The Student Room Group

Need some help with A level maths

Hi, I'm needing some help with a maths problem. I've tried working it out but I've just gone around in circles. The question is " A formula for calculating the price that a plumber charges is given by P = 18T + 35 where P = price charged in pounds (£) and T = time spent on the job in hours. Work out the plumber's labour costs for 1 1/4 hours." I know it is probably really simple but I'm just having one of those moments. Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well multiply 18 by 1.25 (22.5) then add the 35?
Reply 2
P = 18T + 35

... you are trying to work out P and T is the time, 1 and a quarter = 1.25. I don't understand what you are struggling with :confused:

EDIT: is this seriously an A Level question?
Reply 3
Unless this is (maybe?) D1/D2 this doesn't sound like a A Level question?

Just solve it like any linear algebra question. Substitute in the value for T.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
Unless this is (maybe?) D1/D2 this doesn't sound like a A Level question?

Just solve it like any linear algebra question. Substitute in the value for T.

This doesn't even seem like D1. I'm thinking it's a GCSE question!
Reply 5
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
This doesn't even seem like D1. I'm thinking it's a GCSE question!

It might be a question from a D1 textbook I was thinking, one of the ones where they give you a load of easy questions before starting on the A Level work.

GCSE is more likely though tbf
Reply 6
Yes this seriously is an A level question!! And for someone who left school 24 years ago it's taking me a while to get back into the swing of things! So sorry to have bothered you but I thought this was a place to get help!!
Reply 7
Original post by Nettie73
Yes this seriously is an A level question!! And for someone who left school 24 years ago it's taking me a while to get back into the swing of things! So sorry to have bothered you but I thought this was a place to get help!!

Just for curiosity, what module is it from?

Everyone that posted gave you the method for getting the answer.
Reply 8
Original post by alow
It might be a question from a D1 textbook I was thinking, one of the ones where they give you a load of easy questions before starting on the A Level work.

GCSE is more likely though tbf

I guess! I know that my college do a couple of weeks of A-A* GCSE stuff with A Level maths at the start of the year to get them up to scratch but they don't bother with the double maths classes so I didn't think about that! :smile:
Reply 9

It's no problem. You weren't being an annoyance. I am just confused about what module you would get this question in. If you have any other questions just post here again and I'm sure one of us or someone else will come and help! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I guess! I know that my college do a couple of weeks of A-A* GCSE stuff with A Level maths at the start of the year to get them up to scratch but they don't bother with the double maths classes so I didn't think about that! :smile:

The college I went to did that. Before we started C1 we did about a week of the harder GCSE topics.
Reply 11
Ah see now you're just making me feel old - I'm a dinosaur so pre GCSE's. I know I'm guilty for over thinking the questions sometimes but they seem too easy for someone who flunked maths at school. Which is why I start to doubt I've got the answer right.
Reply 12
This kind of response "This doesn't even seem like D1. I'm thinking it's a GCSE question!" does not do a lot for the confidence of people asking questions and I can only apologise.

For the most part, this is a very helpful forum where most people can remember that they too found things hard to learn that might look straightforward to them now.

Do you have an adequate answer to your original question?
Reply 13
Yes I do have an adequate answer thank you. But dubious about posting any more 'easy' problems. Thank you for your help :smile:
Yes I do have an adequate answer thank you. But dubious about posting any more 'easy' problems. Thank you for your help :smile:

There is no reason not to post "easy" problems

But setting a context helps

Your original post simply listed this as an A Level question - which it isn't

Once you explained that you are returning to study later in life it became apparent that you were probably working through some pre-A Level material to get your algebra up to scratch

No-one has been rude to you - they simply expressed surprise based on your OP and - everyone who posted did give you a solution
Reply 15
As far as I am aware, we are not working through any pre A level algebra - or at least it has never been mentioned. All I know is, I am doing A level maths. And the questions I have on my sheet are from a past A level paper. Yes maybe I could've written the question differently but I went off what I had on my sheet. But at the same time some people who reply to the posts have to realise that just because they are good at maths it doesn't mean the OP is.
As far as I am aware, we are not working through any pre A level algebra - or at least it has never been mentioned. All I know is, I am doing A level maths. And the questions I have on my sheet are from a past A level paper. Yes maybe I could've written the question differently but I went off what I had on my sheet. But at the same time some people who reply to the posts have to realise that just because they are good at maths it doesn't mean the OP is.

What exam board is the past paper? What module/unit name does it have on the paper?
Reply 17

Again, if you do have any other questions you need help with then just let us know. :smile:
I think TenOfThem hit the nail on the head. I was just a little confused! :colondollar:

It's quite normal for Colleges and Sixth Forms to go over the more difficult GCSE questions at the start of the year of A Level Mathematics to get everyone up to the same level which is definitely not a bad thing for someone who has not been in the education system for some time. It is entirely possible that the question set is from a GCSE past paper. It does seem unlikely that it is an AS question, to be honest, though I might be wrong :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
This is a D-C grade question similar to those on a Foundation GCSE paper.
Who cares? At the end of the day we have an adult learner who wants to better themselves and has come back to study after a long break.
The forum is designed to give help rather than judge and it's often hard for students to pinpoint the level of study of a given question. Many such questions are used for 'bridging exercises' on courses and in books.
Its very easy to judge from behind a computer screen yet in reality most of us ourselves here would be liable to ask 'naive' questions if we were posting on forums to do with something new.
Heck I am a new Dalmatian owner and I asked questions that seemed trivial before getting on on dog forums.
We all start somewhere....well all of us who want to be better.
Bit of a rant but I am all for promoting lifelong learning. :smile:
Reply 19
Ok guys, I really do appreciate the help. It's not easy going back into full time education, and studying a subject I don't really enjoy is proving to be a challenge. But I love a challenge ;-) I will probably post another question tomorrow lol. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest