The Student Room Group

UCAS says we don't need line breaks in PS

I've heard from a number of sources (including TSR and my college) to put line breaks in between each paragraph of the personal statement on UCAS. This makes sense, otherwise the whole thing is going to look like one big block of text. However, reading the help page of UCAS Apply, I came across this:
If you prepared your personal statement using a word-processing package and pasted it into Apply, you may find that any paragraph spacing that you included is not displayed. Don't worry - your chosen universities and colleges will receive the original formatted version.

View original
The implication of this, as far as I can tell, is that writing in Word using the Normal profile (which automatically line-breaks paragraphs) is an acceptable way of submitting a statement. Yet, when this is pasted in, the line breaks will disappear, and this tells us not to worry about it?!

I'm not sure who to believe here; obviously UCAS are something of an authority, but literally everyone else I've ever spoken to disagrees. Any thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Can you provide a link to the specific page, as I can't see this anywhere on the UCAS site.

As far as I am aware, the personal statement will appear to admissions staff exactly as it appears if you click preview. If there's no line spacing there, then there's no line spacing. To me, if this isn't the case, it makes the preview function a bit redundant as well.
Reply 2
Original post by benplumley
I've heard from a number of sources (including TSR and my college) to put line breaks in between each paragraph of the personal statement on UCAS. This makes sense, otherwise the whole thing is going to look like one big block of text. However, reading the help page of UCAS Apply, I came across this:

The implication of this, as far as I can tell, is that writing in Word using the Normal profile (which automatically line-breaks paragraphs) is an acceptable way of submitting a statement. Yet, when this is pasted in, the line breaks will disappear, and this tells us not to worry about it?!

I'm not sure who to believe here; obviously UCAS are something of an authority, but literally everyone else I've ever spoken to disagrees. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvqFG-C9RvY

Go to around 3 minutes ish and you can see the paper which the university will receive in a dudes hand. You can see line breaks.
My line lengths happen to fall in such a way that it is very clear where my paragraphs are, with no spaces. I've heard plenty of other people on here who say they have no spaces. Using line breaks would've meant I'd have had to remove an entire paragraph. Given that personal statements really aren't long, I wouldn't go with breaks.
Original post by Jkizer

Go to around 3 minutes ish and you can see the paper which the university will receive in a dudes hand. You can see line breaks.

Everyone knows you can have line breaks, the OP is trying to say that you don't need to explicitly put them in.
This makes sense considering that track has a new format/look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

But his is just an example? He probably entered those lines himself..
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Can you provide a link to the specific page, as I can't see this anywhere on the UCAS site.

https://apply2.ucas.com/ucasapply2014/PopUpServlet?functionname=help&page=HELP.PERSONALSTATEMENT.STATEMENT.FIELD.STATEMENT
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer

Original post by PythianLegume
Everyone knows you can have line breaks, the OP is trying to say that you don't need to explicitly put them in.

Actually, I think this video does have the answer in. Go to 1:34, you'll see the difference between a carriage return and a line break between the second and third lines of "blah blah blah". It looks like UCAS displays these in a similar way to the way Word displays them, so I'm going to go without line breaks. Thanks for the research guys :biggrin:
Reply 11
Peculiar that my link is broken, it still works from here.22f6429527267487de2b13193da95756.png
Peculiar that my link is broken, it still works from here.22f6429527267487de2b13193da95756.png

It's because your link was to UCAS Apply - you need to be logged in on an account to see it.
Obviously it's up to you how you submit your statment, but I would be wary of expecting line breaks to appear if they don't appear in the preview screen as this is supposed to be exactly how your statement will come up when your application reaches universities.

View original

No. What it states is that the render within apply ignores the formatting characters. The uni however will view it and the formatting characters will be used and the correct format shown.

Reads very clearly to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

View original

What it means is that you need to put your paragraph spacing in but when you preview it, the paragraph spacing will not show up. However the universities will receive it the way you pasted it in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I press 'view all details' in the 'apply' section of UCAS, my personal statement looks like this, with paragraphing:

EG2.jpg

However, when I go on track, and view my details there, my personal statement looks like this, completely without paragraphing:

EG1.jpg

Is this supposed to happen/has this happened to anyone else?

(I've blurred out the actual words of my PS for obvious reasons).
Original post by R.P.Everything.
When I press 'view all details' in the 'apply' section of UCAS, my personal statement looks like this, with paragraphing:

EG2.jpg

However, when I go on track, and view my details there, my personal statement looks like this, completely without paragraphing:

EG1.jpg

Is this supposed to happen/has this happened to anyone else?

(I've blurred out the actual words of my PS for obvious reasons).

Yes, your unis will receive it as the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending