The Student Room Group

A level history? Opinions?

I definitely want to do A level history next year, as I enjoyed doing GCSE history and got an A in it. But I'd just like a few opinions. How did you find it, and was it at all hard?
Someone told me it was one of the easiest A levels, but I doubt it's not challenging in any way.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Whoever told you it is an easy A level is clearly deluded and is trying to trick you. No A level is considered "easy", some are just more simple in comparison to others and even then it comes down to the subjectivity of the individual as some find others harder and others easy. From someone who has taken A level history and now an undergraduate in the subject, it most certainly is not easy. Depending on the exam board you are with and what teacher you get will be a real factor in whether you enjoy history or not.

You should find out:
- the units you'll be taking
- what the assessment format is
- entry requirements
- and consider what you want to do after A levels, as A levels are crucial if you are considering further education
Reply 3
History is a great A Level in my opinion. It has weight and is considered a "proper subject" whilst at the same time it isn't as dry as lets say Maths or Physics.

Again I'm someone who choose to study History at GCSE, A Level and am now an Undergraduate in the subject and I would definitely recommend it. The key as with any subject is enjoyment, if you're interested in historical events, practices or how people lived their lives in the past then you should have no problems studying the subject at A Level!
Reply 4
I have friends who have told me that A level history means lots of essays (undoubtedly), so it could be a workload if you're taking a lot of essay subjects. Apparently it's a big jump from GCSE like all A levels. Try and find out about what you'll be learning in case you won't like it.

Also, what else are you planning to take?
What do you want to do in uni/the future?
Original post by lianaist
I definitely want to do A level history next year, as I enjoyed doing GCSE history and got an A in it. But I'd just like a few opinions. How did you find it, and was it at all hard?
Someone told me it was one of the easiest A levels, but I doubt it's not challenging in any way.

History, alongside biology, is my favourite subject. I absolutely adore it! I suppose it depends what topics you study, but I find it fascinating! What makes history difficult in my opinion is the sheer amount of content. There is SO much to revise and remember, so many dates, facts and figures. It really does require a fair bit of effort. The content itself isn't difficult, you just need to be good at memorising. You also need to ensure you get the essay technique right, that develops the more essays you write. Once you get the hang of that, you'll be absolutely fine.

I really couldn't recommend it enough, it's such a rewarding subject :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending