Oxford cambridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
It was the umpire's fault, he should have stopped them coming together long before the blades clashed and the bow-man came off.

I like the quote from the cambridge cox:

"let's f**k them" shows what a great vocabulary the educated from Cambridge have.
Haha!! I didn't catch that one!!! It would seem they did do that....not literally though!!! Would've been pretty hard to do that and keep rowing!

So....do you think the decision should stand then??

G
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Haha!! I didn't catch that one!!! It would seem they did do that....not literally though!!! Would've been pretty hard to do that and keep rowing!

So....do you think the decision should stand then??

G
I don't think the umpire can really change the decision. If he wanted to stop the race he should have done it during the incident. It's a bit like a football match; you can't change the verdict after. It'll just be a controversial victory for Cambridge. I don't think the Oxford cox was very good - he was taking the turns all wrong. The Oxford cox seemed to want to take the longest route around every turn.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I don't think the umpire can really change the decision. If he wanted to stop the race he should have done it during the incident. It's a bit like a football match; you can't change the verdict after. It'll just be a controversial victory for Cambridge. I don't think the Oxford cox was very good - he was taking the turns all wrong. The Oxford cox seemed to want to take the longest route around every turn.
I don't know much about rowing..so i don't know about turns ands stuff like that...but if the umpire warned the oxford cox about his line...i'd have thought it was oxford's fault....though i may be biased...

Just out of interest...if the umpire after the race had thought cambridge were at fault...would he have disqualified them and given the win to oxford??

G
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It would have been interesting to have seen the race if the oxford cox had ket his line. He had said that he thought that the boats should have been closer together, and therefore moved closer in. All of that clashing could have been prevented. I felt sorry for the bow-man, and also for the oxford guy who for a little seemed that he'd get wacked by cambridge's oars.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
I don't know much about rowing..so i don't know about turns ands stuff like that...but if the umpire warned the oxford cox about his line...i'd have thought it was oxford's fault....though i may be biased...

Just out of interest...if the umpire after the race had thought cambridge were at fault...would he have disqualified them and given the win to oxford??

G
Neither do i; but there isn't really much to know, you could see that the Oxford boat was quite a distance from the bank and the Cox was forcing the rowers to row a distance greater than it was necessary.

I guess it depends on the umpire. If he had guts he would have. If not he would have just left the result.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think Cambridge will win.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
It was the umpire's fault, he should have stopped them coming together long before the blades clashed and the bow-man came off.

I like the quote from the cambridge cox:

"let's f**k them" shows what a great vocabulary the educated from Cambridge have.

Oxford came into Cambridge's water. And the cox said "let's fox them".
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I don't think the Oxford cox was very good - he was taking the turns all wrong. The Oxford cox seemed to want to take the longest route around every turn.
I thought Acer did very well considering the Bow's seat was partially off the slide and the blade out of the rigger. That's the main reason why the boat was all over; they were one man down. I think all will agree it wasn't the best race ever, and the margine of defeat was a not a proper reflection of the standard of the two crews.

3/4 to Oxford - not bad.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Oxford came into Cambridge's water. And the cox said "let's fox them".
It's difficult to tell from the camera angle. It could well be - but the umpire should have split them before they started clashing oars.

Maybe he did say that, but it did sound a lot like "let's f**k them"
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At the time of the clash Oxford were technically in Cambridge's line (but crossovers happen all the time throughout the races). They were warned and Acer put the rudder on hard left so were moving away. The Cambridge cox also put the rudder on hard left for some reason and then the boats clashed, so it was technically a foul, but very difficult to call. Just been speaking to an extreme rowing enthusiast who said he reckons most umpires would have disqualified on that basis, but with it being the Boat Race it's hard to overturn a decision. So Cambridge win, and well done to them.

Congrats also to the Oxford Isis boat which won, as did the Oxford Women's Blues and Women's Isis crews (especially to the four Hilda's girls who rowed in the women's races last week).
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
I thought Acer did very well considering the Bow's seat was partially off the slide and the blade out of the rigger. That's the main reason why the boat was all over; they were one man down. I think all will agree it wasn't the best race ever, and the margine of defeat was a not a proper reflection of the standard of the two crews.

3/4 to Oxford - not bad.
Do you know all of the guys on the rowing team? Is it weird watching people you know on tv, and especially and the race was contraversial?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Do you know all of the guys on the rowing team? Is it weird watching people you know on tv, and especially and the race was contraversial?
To be honest I don't think the race was as contraversial as the oxford crew would like to make out. I watched the race and oxford tried a gutsy move and lost because of it. it's that simple. The umpire was shouting for them to move left when they were still cutting into the cambridge line. Cambridge did move left - you're right, but they were still sticking in their line.
then when the oxford bowsmen lost it...he really did lose it.
That said, did you see the fact that cambridge were pulling about 30/31 spm at the end, oxford were pulling some 35, and weren't gaining. They didn't have the power.
J
ps did anyone see the other boat race last night? how funnily crap was that? Beeb are getting desperate
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cambridge were in the right and esp since the umpire was telling oxford to move away.

As for the swearing the oxford cox swore serveal times... shame long gone are the days when an oxford man was a gentleman. I've nothing against the "lower class" (or whatever you want to call them) being in Oxford, but I think Oxbridge should maintain a bit of class and sound a bit more BBC English.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
I hope they both sink
rofl
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
To be honest I don't think the race was as contraversial as the oxford crew would like to make out. I watched the race and oxford tried a gutsy move and lost because of it. it's that simple. The umpire was shouting for them to move left when they were still cutting into the cambridge line. Cambridge did move left - you're right, but they were still sticking in their line.
then when the oxford bowsmen lost it...he really did lose it.
That said, did you see the fact that cambridge were pulling about 30/31 spm at the end, oxford were pulling some 35, and weren't gaining. They didn't have the power.
J
ps did anyone see the other boat race last night? how funnily crap was that? Beeb are getting desperate
I agree 100% with your last comment. The BBC is a joke. Showing minor sports like rowing, especially between two universities on national TV shows how much of a dinosaur it is. Minor sports like rowing should only be shown on national TV once in a blue moon.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by txt_eva)
Cambridge were in the right and esp since the umpire was telling oxford to move away.

As for the swearing the oxford cox swore serveal times... shame long gone are the days when an oxford man was a gentleman. I've nothing against the "lower class" (or whatever you want to call them) being in Oxford, but I think Oxbridge should maintain a bit of class and sound a bit more BBC English.
I think it was the Cambridge cox who swore. Also, what makes you think the "upper class" don't swear? Richard Nixon was a horrible swearer.
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
I think it was the Cambridge cox who swore. Also, what makes you think the "upper class" don't swear? Richard Nixon was a horrible swearer.

Oh I know they swear!
It was more the post-race interview... :rolleyes:

I think they were both swearing by the end of it...
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
was richard nixon upper class?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I agree 100% with your last comment. The BBC is a joke. Showing minor sports like rowing, especially between two universities on national TV shows how much of a dinosaur it is. Minor sports like rowing should only be shown on national TV once in a blue moon.
actually I'm in favour of the bbc showing 'minor sports'. If we all caved into your mindset then inevitably we'd only be left with football. don't ever think rugby has as many supporters.
The varsity rowing is an institution, and it's different!!! a bit of bloody variety for gods sake is a wonderful thing. It's one fricking day a year!
What i meant in my post was (obviously you've not been paying attention to recent events) BBc have lost out to ITV with regards to the varsity match - due of course to sponsorship.
Beeb responded by having an alternative boat race (the other boat race) the night before.
and it was quite lame. Funny to watch though when they two boats came right together and one of the oxford guys twatted the cambridge woman in the face.
J
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
actually I'm in favour of the bbc showing 'minor sports'. If we all caved into your mindset then inevitably we'd only be left with football. don't ever think rugby has as many supporters.
The varsity rowing is an institution, and it's different!!! a bit of bloody variety for gods sake is a wonderful thing. It's one fricking day a year!
What i meant in my post was (obviously you've not been paying attention to recent events) BBc have lost out to ITV with regards to the varsity match - due of course to sponsorship.
Beeb responded by having an alternative boat race (the other boat race) the night before.
and it was quite lame. Funny to watch though when they two boats came right together and one of the oxford guys twatted the cambridge woman in the face.
J
I was well aware of the fact that ITV had stolen the boat race. Good for them I say, just another reason why the license fee should be srapped. The way its going, all the BBC will show is continous re-runs of Eastenders and DIY shagging programs. very similary, the BBC have lost the Simpsons to Channel 4, just another example of the 'good old beebs' innovative nature, losing one of the most watched programs on BBC2.

Well actually Rugby is the second most watched game in the country. The world cup final had one of the highest viewing viewing attendances out of any sporting events in the world this year, despite being on in the morning. Its up there with the superbowl et al. Rowing should be on sky, it would die on its arse not being on national TV whereas rugby like you point out doesnt, it regulary draws millions of viewers often at 7am in the morning when games are played down under. I couldnt see people getting up at 7am to watch Oxford and Cambridge battle it out, apart from the die hards.

Like I said before, I have no problem with rowing being on national TV, as long as its during th Oylmpics or the rowing world/European championships. Then and only then it has a rightful place.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1234)
79.61%
Leave (316)
20.39%

Watched Threads