Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone think of this year's boat race?!

Personally I do feel sorry for Oxford and think that the umpire should have upheld their appeal, or at least waited until he had seen the footage! Grrrr. I suppose I don't understand the racing rules/techniques though and I am biased towards Oxford, but from my point of view, as a complete outsider who has never seen the boat race before, it did look like it was Cams fault they clashed - after all they were the one's catching Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    it did look like it was Cams fault they clashed - after all they were the one's catching Oxford!

Oxford were trying to take the corner too soon to try and get a bigger lead and came into Cambridge's water. The moral? Don't be greedy .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Oxford were trying to take the corner too soon to try and get a bigger lead and came into Cambridge's water. The moral? Don't be greedy .
    Fair enough - I thought it was hard to tell the angle from the aerial view! But I would have thought that the person in the lead would have the priority! GRRR don't suppose I'll understand the rules/technique of the boat race even when I do go to Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    No, we were robbed!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was funny when they showed the cambridge cox saying 'now its time to f**k them!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I thought it was funny when they showed the cambridge cox saying 'now its time to f**k them!'
    LMAO! So did I - and then suddenly how the sound was turned off and you could just see his mouth moving.

Personally, I thought the Oxford Cox was a very good sport (being polite to cams and sayin well dun etc) but as soon as I heard cam's cox say that I thought that was really rude and unsportsmanlike!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    LMAO! So did I - and then suddenly how the sound was turned off and you could just see his mouth moving.

Personally, I thought the Oxford Cox was a very good sport (being polite to cams and sayin well dun etc) but as soon as I heard cam's cox say that I thought that was really rude and unsportsmanlike!

I know, lol. Despite having an offer from cambridge I actually wanted oxford to win because at least they were mostly british unlike cambridge which was largely german and american.

ReputationRep:
    But oxford were told to move out a bit and cambridge were told to hold their course when they started clashing. It was oxford's fault. I found it amusing when the cambridge cox was saying- I wonder if he realised he was being recorded live on bbc?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me as well! I much prefer the Oxford cox - he is class.

By the way, the umpire is a Cambridge graduate who took part in the boat race years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I would have seen both boats to sink because rowing is a minor sport and should not be on national TV apart from druing the Olympics and world championships like the rest of this countries minor sports. The BBC count this as part of the licesnse payers fee when the majority of the country dont give two hoots about it. Events like this should be on sky.

I know you've got something against rowing, but the boat race is most definitely not minor. It is one of the "most watched" sporting events of the year,drawing in many many MILLIONS of viewers. Yes, more than most rugby matches.

I think you should look at the stats first before making sweeping statements like you have. A lot of people do give two hoots (maybe 3!).

ReputationRep:
    The boat race ruled! I thought it was great, I want to see more boat racing on tv

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a bit boring after the first bit to be honest, especially after last year's - which was really exciting. But it was lovely to see Cambridge win even though it's a shame our victory was marred by controversy. However, I should point out that there are ALWAYS clashes in the Boat Race, they always get too close and Cambridge won by six lengths! Come on, even if the clash were Cambridge's fault - which I think it wasn't, since Oxford were in Cambridge's water and admit that - six lengths is a long way to get behind after a clash. It was bad luck that their bowsman came out of his seat, but bad luck is a part of life - they should just move on and get training for the next race, like the Light Blues did last year.

And I thoroughly recommend going down to see it in London - great fun! If you go to Putney bridge there's a video screen so you can see the start live and the watch the rest of the race on there... this is going to be a yearly ritual for me

And finally - Joey! How could you say such a thing? Just go and see the crowds and you'll see how many people care enough about the Boat Race to travel down to London, let alone watch it on TV!

ReputationRep:
    The people who travel to watch it are the die hards. After that rowing has a rather thin fan base, like all other minor sports.
    Trust me, LOADS of people watch it, overseas as well as here. Rowing is the biggest sport at Oxbridge anyway, taking precedence even over the rugby (shock horror) so you'll soon have to get used to it

ReputationRep:
    I do not have a problem with that. If people like rowing thats alright with me. The thing that amuses me is that the amount of people who have never even taken an interest in the sport go to Oxbridge and become experts all of a sudden.

Yeah, but the boaties do it 24/7 so they do tend to know what they're talking about - us mere mortals just pick stuff up. It's hard not to when you're surrounded by them all the time

ReputationRep:
    I love the boat race (and don't have anything whatsoever to do with Oxford or Cambridge) but managed to miss it thanks to some kid wanting to watch Cartoon Network... grrr!! :mad: Switched on just in time to see the Oxford boat finish... personally I think they were a bit hard done by with the clashing (and the seat thing didn't help either).

I agree with, hoofbeat and hornblower about the coxes... Acer is ace!!

ReputationRep:
    That would be because it is on BBC at tea time when most people watch TV. At that time of night the BBC believe it or not get many MILLIONS of viewers anyway. Perhaps you should do some research into the relationship between viewing figures and the time of the day.

Do you seriously believe it would get the same percentage of viewing figures if the event was on Sky per people in the country who actually have sky for example? Would it hell.

Rowing is certainly is a minor sport without a shadow of a doubt.
    trust me, if it was a rugby league or union (esp. league) game on at that time the ratings would go down dramatically

also, hundreds of thousands turned out on the banks to watch it

its been like this every year for a long time, long before you were born kiddo

maybe not everyone holds the same opinion as you in that rugby league is the only proper sport - it is incredibly dull and repetitive to watch for many people, and all the decent players go and play union anyway

ReputationRep:
    Lol you make me laugh boyo. Face facts, rugby is a far more popular sport than rowing. Rowing is but a minor sport. You say that, but were you aware rugby league is the second most watched sport in the country? No, obviously you didn’t. Over 100k used to watch rugby league too in stadiums, but sadly due to restrictions that is no longer possible. I'd also like to point out that Old Trafford for the superleague Grand Final was sold out last season whereas Unions grand final, only 2/3's of Twickers was packed. Furthermore the Australian Grand Final is and always will be a sell out of around 70-80k depending on the size of Stadium Australia. This fixture if the tickets would available would easy be filled with 200k+.

Best players go to Union? Not really. The best players in the world are still League players. They are Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Stacey Jones, Trent Barret, Keiron Cunningham, Andrew Farrell, Adrian Morely and Paul Sculthopre. None of them will be going to Union anytime soon. In fact Cunningham turned down a huge offer from the Welsh RFU and decided to stay in League on a much lower wage. None of the above players can be touched for sheer class by their union counterparts. The high profile league players which have switched (and that’s 6) all went for the money and were nearing the ends of their careers in League/ done everything they could have hoped for:

1. Robinson - won countless medals and honours with Wigan and Great Britain. Nothing more to prove.
    2. Harris - probably the biggest underachiever out of the lot, but still GB international and won a challenge cup.
    3. Rogers - went because his mother asked him to on her sick bed. He would not have gone otherwise. Australian international who won the world cup.
    4. Sailor - Won Aussie Grand Final, State of Origin, won World cup, need I say more.
    5. Tuqiri - State of Origin and Australia.
    6. Paul - Won English Grand Finals and Challenge cups galore, played for New Zealand on many occasions.

All these players with the exception of Tuqiri are all in their late 20's. Like I said, they went for the money and I dont blame them.
    yar

ReputationRep:
    I know, lol. Despite having an offer from cambridge I actually wanted oxford to win because at least they were mostly british unlike cambridge which was largely german and american.
    funny u should say that; i'm in the same boat as you (have an offer from cambs too); kinda felt sorry for the oxford crew...just wanted it to be won fairly and squarely.

i thought it was a big anti-climax. still, well down to the light blues.
    fingers crossed for a better race next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koalapiyo)
    fingers crossed for a better race next year.
    I think that's how everyone feels really. Absolutely no comparison to last year's race (and not just because of the outcome). No-one likes controversial victories. The Cambridge crew rowed well though, and so did we.

ReputationRep:
    I would have seen both boats to sink because rowing is a minor sport and should not be on national TV apart from druing the Olympics and world championships like the rest of this countries minor sports. The BBC count this as part of the licesnse payers fee when the majority of the country dont give two hoots about it. Events like this should be on sky.
    I think every appreciates that its not really about the rowing, the rowing is just the medium which the compeition is run. However it is the only university sport which is pretty close to world class standard. This, plus the tradition make it interesting. Take the varsity rugby matches, they are televised (albeit on Sky) and have soem interest because of the tradition, but there's no standard.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.