The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Accomodation woes UCL

Hi there!
I am really thinking I want to go to UCL as my firm choice for uni in 2014 to study economics.
One problem I have is I don't know which student residents is best?

I ideally want to be close to the uni, and in self-catered in a large hall.

Can anyone give me any opinions of any halls that fit that description, people that have friends or are staying in halls like that extremely welcome to reply!

I don't know what to do?!

Any photos would be fab too, I'm also partial to Intercollegiate Halls as long as they are in the UCL area

Thanks
Ellena
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Kensington close to UCL
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
(Just to clear things up, at UCL 'halls' = catered accommodation, and there are two halls, Ifor Evans and Ramsy. Self catered accommodation is referred to as student houses.)
When you apply for student accommodation at UCL you don't choose where you stay, instead you choose a priority (eg. low cost, proximity to UCL, en suite). The allocation process is fairly random but will obviously be tailored to how much you agree to pay and your priority. You can apply to live in halls of residence (Ramsay hall and Ifor Evans hall) which are catered. By applying for halls you will not be assigned to any houses, and if you don't specifically apply to halls then you will only be assigned to houses. Again, you have no input on which hall you are put into (Ramsay is very close but Ifor Evans is not within walking distance). I wouldn't recommend intercollegiate halls simply because they are not directly associated with UCL, so they may be some distance from the campus, and won't get other perks that UCL accommodation gets such as UCL connected computer clusters.

This is the web page for UCL student houses
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/student-houses

This is the web page for UCL Halls
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls

Halls are much more expensive than houses (because they include food) and if you don't eat at that set time then you're wasting the money that you've spent on your expensive catered accommodation.
I live in Schafer house, which is one of the biggest houses (369 students live here + some on site staff). It's arranged into flats with up to (and usually) 5 rooms per flat, 2 toilets (1 with a shower) and one kitchen per flat, and the special feature of having a sink in your room. It's about 5-10 minute's walk to the main campus.
Reply 3
Original post by the dan dude
(Just to clear things up, at UCL 'halls' = catered accommodation, and there are two halls, Ifor Evans and Ramsy. Self catered accommodation is referred to as student houses.)
When you apply for student accommodation at UCL you don't choose where you stay, instead you choose a priority (eg. low cost, proximity to UCL, en suite). The allocation process is fairly random but will obviously be tailored to how much you agree to pay and your priority. You can apply to live in halls of residence (Ramsay hall and Ifor Evans hall) which are catered. By applying for halls you will not be assigned to any houses, and if you don't specifically apply to halls then you will only be assigned to houses. Again, you have no input on which hall you are put into (Ramsay is very close but Ifor Evans is not within walking distance). I wouldn't recommend intercollegiate halls simply because they are not directly associated with UCL, so they may be some distance from the campus, and won't get other perks that UCL accommodation gets such as UCL connected computer clusters.

This is the web page for UCL student houses
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/student-houses

This is the web page for UCL Halls
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls

Halls are much more expensive than houses (because they include food) and if you don't eat at that set time then you're wasting the money that you've spent on your expensive catered accommodation.
I live in Schafer house, which is one of the biggest houses (369 students live here + some on site staff). It's arranged into flats with up to (and usually) 5 rooms per flat, 2 toilets (1 with a shower) and one kitchen per flat, and the special feature of having a sink in your room. It's about 5-10 minute's walk to the main campus.

Hi thanks so much! I did not actually know that you didn't get to choose your halls! Therefore, can you just get put into intercollegiate halls?
Schafer is probs the one I want to go to the most
All first year undergraduate students are garunteed UCL accommodation provided that they haven't studied in a university in London before and that they apply by the deadline. If you meet those criteria and apply through UCL's accommodation application then there's no chance of you being put in intercollegiate halls.
Reply 5
Ifor Evans is within walking distance- its 45 minutes away. Problem is you could be making the journey 4 times a day, which is 3 hours of your time wasted
Reply 6
Ramsay allll the way! Its very close to ucl and just generally filled with awesome people!
Reply 7
Sadly OP, you don't get to choose. UCL accommodation is allocated based on just one 'most important factor' (that you get to choose from a short drop-down list on an online form) and whether you want catered or self-catered. I've visited friends in quite a few self-catered accommodations and they're all pretty nice whichever you are allocated - some can be quite far from UCL, though. I'm in catered myself - it's awesome and actually really sociable. More so than the self-catered IMO as you get to meet a much wider range of people here, but then that's just my biased opinion! :smile: P.S. Ramsay (as mentioned above) is a catered UCL hall. It's often got a reputation on TSR as 'the party hall'. Trust me, I'm at UCL, and it's not significantly more fun than any other halls I've seen. Don't believe the Chinese whispers :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by EllyJelly
Sadly OP, you don't get to choose. UCL accommodation is allocated based on just one 'most important factor' (that you get to choose from a short drop-down list on an online form) and whether you want catered or self-catered. I've visited friends in quite a few self-catered accommodations and they're all pretty nice whichever you are allocated - some can be quite far from UCL, though. I'm in catered myself - it's awesome and actually really sociable. More so than the self-catered IMO as you get to meet a much wider range of people here, but then that's just my biased opinion! :smile: P.S. Ramsay (as mentioned above) is a catered UCL hall. It's often got a reputation on TSR as 'the party hall'. Trust me, I'm at UCL, and it's not significantly more fun than any other halls I've seen. Don't believe the Chinese whispers :wink:

Boo no preference! I really want to be in Bloombury! Is Ramsay hall in Camden or Bloomsbury? Out of the people you know in self-catered, who's is the best?
Reply 9
Original post by ellenabethx
Boo no preference! I really want to be in Bloombury! Is Ramsay hall in Camden or Bloomsbury? Out of the people you know in self-catered, who's is the best?
Ramsay Hall is in Bloomsbury, 5-10 minutes walk from UCL campus. I've heard good things about Astor college in the way of closeness to uni/social life, but apparently it's a bit run down. Francis Gardner's a bit further away but in amazing condition and the party life there seems quite lively. Schafer House is also great fun whenever we've been there for flat parties - that's close to UCL, too. Any of those 3 I'd recommend!
I would like to go against what everyone else has been saying - although you cannot state express preferences for what halls you want to get into, you can complete the form in such a manner that makes it very likely for you to end up where you want to be.

Your description of close but self-catered include Schafer, Astor, John Tovell, Arthur Tattersall (maybe there are more look it up!)

Also, to throw in my two pennies into the 'closeness' discussion : Anything longer than a 10 minute walk is not considered close - you will have terrible, terrible luck convincing people to walk even 10 minutes to come to your house party! If you lead an active university life full of society events etc. which involves you getting changed, picking things up etc. a 10 minute walk cumulatively adds up to an hour of walking back and forth everyday.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending