The Student Room Group

4 Advanced Highers + 1 Higher - too much??

Right so next year I really want to do Advanced Higher Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Applied Mathematics: Mechanics and Higher Philosophy. I'm worried that this might be overwhelming especially since I'll have to self teach Applied Maths and, going on the number of people in my Higher class who plan to take it to AH next year, I'll probably have to go to another school in my area for Advanced Higher Chemistry which would eat up some of my time in school due to travelling.

So really I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their wisdom with me having done Advanced Highers before, i.e. how heavy was the workload? was it a big jump from Higher?

Thanks in advanced!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fitzple4sure

Thanks in advanced!!

Reply 2
Original post by Pennyarcade
[IMG x

That is one big ass picture
Reply 3
It's probably a bit much, not to mention totally unnecessary.
Reply 4
Original post by Mechie
It's probably a bit much, not to mention totally unnecessary.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is unnecessary as I'm planning to apply for Physics and Philosophy at Oxford and similar courses at Imperial, UCL, Manchester and St Andrews (second year entry) which all require a minimum of AAB at Advanced Higher. My thinking here is that if I'm competing for a place against someone who has 4 A-levels at A*A*AA and 6 AS subjects I'm at a complete disadvantage by only doing 3 subjects in my 6th year.
Reply 5
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is unnecessary as I'm planning to apply for Physics and Philosophy at Oxford and similar courses at Imperial, UCL, Manchester and St Andrews (second year entry) which all require a minimum of AAB at Advanced Higher. My thinking here is that if I'm competing for a place against someone who has 4 A-levels at A*A*AA and 6 AS subjects I'm at a complete disadvantage by only doing 3 subjects in my 6th year.

I understand where you're coming from. I applied for Cambridge, and when I was in 5th year picking my subjects I wanted to do 4 AH (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) for this purpose. These universities understand that AHs in Scotland are rarer than A levels in England, and make allowances for such. My school phoned Cambridge and asked them if I'd have a significant advantage in doing 4 AHs, and they said I wouldn't, and I should only do the 4th if it's something that specifically interested me. Perhaps it would be worth asking your school to phone the English universities about it to see if they say the same thing.

My own advice would be to do 3 AHs, and seeing as you're applying for Physics and Philosophy keep the Higher so you do 3AHs and 1H. This is a lot more do-able with the one less AH. Obviously you should speak to the school and the universities first, though.
Reply 6
Original post by Mechie
I understand where you're coming from. I applied for Cambridge, and when I was in 5th year picking my subjects I wanted to do 4 AH (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) for this purpose. These universities understand that AHs in Scotland are rarer than A levels in England, and make allowances for such. My school phoned Cambridge and asked them if I'd have a significant advantage in doing 4 AHs, and they said I wouldn't, and I should only do the 4th if it's something that specifically interested me. Perhaps it would be worth asking your school to phone the English universities about it to see if they say the same thing.

My own advice would be to do 3 AHs, and seeing as you're applying for Physics and Philosophy keep the Higher so you do 3AHs and 1H. This is a lot more do-able with the one less AH. Obviously you should speak to the school and the universities first, though.

Okay so I took your advice and spoke to the higher education coordinator at our school (I attend a Group 1 LEAPS school so applying to Oxford is pretty much unheard of) and she promised to email them for me. It's just I really enjoy chemistry but I've heard that Further Maths has basically become a mandatory subject for getting into Physics (although this is not backed up by Oxford, I get the general vibe that it is now a prerequisite from other people) and since Applied Maths is like the Scottish equivalent it's gonna be a hard decision of what one to drop, if I were to drop one.
Reply 7
Original post by Apologetic Cube

How did you do at Higher? I think you'd probably be alright with those subjects as Maths, Physics and Mechanics are supposed to complement each other, so much so that, in the past, people have often referred to Mechanics as being like a free Advanced Higher. So you're effectively looking at 3 AH and 1 H, which is more than attainable. I say, go for it!

I'm currently doing my highers (english, maths, physics, chemistry and biology) and going on the baseline assessments, class tests, my reports and other things like homework I'm on track (if I maintain my current rate of progress) to get 5As. I managed to achieve 8 1s at Standard Grade as well. I know it's quite early on in my 5th year but if I were to undertake all of these subjects I'd have to let the guidance teachers know, so it's best that I think about it the now.

Also, I thought the AH maths/physics and applied maths courses might be similar but since I haven't done them (yet) and none of my teachers know what the Applied course entails I can't be sure, you wouldn't happen to know exactly how comparable they are?? i.e. are there quite large areas of overlap between them?

But if they are comparable to a large extent then I probably would seriously consider taking all 4 if, as you said, one were to be like a free AH.
I'm doing four advanced highers . Per warning you now though, some teachers will be utter d*cks about it, acting as if you are doomed to fail because you're doing an extra subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well done on your Standard Grade results. For now, you should focus on your Highers; worry about sixth year nearer to the time!

I'm doing AH Maths and Physics but the Applied Maths course I'm taking is Statistics, so I couldn't tell you how much of the Mechanics course is covered solely through Maths and Physics. I'll quote someone who may, however.

I'm not sure whether to feel flattered or creeped out by this stalkiness.

I.

AH Mechanics is almost entirely free. There's like 3 things on the learning outcome sheets not covered in the other subjects (unit 1 is AH maths unit 1, unit 2 is linear kinematics, ie unit 1 of higher physics, and unit 3 is angular kinematics, ie unit 1 of AH physics). There's some new vector notation and stuff to get used to, but basically it's very little extra work. I didn't have a teacher for much of my mechanics class, and a fair few of my class did all right (I think most of the people doing maths+mechanics got As).

Caveat: I sat AHs in 2008. Anything might be out of date now!

If you take on too much you'll end up with 5 average qualifications rather than 3 excellent qualifications. None of us know your capability though, you might be very intelligent and do brilliantly in all 5, only you know.
Reply 11
Id say go for it if you genuinely believe you can do it. I did 4 Advanced highers and 2 crash highers, it sounds more difficult than it is. Just requires some organizations and time management. Tho my subjects are arguably easier.....depends on the person, I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legii
Id say go for it if you genuinely believe you can do it. I did 4 Advanced highers and 2 crash highers, it sounds more difficult than it is. Just requires some organizations and time management. Tho my subjects are arguably easier.....depends on the person, I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow!! What subjects/grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
Wow!! What subjects/grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adv highers: maths, bio, art-expressive, and graphics
Highers: chem physics
Got 6As. Not sure how I managed tho xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legii
Adv highers: maths, bio, art-expressive, and graphics
Highers: chem physics
Got 6As. Not sure how I managed tho xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm. Wow. Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I did this last year and got all As, so go for it.
Original post by Simarilli
I did this last year and got all As, so go for it.

Wow. What subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
Wow. What subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AH - Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Music
H - Computing
Original post by Simarilli
AH - Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Music
H - Computing

Fantastic! I'm doing AH chem, physics, English and bio but I'm aiming for AAAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not just aim for 4 A's?

When I say AAAB, I mean I would be very happy with that . But ah english seems to subjective in marking etc so I'm trying not to be unrealistic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending