The Student Room Group

dilemma: NHS experience vs good pay

hi all,

Since graduating in 2012 I treated myself to a bit of a gap year. I volunteered at a nursing home for a few months (for the second year running), did some travelling, and spent 3 months in india shadowing doctors. Since coming home I've gotten an investment banking internship that will likely lead to a full time position. I'm currently applying for 2014 GEP entry, though I'm not confident about my chances and I think its likely I'll have to reapply next year.

The internship ends in a few weeks and I'm not sure if I should take a position with the bank if I'm offered, or turn it down and look for work in the NHS. On the one hand, medicine is unquestionably what I want to do with my life and working in the NHS would give me a lot more experience + things to talk about if I need to reapply next year. On the other, this banking job would allow me to save enough money to cover a fair amount of a 5 year graduate entry course; this year I am limited to applying for 4 year courses due to monetary reasons. I could still volunteer once or twice a week to show my continued interest in medicine.

My main concern with turning down this job is the uncertainty around getting a job with the NHS. I've looked through their jobs page but I haven't found it terribly useful, and I have no idea what sort of roles I could walk into without any official health care qualifications. Does anybody have any good advice or resources about getting work in the NHS?
Reply 1
Original post by antimony51
hi all,

Since graduating in 2012 I treated myself to a bit of a gap year. I volunteered at a nursing home for a few months (for the second year running), did some travelling, and spent 3 months in india shadowing doctors. Since coming home I've gotten an investment banking internship that will likely lead to a full time position. I'm currently applying for 2014 GEP entry, though I'm not confident about my chances and I think its likely I'll have to reapply next year.

The internship ends in a few weeks and I'm not sure if I should take a position with the bank if I'm offered, or turn it down and look for work in the NHS. On the one hand, medicine is unquestionably what I want to do with my life and working in the NHS would give me a lot more experience + things to talk about if I need to reapply next year. On the other, this banking job would allow me to save enough money to cover a fair amount of a 5 year graduate entry course; this year I am limited to applying for 4 year courses due to monetary reasons. I could still volunteer once or twice a week to show my continued interest in medicine.

My main concern with turning down this job is the uncertainty around getting a job with the NHS. I've looked through their jobs page but I haven't found it terribly useful, and I have no idea what sort of roles I could walk into without any official health care qualifications. Does anybody have any good advice or resources about getting work in the NHS?

If you get offered a full time position in banking, my advice would be to take it. Medicine isn't cheap and it sounds as though you have enough work experience to talk about in your personal statement.

You would probably meet the person specification for a healthcare assistant (HCA) but the pay would be a lot less than in banking and it wouldn't necessarily give you an edge if you have prolonged work experience already.

If you could get some NHS clinical experience that would be useful, but not at the expense of a well paid job elsewhere. Life is too short to struggle unnecssarily.
Reply 2
I can only speak from personal experience but the NHS recruitment process was a bit of a nightmare. I applied for a job in August and started it in March. I was temping during the rest of the time so could have started as soon as possible but it still took over 6 months.

Plus I couldn't actually afford to live on the wage I got and save the money I needed for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Regarding that 6 month wait -- thats my fear. I can't afford to be unemployed for that length of time, I've only just gotten out of my overdraft from uni! I'm just worried that if I have to re-apply, admissions tutors will look at what I've been for the past year and question my desire to pursue medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by antimony51
Regarding that 6 month wait -- thats my fear. I can't afford to be unemployed for that length of time, I've only just gotten out of my overdraft from uni! I'm just worried that if I have to re-apply, admissions tutors will look at what I've been for the past year and question my desire to pursue medicine.

Could you do some voluntary work alongside? I can only think of Leicester at the moment who requires paid work experience, if you could fit some voluntary work in along side this would show commitment too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending