Does anyone else ever feel like they are too dumb for uni? Watch

X_LittleSpark_X
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I am at university now and constantly feel like I am too dumb, shouldn't have gotten in and should drop out before I fail out of uni.

I just can't seem to get any of the homeworks completely right, I keep flunking tests despite hours of revision and work WITH my peers who all do just fine!

It is just so much harder than school, I don't know what to do.

This is coming from someone who got straight A*s at A-level without much trouble.
Cocobrown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should never compare yourself to other you are with, because you should focus on what matters to you.

And if you feel it is getting to worry you then ask for help and maybe find a tutor or someone who could help you and revise with you once a week especially during the hard weeks.

Also I find it is worth reading one/two hours a day after classes to help understand what you just had in class, but in a less quicker process because you can recap at your own pace.

You will be fine darling, everybody goes through this.. Just believe in yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help!!
Icycandle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
Caedus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, not I.
L. Serafy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I sometimes think I am too dumb for life, I put hours in and never get it quite right, and look around me and all my friends seems to be doing just fine. This might seem mocking or whatever, but it's honestly how I feel sometimes. The solution is always to stop comparing myself to others and just soldier on. Roll with the punches life/uni hands and keep going!
Arieisit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by X_LittleSpark_X)
So I am at university now and constantly feel like I am too dumb, shouldn't have gotten in and should drop out before I fail out of uni.

I just can't seem to get any of the homeworks completely right, I keep flunking tests despite hours of revision and work WITH my peers who all do just fine!

This is coming from someone who got straight A*s at A-level without much trouble.
What university is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

What is your subject?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Many of us feel that we're not as clever as other people on the course, and it's invariably not quite true.

If you're struggling academically, then you really do need to seek out help yourself from the academic staff - unlike at school, you do need to be quite proactive about these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rattusratus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A levels and Uni couldn't be more different

not being rude but uni expects you to actually be naturally smart in your area where as A levels just require you to grasp the mark scheme

that said though maybe you are studying the wrong thing?

I do Biomed and struggle so much with chemistry (hours of revising, personal help from lecturers and I still struggle to pass that 1 module) because im really bad at maths but biology based things (microbiology, genetics etc...) come so naturally that I dont need to really revise anything it just make perfect sense

how long have you been at uni? I assume you are 2nd year at least to feel like that, sometimes you can transfer to a course similar (I considered moving to environmental science at one point) talk to an adviser and find out what your options are

maybe a different type of course all together might help... I struggle with social sciences as its essay and opinion based where a physical sciences are right or wrong most of the time with no awkward in between maybe you would be better switching to something like that
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes it's just about finding the right way to study for you-it might be worth looking at the way you revise and tackle assignments. Are you reading the instructions thoroughly to make sure you know what's expected? Even small details can make a big difference in terms of marks. Do you have a mark scheme that details what a good answer is considered to be and are you following it? Are you being active enough in your revision? Revision techniques that worked for A-level might not work for you for degree level work.

Also don't forget to take note of feedback; it's easy to get a bad mark back for something and then want to stick it away in a drawer, but unless you actually take note of where you went wrong (even the little things) then you won't improve. Read any comments you get, compare your work to the mark scheme if there is one, and to other people's, etc.

I struggled in first year, I couldn't see why I wasn't getting back the marks I wanted; then in second year I realised if the way I was doing things wasn't working, I was going to need to change it. I looked at the assignments I had done well on, and compared them to where I hadn't and changed my whole approach; I now revise and tackle assignments in a totally different way that works much better for me.

Of course, there is the chance that some parts of assessment just aren't for you-I'm terrible at class tests for example, can't seem to figure out why, I do fine in any other sort of assessment. I've just picked modules that now don't include any!
Ladyliesel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cocobrown)
You should never compare yourself to other you are with, because you should focus on what matters to you.
This. You'll spend too much time worrying about the rate of others rather than your own learning pace. I sometimes felt too stupid last year. I got good grades but only after spending more hours than people who could hand in their coursework after working on it the night before. I still feel that other people are more accomplished than I but that's part of life. You may only feel stupid because as you used to get great grades that there were often people below you in class academically, but now everyone at your university meets a certain, higher standard.

Don't give up and just push through. Make the most of advice given. Seek out ways to improve and don't just worry about it. Be productive.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had real trouble with a few units in my first second and even 3rd year (My first 2 years were an HND which meant I had to pass everything) I had a couple of resits and even had to resit some of the units the next year (which meant I had a lot of free time so I taught my self to cook) I eventually passed everything and got a 2:2 (no it's not a bad degree it's what I felt and feel my level is.)

There is no shame resitting a year or a couple of unit's as long as you do your best good luck.
siseron
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GIRRRRL!!!...BOOYYY.... I get you SOOOOO much!!!! It's my second week in uni and I already feel like I'm failing in everything. I feel like I'm the stupidest person amongst others. Everyone is doing so well, everyone's so smart and then there's me.... I just feel like a failure. I wanna quit cuz I'm too dumb for uni. Although I was straight A/B student in high school...Butt I'm sorry...propably didn't help you.I wish you to find peace within yourself. Accept the way you are.
EmmaRebecca1997
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Yep constantly. I'm second year and still feel this way. Everyone else seems to be much better at everything than I am.
basicallyshrek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i feel like im too dumb for college never mind uni
PollyParrot23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Uni's meant to be harder than A-levels! And it is hard. I'm a practical person, I learn by doing things and struggle to learn via books and lectures. A lot of the content is so obscure and theoretical that it takes me ages to get my head around and I get very frustrated. But I will say that most students feel dumb and like thry don't know what they're doing. Uni might not be for you, but don't quit before you've failed. Give it your best and if you do fail then it's not the end of the world, you know you tried your best but it's not for you. But you might surprise yourself and do better than you think
EmmaRebecca1997
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
Uni's meant to be harder than A-levels! And it is hard. I'm a practical person, I learn by doing things and struggle to learn via books and lectures. A lot of the content is so obscure and theoretical that it takes me ages to get my head around and I get very frustrated. But I will say that most students feel dumb and like thry don't know what they're doing. Uni might not be for you, but don't quit before you've failed. Give it your best and if you do fail then it's not the end of the world, you know you tried your best but it's not for you. But you might surprise yourself and do better than you think
I would say uni is easier than A Levels. Most people tend to agree uni is easier than A Levels because its more flexible and you have more control over it.
Generally A Levels are seen as sort of the harder part of the standard education process unless you go on to do a masters or a PHD. But I suppose it depends on how you learn. If youre the sort of person who needs everything handed to you on a plate for you to do then yes uni is harder because its not just given to you in a set way, you have to do it in your own way independently and are given more freedom with your study.
maroumarou
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly this is really common (often called impostor syndrome). Loads of people experience it at uni, jobs and other times in life. Just reassure yourself that A Level demands + the application process are a good measure of ability. Secondly, whilst others may look like they are breezing through the course, it's impossible to know what others are thinking or feeling - they may seem very comfortable but they may be easily as stressed over their work. Also, think about how much you learnt- and most likely developed your knowledge and skill- throughout your ALevels. This will probably happen to even a greater extent at uni. Whilst the work may seem daunting now, you grow more comfortable with it overtime. Lastly, uni isn't meant to be easy/ straightforward. I know it may be hard but embrace this challenge and look at it as an opportunity to learn to cope with stress/ uncertainty in an environment that is relatively supportive before you head off into work.
PollyParrot23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
I would say uni is easier than A Levels. Most people tend to agree uni is easier than A Levels because its more flexible and you have more control over it.
Generally A Levels are seen as sort of the harder part of the standard education process unless you go on to do a masters or a PHD. But I suppose it depends on how you learn. If youre the sort of person who needs everything handed to you on a plate for you to do then yes uni is harder because its not just given to you in a set way, you have to do it in your own way independently and are given more freedom with your study.
I agree that many do find uni easier, but the content you study should be a lot more in depth and require greater understanding....therefore harder regardless of learning style
EmmaRebecca1997
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
I agree that many do find uni easier, but the content you study should be a lot more in depth and require greater understanding....therefore harder regardless of learning style
But whether something is hard or not is relative and depends on what the person finds harder. I find uni easier than a Levels because of the learning style therefore for me uni isn't harder even though there is more in depth content
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads