The Student Room Group

Rejected from Sainsburys

Applied to work on tills, did the required procedure online, passed it. Got an interview the following day, turned up to it early as expected. Ended up speaking with the current employees and those that had come for the same vacancy and those that had turned up for other vacancies. By looking at the current staff and supervisors/managers, I had my suspicions none of them went onto further education after they did they O Levels/GCSE'S neither did the other candidates.

Cut the story short, we were all put into a room to watch another test DVD and fill out a questionnaire. Bearing in mind people were missing parts on their questionnaires because they simply could not identify the simplest things. Having a cheeky peak, I saw several candidates were failing the basic maths tests as well.

In the end, I went to the 1 on 1 interview and confirmed the regular questions.

I received a rejection email the other day. Although it would have been nice to get the position, I simply have to laugh that I did not get it.

But you know, a 2:1 Degee in Finance and Management can't get you a cashier job. Clearly Im not qualified to scan 20 items per minute and make conversation with a stranger.

Facedesk. Rant Over.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OhdearSains
Applied to work on tills, did the required procedure online, passed it. Got an interview the following day, turned up to it early as expected. Ended up speaking with the current employees and those that had come for the same vacancy and those that had turned up for other vacancies. By looking at the current staff and supervisors/managers, I had my suspicions none of them went onto further education after they did they O Levels/GCSE'S neither did the other candidates.

Cut the story short, we were all put into a room to watch another test DVD and fill out a questionnaire. Bearing in mind people were missing parts on their questionnaires because they simply could not identify the simplest things. Having a cheeky peak, I saw several candidates were failing the basic maths tests as well.

I received a rejection email the other day. Although it would have been nice to get the position, I simply have to laugh that I did not get it.

But you know, a 2:1 Degee in Finance and Management can't get you a cashier job. Clearly Im not qualified to scan 20 items per minute and make conversation with a stranger.

Facedesk. Rant Over.

Sorry to hear about it, but take it as good luck: Working at the tills in a Sainsbury's is probably one of the worst jobs you can get, especially for someone of your academic background.

Anyhow, I don't see why they would've rejected you ... seems stupid from their part, but it's their loss. I'm sure you'll have other opportunities elsewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by Dodgypirate
Sorry to hear about it, but take it as good luck: Working at the tills in a Sainsbury's is probably one of the worst jobs you can get, especially for someone of your academic background.

Anyhow, I don't see why they would've rejected you ... seems stupid from their part, but it's their loss. I'm sure you'll have other opportunities elsewhere.

I applied as Im flexible and honestly for the time being, I am keen to work in any entry level position just to learn the the ins and outs of the workforce at entry level, but after being rejected from this position, I was a tad shocked. I have another entry level interview today, the interviews are not a problem for me. I shall update you on how it goes. Wish me luck.
Reply 3
It's 21 items per minute.
Reply 4

Facedesk. Rant Over.

They probably didn't want someone that thinks he's too good for the job, and would presumably be moving on as soon as soon as he gets the opportunity. Better for them that they get someone who's in it for the long haul.

And the 2:1 degree is irrelevant. Someone with an E in GCSE maths could work tills. What's much more important are people skills and general attitude.
Reply 5
Original post by Add!ction
It's 21 items per minute.

Ah, well I did not get to the induction stage, but thank you for clarifying how many items I would've needed to scan, haha.
Reply 6
I was rejected from a job at Asda, despite having experience in the field.Makes me wonder who they do choose!.I decided that it was their loss and not mine.
You're clearly just bitter that people who you considered to be unintelligent and uneducated obviously came across better than you in the tests and in the one to one interview.

Perhaps you should be re-evaluating whether your 2.1 really made you all that?
Reply 8
Original post by scriggy
They probably didn't want someone that thinks he's too good for the job, and would presumably be moving on as soon as soon as he gets the opportunity. Better for them that they get someone who's in it for the long haul.

And the 2:1 degree is irrelevant. Someone with an E in GCSE maths could work tills. What's much more important are people skills and general attitude.

My attitude for the interview was not one of 'I am too good for this job', it was one of 'Im eager for you to take me on, Im here for the long run' with comments such as 'I want to develop within the company'.

My people skills are perfectly fine, as I have worked within the leisure industry, in which the the team I was apart of loved me, as I was one asset they could not replace.

Would I have moved on after, say 6 months when I have learnt a few things about entry level jobs? Yes. But I did not give them the opportunity to have that assumption. Just typing my reasoning on how I approached the procedure for the job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
You're clearly just bitter that people who you considered to be unintelligent and uneducated obviously came across better than you in the tests and in the one to one interview.

Perhaps you should be re-evaluating whether your 2.1 really made you all that?

I am not bitter at all, they may have come across 'better' than me, but with the whole emphasis on career progression within the company, I do not see how an individual with minimal GCSE'S (Im assuming) is a better candidate to progress within the company than me.

But this is an entry level job, so Im not that bothered that I wont be getting paid Minimum Wage. Fortunately in life, I come from a background that does not require me to have a job to live a quality lifestyle. I am just merely expressing my experience of a job application of a certain company with users on these forums.
Reply 10
I was rejected by McDonald's twice but I have worked in House of Fraser and Superdry ever since.
Reply 11
Original post by katyness
I was rejected by McDonald's twice but I have worked in House of Fraser and Superdry ever since.

Do you know why you were rejected, if not, do you have your suspicions?
Reply 12
I find it hilarious that graduates still believe attaining a degree gives them a preference over those with perhaps a less academic background. I've come to the realisation that in most cases a BA or Bsc certificate is rather meaningless in the real world. Particularly in more menial or customer facing type jobs. You'll be surprised to know that graduates being rejected for retail work is more common than you might imagine. It's not a unique case to yourself so don't take it personally.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Do you know why you were rejected, if not, do you have your suspicions?

Nope. But I'm guessing they felt I was too good for them :cool:
Reply 14
Original post by josephb88
I find it hilarious that graduates still believe attaining a degree gives them a preference over those with perhaps a less academic background. I've come to the realisation that in most cases BA or Bsc certificate is rather meaningless in the real world. Particularly in more menial or customer facing type jobs. You'll be surprised to know that graduates being rejected for retail work is more common than you might imagine. It's not a unique case to yourself so don't take it personally.

I haven't taken it personally, but tell me why should someone have to invest thousands of pounds in achieving a qualification when someone merely with no customer based skills, hardly any qualifications is more qualified than you to say 'stack shelves' because they are no threat to the job security of higher management.
There is no problem for me to seek management positions within the same organisation but I haven chosen not to.
Reply 15
OP I think in your position I would ask for some feedback from your interview process, and which specific factors led to your rejection. I imagine due to you having a degree they would guess you are going to only be there until something else shows up after they have gone to trouble of training you etc. If thats the case tell them you had thought you wanted to start your career at the sharp end, but would appreciate any information they have on their management training programmes, if you can get in at a higher level then all the better!
Reply 16
Why on earth would Sainsburys be interested in your degree? They need someone to work the tills, not someone who will leave as soon as they find a more appropriate job for themselves.

Plus, supermarkets are one of the most obvious places that 6th formers and students apply to, so they can pick and choose.
(edited 10 years ago)
why should someone have to invest thousands of pounds in achieving a qualification when someone merely with no customer based skills, hardly any qualifications is more qualified than you to say 'stack shelves'

sensibly, how long do you want to be stacking shelves? Because the person who got the job might be there for a decade. And this is a competitive advantage over you.
Reply 18
Original post by LolaLowe
OP I think in your position I would ask for some feedback from your interview process, and which specific factors led to your rejection. I imagine due to you having a degree they would guess you are going to only be there until something else shows up after they have gone to trouble of training you etc. If thats the case tell them you had thought you wanted to start your career at the sharp end, but would appreciate any information they have on their management training programmes, if you can get in at a higher level then all the better!

I am awaiting feedback from the Manager that had the 1 to 1 interview with me, but as I said earlier, I do not wish to apply for a higher position at this current moment because money is not an issue to me, for which I know I am fortunate.
Reply 19
Original post by Rananagirl
Why on earth would Sainsburys be interested in your degree? They need someone to work the tills, not someone who will leave as soon as they find a more appropriate job for themselves.

Plus, supermarkets are one of the most obvious places that 6th formers and students apply to, so they can pick and choose.

If they are not interested in my education, then why as a company, are they so interested in your education via the application process and then during the interview process?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending