The Student Room Group

CertHE Qualifications and Funding

Hi there,

I recent enrolled to study a CertHE in History and Archaeology at Birkbeck (just waiting to hear back about my student loan) and I have a couple of questions:

I can't find any information on a CertHe being accepted as an entry qualification for universities? Does anyone know if it is accepted and where I can find out about what grade I would be expected to achieve ( I understand this would be dependent on the uni, but an approximation would be useful).

I am applying for funding for this course through the student loans company. Is it true I would not be able to apply for funding for a Bachelors degree because I would have studied at undergraduate level already?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Magic8BallKR
Hi there,

I recent enrolled to study a CertHE in History and Archaeology at Birkbeck (just waiting to hear back about my student loan) and I have a couple of questions:

I can't find any information on a CertHe being accepted as an entry qualification for universities? Does anyone know if it is accepted and where I can find out about what grade I would be expected to achieve ( I understand this would be dependent on the uni, but an approximation would be useful).

I am applying for funding for this course through the student loans company. Is it true I would not be able to apply for funding for a Bachelors degree because I would have studied at undergraduate level already?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

An interesting question. CertHE is often awarded to a student who passes the first year of their degree but for whatever reason decides not to continue.
Year 1 at my uni is formally designated as certificate level, year 2 diploma level and year 3 degree level.

The implication is that with a CertHE you might consider applying for year 2 entry onto the degree. The unis would check your modules against the prerequisites for their second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
As above - possibly no straightforward answer.

A CertHE is a uni-level qualification, equivalent to passing the first year of an undergraduate degree. You're effectively already accepted onto a uni-level course. Whether it's transferrable to another uni as a stand-alone qualification, will very much depend on your target uni/course. However I can't see that there would be a problem in progressing further within Birkbeck, as long as your next qualification leads on naturally from your CertHE subject.

It could mean one year off of your total uni SF entitlement but you may still find that you have enough to complete a degree. If you use it to go to the next stage of study at Birkbeck or elsewhere - essentially the second year of an undergrad degree - then you may find that it doesn't affect your SF entitlement under equivalency rules.

I think it would be worthwhile finding someone at Birckbeck to talk this over with. They're geared up for this type of piecemeal study and will have seen other people in this situation. They should be able to advise on the funding and transfer implications of going further.
Yes, a CertHE can be used as an entry qualification for another university (that's what I'm doing) - although entry into the second year is by no means guaranteed. You should contact the universities you're interested in and ask them what their policy is for accepting the CertHE in lieu of A levels or Access courses.

You can still receive funding for a bachelors degree, everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the length of their degree plus an extra year, so you would in effect be using your extra year for the CertHE.
I've recently been doing some enquiries as to whether universities will accept a CertHE in place of A Levels and the response has not been positive.

Most of the universities I've contacted have basically said they won't even consider me if my A Levels don't meet their standard and that my CertHE is of little relevance to them.

CertHE only seems to be relevant if you want to transfer to the same or a similar course at another uni. However, if you want to transfer to a totally different course, then they don't seem to be accepted.

It's very disheartening that I have spent a year studying a course that other universities see as worthless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I've recently been doing some enquiries as to whether universities will accept a CertHE in place of A Levels and the response has not been positive.

Most of the universities I've contacted have basically said they won't even consider me if my A Levels don't meet their standard and that my CertHE is of little relevance to them.

CertHE only seems to be relevant if you want to transfer to the same or a similar course at another uni. However, if you want to transfer to a totally different course, then they don't seem to be accepted.

It's very disheartening that I have spent a year studying a course that other universities see as worthless.

What universities have you contacted? Only one has given me a negative response and I've spoken to over ten.
Reply 6
Depends if the CertHE was gained as an access course (e.g. Birkbeck) or as a result of completing the first year of an undergraduate degree. If the later, the more picky institutions will disregard it and still use your alevels as a decider.
Reply 7
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

But in your case, you're trying to use a CertHE in History to get onto a Japanese degree. The two bear no relation to each other. As you've found, a CertHE isn't a stand-alone qualification which can be divorced from the originating or target subjects.

If you were applying for a history-related course with your history CertHE, then you'd probably get a more favourable response.
Original post by Klix88
But in your case, you're trying to use a CertHE in History to get onto a Japanese degree. The two bear no relation to each other. As you've found, a CertHE isn't a stand-alone qualification which can be divorced from the originating or target subjects.

If you were applying for a history-related course with your history CertHE, then you'd probably get a more favourable response.

I've said this before, but that is not strictly true. Language degrees can involve quite a bit history and the skills and knowledge a CertHE in history can teach you are very relevant to studying languages. I am doing a CertHE in the Humanities (mostly history and literature) and I have had favourable replies to my enquiries into applying for Norwegian, French and German... how do you explain that if history is as irreverent as you suggest?

I think it's quite likely that TobaccoSmoke doesn't even have a CertHE, he appears to still be enrolled on his history degree so it is not surprising that he hasn't had any positive replies. If he had done what I suggested in March and start studying a language (any language) to show linguistic ability then I am sure he would be in a much stronger position now.
Reply 9
Original post by Samual
I've said this before, but that is not strictly true. Language degrees can involve quite a bit history and the skills and knowledge a CertHE in history can teach you are very relevant to studying languages. I am doing a CertHE in the Humanities (mostly history and literature) and I have had favourable replies to my enquiries into applying for Norwegian, French and German... how do you explain that if history is as irreverent as you suggest?

I seem to remember TobaccoSmoke previously being aggrieved that he wasn't able to apply for the Japanese degree at SOAS. This had no modules which I'd have considered historical - units like post-war society and aspects of culture might have had a historical background, but the teaching really is language-focussed. I think you're right in that some proof of linguistic ability would have been more helpful to him in that example. It's likely that you have a more appropriate background for the degrees which you're investigating.

I think it's quite likely that TobaccoSmoke doesn't even have a CertHE, he appears to still be enrolled on his history degree so it is not surprising that he hasn't had any positive replies. If he had done what I suggested in March and start studying a language (any language) to show linguistic ability then I am sure he would be in a much stronger position now.

If he passed the first year then he'd qualify for a CertHE at most unis, even if he left part way through the second year. It's an assumption that I hope he's checked for his own uni, especially as he's about to ask them for a reference.
I started a Foundation Degree in Writing for Performance at Ruskin College but left after the first year with a Cert HE when I was offered the chance to transfer directly to year 2 at Staffordshire University and their Film Studies and Scriptwriting course so it is possible. I contacted most Uni's in England and Wales (excluding the north east) and the only ones who said they definitely DON'T accept Cert HE's were UEA and University of Bedfordshire. UEA were actually a bit snotty about it! Most said just apply through UCAS so not clear on their thoughts about it. Southants Solent completely ignored my email-twice! York and Staffs were both really keen and friendly. I'd definitely suggest you check out Staffordshire University. Stoke on Trent isn't the smartest city on earth but the people are nice and it's fairly cheap.
I know this post is nearly 4 years old, but i will give my thoughts. I've recently completed a CertHE with the OU (Social Sciences), and have been enquiring about starting as a first year undergraduate mature student in History. Whilst it's a different subject, they're both essay based subjects. I've had very positive feedback from Nottingham Trent, Keele, Hull and UAE, almost promising me an offer if my personal statement is up to scratch. Nottingham, Newcastle, Exeter and Lancaster have all also been very positive, and have urged me to apply, with the only requisite being that they want to see written work/ interview. The only lukewarm responses i've received so far are from Durham and St Andrews. So with it being a level 4 qualification it is possible to transfer to the first year of another subject.
yes it can, I did the first year with TOU and decided I wanted to go to a brick uni instead after completing, I used the good marks I got and triggered an exit qualification (CertHE) to use for applying.

I got 6 offers for a first year entry through clearing (initial application was for all second year entries which were all declined), the only clearing rejections I got were Russell Group Uni's which wouldn't accept me without A-level/BTEC experience.

You might struggle getting a second year entry due to nearly every University being different in what you learn during the first year.
I clicked on this and didn't realise it was several years old but in case anyone is still wondering you can use CertHE to get into university but not sure about second year. I am attending a Russell Group university with a CertHE from Birkbeck and I had no rejections from any of the other places I applied to. I think you need a distinction minimum to get in to university. Contact the universities you are interested in to find out more.
Reply 14
whatever24, may I ask why you decided to do the CertHe? I have already applied to my 5 and got accepted into 2 but I was considering contacting the universities to see if I could switch to deferred entry so I can have the year to work normal job while gaining the experience with a more vocational CertHe. I think it could be a very profitable year if I make it so because it would be viewed as an 'extra' stand alone qualification while I am in my first year of undergrad. What are your thoughts? Do you think it will set you apart from your peers or benefit you in terms of experience, employment opportunities etc?
Reply 15
“Is it true I would not be able to apply for funding for a Bachelors degree because I would have studied at undergraduate level already?“

It depends. If you gain a degree you couldn’t then apply for funding for another degree regardless of the subject. You would have to pay for the second degree yourself.

It is my understanding that you can apply for funding even though you have already studied at undergrad level UNLESS you are applying for the same qualification (again regardless of the subject).

Eg; If you studied for a degree and achieved the full degree and then later wanted to study for another degree in a different subject you would NOT be able to apply for funding.

However, if you studied for a degree but only did the first year successfully (= CertHE) then wanted to study a full degree then you could apply for student funding as although it’s the same level 4 it’s a different qualification. CertHE vs BSc.

Two of the same qualification is ‘like-for-like’ qualifications that you already possess which would prevent you from being able to apply for Student funding.

Also bear in mind if you get your CertHE from the first year of a full degree and you start to study the second year (for example if you decide to leave a bit late) you will lose one year of a BA degree funding as they would count that as you studying two years even if you only completed 1 full year and not the full 2nd year.

I know that is a VERY old question from 6 years ago but that’s my understanding.
I hope that makes sense.

Basically if you already have a degree, you won’t get funding for another degree.

If you only have a CertHE then you CAN get the funding for a degree. As long as you strictly did just one year, not a year and a bit.

I don’t know what the case would be if you had a CertHE and wanted to gain another CertHE as I’ve not been in that situation.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending