The Student Room Group

Do I need a TV license to watch live TV on my laptop using SkyGo/Virgin TV Anywhere?

Currently living away from home in student accommodation. Virgin have something called 'TV Anywhere', which allows you to watch live TV on a portable device.

At home, we have a TV license and Virgin TV. Does this cover me whilst I'm in uni accommodation?
Original post by matt9210
Currently living away from home in student accommodation. Virgin have something called 'TV Anywhere', which allows you to watch live TV on a portable device.

At home, we have a TV license and Virgin TV. Does this cover me whilst I'm in uni accommodation?

In terms of TV Licence, it covers you as long as the device you are watching the live TV on is not plugged into the mains (or an aerial).

There may be a limit on the number of devices you can sign up to one virgin account as well.
Reply 2
mate, no one's going to be checking... Also it does say 'TV ANYWHERE'. Don't worry about it.
Reply 3
So long as your parents have a licence, and you unplug the device from the mains whilst you're watching live TV, then you don't need a licence :smile:
Reply 4
If you're watching live TV, on any device, you do need one - unless the device isn't plugged into the mains and runs only on internal batteries when watching, plus your non-uni address has a licence.

More info here:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending