amul1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply for a Secondary English PGCE to commence in 2014, and just wondered whether there was anybody else in the same position/who's already completed the course who could help me out with a couple of points.

First off - I did my undergrad in English Literature at the University of Sheffield so would ideally like to return to the city and do my PGCE at either Hallam or the University. Is there anybody who's done a PGCE at either who can recommend or share any info?

Secondly, I'm concerned that, because English is such a competitive course I may be held back by lack of experience. I'm confident that I stand in good stead from an academic perspective (having managed to get a 1st), however, by the time I submit my application I will have only managed to obtain 10 days worth of experience in secondary schools. Hallam only specifies that candidates should have a minimum of 5 days, and the Sheffield University just says that 'any previous experience will work in candidate's favour', but I'm still not sure if it's enough?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amul1992)
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply for a Secondary English PGCE to commence in 2014, and just wondered whether there was anybody else in the same position/who's already completed the course who could help me out with a couple of points.

First off - I did my undergrad in English Literature at the University of Sheffield so would ideally like to return to the city and do my PGCE at either Hallam or the University. Is there anybody who's done a PGCE at either who can recommend or share any info?

Secondly, I'm concerned that, because English is such a competitive course I may be held back by lack of experience. I'm confident that I stand in good stead from an academic perspective (having managed to get a 1st), however, by the time I submit my application I will have only managed to obtain 10 days worth of experience in secondary schools. Hallam only specifies that candidates should have a minimum of 5 days, and the Sheffield University just says that 'any previous experience will work in candidate's favour', but I'm still not sure if it's enough?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
I haven't done a PGCE at sheffield but I did apply to them last year. I thought I should warn you that last year both Sheffield and Hallam were allocated no PGCE places and therefore did not run their course, they instead ran Schools Direct courses as thats what they recieved the place allocation for. This happened in about December (so two months after many people had applied). Thats obviously not to say that it will happen again this year, many the government will be kinder when giving out place allocations.

Your second point is a valid concern and the only thing you can do is to get more experience. Volunteer at a youth club, or brownies/scouts/girl guides. They're always crying out for help and its great experience. It is more about what you've got from the experience than the amount of it though. Make sure you have an amazing personal statement and that it bigs up your experience and what you learnt about teaching/learning from it.
amul1992
Rep:
?
That's interesting, I know someone who's currently doing an english secondary PGCE at Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shelly_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's interesting, I know someone who's currently doing an english secondary PGCE at Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies, they did have all their places cut but it seems they were allocated some later on in the year after this.
CER1389
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can't really help you OP, but going to reply anyway just to "subscribe" to this thread.

I'm looking at applying for Secondary English in 2014. I'm probably looking at UEA. It's the competitive nature of an English course that worries me! There are just too many applicants!

I know my experience is exemplary, by the time the course starts in 2014, I'll have had 18 months classroom experience, some of that being direct teaching experience in a variety of environments.

I'm more worried about whether my degree is good enough quality? It's a mid 2:1 from a Red Brick University, but I'm so worried I'll be up against amazing candidates with 1sts that I won't get a look in?
Shelly_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CER1389)
Can't really help you OP, but going to reply anyway just to "subscribe" to this thread.

I'm looking at applying for Secondary English in 2014. I'm probably looking at UEA. It's the competitive nature of an English course that worries me! There are just too many applicants!

I know my experience is exemplary, by the time the course starts in 2014, I'll have had 18 months classroom experience, some of that being direct teaching experience in a variety of environments.

I'm more worried about whether my degree is good enough quality? It's a mid 2:1 from a Red Brick University, but I'm so worried I'll be up against amazing candidates with 1sts that I won't get a look in?
So long as you have a 2.1 they don't care. It's more about you as a person and future teacher than your degree. Teach first can be quite elitist in that sense, but if you're not applying there then don't worry.
I got on with a 2.1 and it wasn't from a red brick.
CER1389
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you Shelly_X!
clareramos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A lot of PGCEs if they are competitive tend to look at how much work you've done with youth.

Scouts and Guides is one of the best and if you can get involved in any of their campsites, it helps massively, a lot of them over past few years, instruct a lot of school groups as part of their outdoor education programmes. It looks very good.
Squoosh25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Similar situation to you here - wanting to secondary English in 2014, and I got a 1st at Undergrad level. And I also have only had 10 days work experience.

At least you know where you want to train. I'm finding it very hard to actually choose somewhere I wish to study.
Shelly_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Squoosh25)
Similar situation to you here - wanting to secondary English in 2014, and I got a 1st at Undergrad level. And I also have only had 10 days work experience.

At least you know where you want to train. I'm finding it very hard to actually choose somewhere I wish to study.
Most people just go for closeness to home in regards to where they train. Think about where you'll be living ideally next year and apply for there?
LaurieLee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As far as I am aware, Hallam might not be running their English PGCE. I read it somewhere on their site...

I did my BA at Hallam, but am applying to Sheffield for PGCE in English as a lot of my undergrad friends went on and did that and recommended it!

As for your experience, I will have probably the same amount by the time of application, but from what I have heard it is really how you reflect on what you've seen so far that makes the difference!
amul1992
Rep:
?
What makes you say that Hallam might not be running the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LaurieLee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What makes you say that Hallam might not be running the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A few weeks ago I remember seeing something on Hallam's website about the possibility of the course not running in 2014/15, but this seems to have disappeared. Perhaps they have been offered better funding opportunities for the course...
avs1289
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Everyone, just to give you a bit of reassurance, I've applied at Edge Hill, Hull Uni and LJMU. I have a 2:2 from Hull Uni in Film, I have 3 months Primary school experience, 3 weeks experience at a local college in the film and media department, and experience of leading large and small groups of people through my job, all of this is on my application, and I've already got an offer of interview to LJMU. I'm the first to admit that I don't have the best academic background, however I have still managed to secure myself an interview. So those of you with 2:1's and above in English and plenty of experience, if I can get an interview so can you!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (28)
21.05%
Unconditional if firmed (7)
5.26%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.75%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (2)
1.5%
No unconditional offers (95)
71.43%

Watched Threads