The Student Room Group

Passed my test 3 days ago and nervous to drive

I'm getting a car for my 18th next month and I dunno why but I'm ****ting myself about driving on my own... I feel as though I'm a learner and have had dreams of crashing my car and stuff, I passed my test on Friday (3rd test) with 3 minors but feel like I passed it due to a fluke and if I get a car then I'm going to crash or do something stupid.

My driving instructor told me not to waste my money on the pass plus as I've just passed and won't be really motorway driving, and he's qualified to do it, so...

My mam was like if you don't just drive you never will, and will always be nervous, but I'm already like that now... HOW DO I OVERCOME THIS?!!??!
You overcome it by getting in the car and going. :smile: There's genuinely no other way. But you're not the first person to ever feel like this and you won't be the last.

For your first solo drive, try driving a route you're really familiar with, to school or the supermarket or whatever, where you've seen it done (either as a passenger or driven it yourself) and you know all the markings, speed limit changes, etc. I'd recommend doing a journey that has a definite beginning and end. My SO said I should just go out and drive wherever, but having a destination helped me more.

Thousands of people drive on the roads every day and only a small handful have any kind of incident. There's no reason why it should be you, but if it is, that's what insurance is for. But I know what you mean about the passing-on-a-fluke thing - I spent the whole day after passing thinking I would get a phonecall saying they'd made a mistake. :colondollar:
I passed on the 21st of August after only a handful of lessons and feel exactly the same as you. In fact I've told my family that I felt I fluked it because I was really nice to the examiner. I don't drive dangerously, just "clunky." Anyway, I was due to pick up my car from the garage yesterday, first time driving since passing. To say I was nervous is an understatement. But - I did it. I drove for a good 3 or 4 hours yesterday and the nerves dissipated as time went on. And and least your family are enthusiastic about you driving; mine don't want me to drive! Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
i have my license for a year and only got a car last month and for 7 months i have not driven and it did catch up and now im suffering.i drove about 4 times after getting my car and even though i started slow im sure i will drive more often.as you drive more you will see that your nerves go away.i am still nervous but not like before!i still stall.my examiner only gave me like 10 lessons and i passed second time.i also feel scared abou accidents and things because i am not an experienced driver.the only experience i have is with my driving school and that too only gets you ready for the test!i have been driving around with my dad.you should drive around with someone who is patient for a while and then go on your own.i am not quite ready to go alone but if my dad doesnt want to take me anymore i will go alone.my family gets scared when i drive and its kind of an insult especially because driving is so nerve wrecking for some of us and because we try our best to drive!they make me feel like giving up driving all together but on the other hand i need to get from a to b

just push!!!we all are in the same boat and will get better before you know it
Just remember what your instructor told you for the lessons, and put them into practice in your everyday driving. Make sure you always look in your mirrors, leave enough space from the car in front etc. Start driving in the daytime around 10-11am when there aren't many cars on the road to boost your confidence. After 1-2 weeks driving will just feel natural :smile:.
It is quite difficult and I felt the same way to some extent and still do! It took me a while to get used to the car; I learnt in a 1.2L petrol and now have a 1.6L petrol so the difference is huge (I personally find it easier in that sense) but it took a while to get used to the size of the car and just generally being in a car which isnt the one I learnt in. So for a while I only drove with a parent just in case.
Since then I drive on my own much more often but dont like driving on unfamiliar routes but its quite surprising how poorly signposted town centres are though, especially round by me anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Carl1234
I'm getting a car for my 18th next month and I dunno why but I'm ****ting myself about driving on my own... I feel as though I'm a learner and have had dreams of crashing my car and stuff, I passed my test on Friday (3rd test) with 3 minors but feel like I passed it due to a fluke and if I get a car then I'm going to crash or do something stupid.

My driving instructor told me not to waste my money on the pass plus as I've just passed and won't be really motorway driving, and he's qualified to do it, so...

My mam was like if you don't just drive you never will, and will always be nervous, but I'm already like that now... HOW DO I OVERCOME THIS?!!??!

The only way to overcome it is to continue to practice. Just because you can now drive without someone else in the car, it doesn't mean you have to. At the start, I found it really uncomfortable not having anyone else in the car with me - it was reassuring even having non-drivers like my younger sisters with me. You can wean yourself off having anyone with you gradually. I found that having the radio on helps too, as it's background noise.

Do you have younger siblings, which would allow you to do the school run? I took over all the week-day driving and it really helped me. Even if I felt nervous, I didn't have the option not to do it.

Also, motorways aren't that bad. I prefer them to normal roads (unless it's rush hour, of course). You can avoid motorways completely if that's what you wish, or you can start with dual carriageways if you haven't had any experience overtaking at 70mph. My first experience was getting on at one junction and coming off at the next, with my mum in the car - she's a good passenger as she doesn't tell me what to do and tbh, enjoys the novelty of being a passenger so much that she doesn't even pay attention which is a nice compliment on my driving.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hypercaine.
It is quite difficult and I felt the same way to some extent and still do! It took me a while to get used to the car; I learnt in a 1.2L petrol and now have a 1.6L petrol so the difference is huge (I personally find it easier in that sense) but it took a while to get used to the size of the car and just generally being in a car which isnt the one I learnt in. So for a while I only drove with a parent just in case.
Since then I drive on my own much more often but dont like driving on unfamiliar routes but its quite surprising how poorly signposted town centres are though, especially round by me anyway.

:biggrin: I'm like this too. My mum thinks it's just laziness, but I'd rather instinctively know the way than have to continually look for signs. My town centre is also full of all these stupid one-ways and bus lanes which you never notice when you're a pedestrian, and a few 'complex' roundabouts which always confuse non-locals.
Original post by Accalia
:biggrin: I'm like this too. My mum thinks it's just laziness, but I'd rather instinctively know the way than have to continually look for signs. My town centre is also full of all these stupid one-ways and bus lanes which you never notice when you're a pedestrian, and a few 'complex' roundabouts which always confuse non-locals.

Yep exactly the same; you really dont notice as a pedestrian or passenger but when youre driving some sign posts are shocking, especially when theres none and theres no markings on the road.

OP, the only good thing is, when you make a mistake in driving, you learn from it quickly and rarely do it again! :biggrin: I also seem to have the worst luck, I hit every red light, theres always roadworks on my route, I get stuck behind tractors, emergency vehicles, stuck behind buses, etc. and its really frustrating but the best way to look at it is its all experience - ive dealt with them with an experienced driver next to me and now I know how to on my own.
Motorways are easy too, just make sure youre checking your mirrors and dont hog the middle lane, I started off just staying in the left-hand lane which was fine. Just remember slip-roads too which are pretty much the only things you need to worry about, the rest is the same as normal driving; you wouldnt pull out without checking your mirrors/in front of a car approaching quickly at a normal junction so why would you on the motorway? Apart from that theres nothing to worry about! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending