence issues that means you prfer who you are on these substances that it'll get you addicted and ruin your life. Also the whole X years for possession is legally true but the police don't enforce this (had this happen to many friends), if you've only got enough on you that is only for your supply (i.e >5g of cannabis) you'll get a police caution at the very most.

The rest of this post is fine i just thought I'd offer another view.
Reply 10
If you do not physically do drugs and you avoid implicating yourself by doing them, you cannot get into trouble. Period.
Reply 11
Original post by Uniguy101
I suppose it can be considered a phase but weed is one thing and coke is on another level you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know, I know people who tried it and it was still part of the whole experiencing new things when you're 19 type of thing rather than anything serious, they're my mates who are healthy and have full-time jobs. But back to your main point, if you speak to the people in your accommodation who don't do drugs and tell them how you feel, maybe find out some ideas of what the best thing to do is then. Are the people on drugs all the time? What are they like when they're not on drugs?
so what? enjoy it.
Reply 13
That's the thing I don't know how I could report them without them knowing it was me because not just anyone could report them and no need to hide I've never smoked or done any form of drugs (not without a prescription etc) and yes I'm kind of the person who just want to chill with mates watching football and what not as well as get on with my academic life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did mention incriminating someone else even though that would be a douche bag move.
Reply 14
Original post by glousck
I don't know, I know people who tried it and it was still part of the whole experiencing new things when you're 19 type of thing rather than anything serious, they're my mates who are healthy and have full-time jobs. But back to your main point, if you speak to the people in your accommodation who don't do drugs and tell them how you feel, maybe find out some ideas of what the best thing to do is then. Are the people on drugs all the time? What are they like when they're not on drugs?

Yeh I know other people like my auntie who has tried coke but it's not my scene so I guess it makes me more uncomfortable than you! We spoke about it and said that we could just put up with it until our first year has finished as we have to move out of halls anyway! They're okay to me you know but it's early days yet and yeh they seem like they hyped up addictive type though because it's practically all they talk about 30% of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with this. I'm a daily cannabis smoker for years so hardly a 'killjoy', but I've lost a lot of film and friends to hard drugs and alcohol. What I'd have given to get my uncle off of coke. Coke particularly has twisted the personalities of my loved ones. Even in the short term, these drugs are pretty damn dangerous, of questionable purity/composition and carry a hefty punishment for possession.. You don't want that stuff anywhere near you. Can't they do I in a toilet somewhere? I wouldnt want anyone's overdose on my conscience either.

This isn't someone kicking back with a joint and reading a book after lectures this is playing with fire.... I'm sure there is a minority of people who know their biochemistry and can indulge occasionally in these things in as close to safe a manner that exists but the truth isost young people will take anything that can get them high with no real knowledge of its effect on the body in the long or short term, dosage etc, Sorry if I sound condescending or judgemental but most people our age don't know the first thing about what they are doing when it comes to drugs, even the most common and legal... How many people don't know if they are ingesting dangerous amounts of ethanol for one...

Youve got every right to be uncomfortable. I'd remove myself from the environment if possible. They have no right to pressure you and it's worrying they're behaving like this right at the start of the academic year
Reply 16
If you want to just move out say you've found a better place for a cheaper price and the other two are moving with you because they wish too, It might be awkward because they drug abusers may think why didn't they involve me(or us) but once you're gone thats non of their concern.
Reply 17
If you want to just move out say you've found a better place for a cheaper price and the other two are moving with you because they wish too, It might be awkward because they drug abusers may think why didn't they involve me(or us) but once you're gone thats non of their concern.

That's a good idea however we are in the cheapest possible accommodation there is on the campus so that is out of the window! Even so I won't be able to move without telling the housing people why!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Little Wolf Taima
Totally agree with this. I'm a daily cannabis smoker for years so hardly a 'killjoy', but I've lost a lot of film and friends to hard drugs and alcohol. What I'd have given to get my uncle off of coke. Coke particularly has twisted the personalities of my loved ones. Even in the short term, these drugs are pretty damn dangerous, of questionable purity/composition and carry a hefty punishment for possession.. You don't want that stuff anywhere near you. Can't they do I in a toilet somewhere? I wouldnt want anyone's overdose on my conscience either.

This isn't someone kicking back with a joint and reading a book after lectures this is playing with fire.... I'm sure there is a minority of people who know their biochemistry and can indulge occasionally in these things in as close to safe a manner that exists but the truth isost young people will take anything that can get them high with no real knowledge of its effect on the body in the long or short term, dosage etc, Sorry if I sound condescending or judgemental but most people our age don't know the first thing about what they are doing when it comes to drugs, even the most common and legal... How many people don't know if they are ingesting dangerous amounts of ethanol for one...

Youve got every right to be uncomfortable. I'd remove myself from the environment if possible. They have no right to pressure you and it's worrying they're behaving like this right at the start of the academic year

That's what I mean!!! But it's hard to make a decision what to do without getting them into the ****! And without getting me in the **** when/if they find out my problem with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
That's a good idea however we are in the cheapest possible accommodation there is on the campus so that is out of the window! Even so I won't be able to move without telling the housing people why!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about moving to private accommodation ? tends to be cheaper anyway? You could tell the housing people why but ask to be anonymous, or you could tell them that you 3 get along fine but conflict is a rising between you 3 and the others over trivial matters of some **** like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending