The Student Room Group

staged application

Does it make sense to stage my application in order to conceal the fact that I am applying to Oxford, i.e. finish my application by October 15 and then wait for a month or so to add my other choices?
My concern is that the other unis I want to apply to (LSE, UCL, King's) might not offer me a place because they fear that an offer from Oxford would make me reject their potential offers.
Has anyone experience with this practice? Any help is appreciated! :smile:
Original post by MathiasKrieger
Does it make sense to stage my application in order to conceal the fact that I am applying to Oxford, i.e. finish my application by October 15 and then wait for a month or so to add my other choices?
My concern is that the other unis I want to apply to (LSE, UCL, King's) might not offer me a place because they fear that an offer from Oxford would make me reject their potential offers.

It makes no sense at all. Plenty of non-Oxbridge applicants apply before October 15th and in any case, as you will find out if you do a search of threads on the matter, no university rejects what they may believe to be (since they cannot know) Oxbridge applicants on any grounds other than that they may not have what they (the universities) in particular are looking for.

The vast majority of Oxbridge applicants wont get an offer and even fewer will eventually get a place. Therefore the chances are that you will end up at an 'other' Uni. All other Unis know this. That's why they make Oxbridge candidates just the same offers as everybody else. And actually they havnt got a clue if you've definitely applied to Oxbridge anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
just to throw a spanner in the works, some unis actually do turn down candidates if they think they have applied to oxbridge and have only chosen their university as a 'back up' choice. typically UCL, durham and bristol are known to do this. I know a lot of people to at oxbridge who did not get offers from these universities - despite having flawless grades and applications. In their eyes a place given to an oxbridge graduate is a place wasted. they don't want to be anyone's second choice.

so yes, it might actually be worth adding your other choices later.
Makes no sense...
Original post by Lumos
just to throw a spanner in the works, some unis actually do turn down candidates if they think they have applied to oxbridge and have only chosen their university as a 'back up' choice. typically UCL, durham and bristol are known to do this.

Have you got any real proof of this beyond anecdotal gossip ie. 'its well known' or 'my friend says'??

I did the opposite and applied before 15/10/11 even though I was not applying to Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ps I am starting my 2nd year at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If this is any help, I applied to Cambridge, LSE and Kings and received offers from all three. Obviously a Pre-Oct 5th application.

So, it does make me wonder if this so-called discrimination is actual fact or just a myth. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
Have you got any real proof of this beyond anecdotal gossip ie. 'its well known' or 'my friend says'??

no. but it's happened too many times for me to think it's a coincidence.
Original post by Lumos
no. but it's happened too many times for me to think it's a coincidence.

To who?

What Universities?

When?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
To who?

What Universities?

When?

2010- my sister, Biology, rejection bath university, offer from cambridge
2010 - sister's friend, English, rejection bristol university, offer from oxford
2010 - sister's friend, Mathematics, rejection warwick and bristol university, offer from cambridge
2012 - my friend, History, rejection durham university, offer from oxford
2012 - my friend, Biology, regection from UCL, offer from oxford
2013 - myself, History, rejection from UCL, offer from oxford

These are personal cases, I spoke to quite a few people during my interviews who said they had also experienced something similar but I don't know the details of those.

could be a coincidence of course, but the majority of people I know who did get offers from bristol, UCL or durham did not apply to oxbridge.
Original post by Lumos
2010 - sister's friend, English, rejection bristol university, offer from oxford
2010 - sister's friend, Mathematics, rejection warwick and bristol university, offer from cambridge

These are personal cases, I spoke to quite a few people during my interviews who said they had also experienced something similar but I don't know the details of those.

could be a coincidence of course, but the majority of people I know who did get offers from bristol, UCL or durham did not apply to oxbridge.

Do you think if I were to apply before the 15th with grades that clearly anyone with any sense wouldn't apply to Oxbridge with, Durham wouldn't suspect I was and therefore not use that as a reason to reject me? Or should I just wait a couple of weeks to be sure? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lumos

So actually you've got no proof whatsoever that it was 'because they also applied to Oxbridge', its just an assumption.
Reply 14
So actually you've got no proof whatsoever that it was 'because they also applied to Oxbridge', its just an assumption.

I already said I had no proof herp derp
Original post by Lumos
some unis actually do turn down candidates if they think they have applied to oxbridge and have only chosen their university as a 'back up' choice. typically UCL, durham and bristol are known to do this.

That sounds very much like an assumption of proof to me.
Reply 16
That sounds very much like an assumption of proof to me.

practicing for our critical thinking AS are we
OP - I'd advise holding off on your other choices if you're unsure exactly which universities and courses you want as your other 4 choices (or if your other 4 choices might change depending on whether you get invited for an interview at Oxford)

Delaying your choices to "trick" your other universities wont work - universities can see when you submitted your application as well as when you submitted the application specific to them. Although they can't see that you've applied specifically to Oxford and which course then *if* they do take it into account then applying in stages wont hide the information.
Original post by Lumos
practicing for our critical thinking AS are we

Actually, I think returnmigrant works at a university, as an admissions officer. :colondollar:
And if that's what a 1st year Oxford degree course in History teaches you about 'use of evidence,' I suggest you ask for your money back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending