Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you work about 16 hours a week at £5-6 per hour (during term time) about how much would you pay in tax?

My job in Norway pays £8 per hour (office intern at law firm), which is considered "good pay". How much would you earn in Britain for a similar job? What do most jobs available to students pay?

ReputationRep:
    If you earn less than £4000 (only a rough figure) you do pay any income tax at all. I think its around 25% above this. then 35% above 40k. These figures are very rough though.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know its 0% up to £4k, 10% between £4-10k, 22% between £10k and around £30k, then 40% on all above that. So at say 16 hours at £5 p/h, that's £80 a week, which is roughly equal to £4k p/a, so you'll pay very little, if any, tax. National insurance is on anything you earn over £90 p/w. This are all from memory though, so correct me if I'm wrong please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    As far as I know its 0% up to £4k, 10% between £4-10k, 22% between £10k and around £30k, then 40% on all above that. So at say 16 hours at £5 p/h, that's £80 a week, which is roughly equal to £4k p/a, so you'll pay very little, if any, tax. National insurance is on anything you earn over £90 p/w. This are all from memory though, so correct me if I'm wrong please.
    What's national insurance?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite sketchy on this but its essentially another form of tax which goes into somewhere like the Social Security department. Can anyone help me out here?

ReputationRep:
    National Insurance is a thing you have to pay law once you earn over a certain amount. It basicaly contridbutes to your pension etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    National Insurance is a thing you have to pay law once you earn over a certain amount. It basicaly contridbutes to your pension etc.
    foreigers have to pay for pensions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Erm I would have thought only if you were a british citizen, I think foreigners have to pay for it only towards NHS etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'm not aware of the rules on foreigners paying NI - anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I'm quite sketchy on this but its essentially another form of tax which goes into somewhere like the Social Security department. Can anyone help me out here?
    Yeah it effects how much money you can get from the dole etc. My dad dosn't pay as he works for himself so he could never claim the dole.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.