The Student Room Group

Solving this inequality?

Solve this inequality for x:
(3+x)(6-x)<=0

Would I be right in saying that x=-3 or 6. Therefore, I would have said -3<=x<=6 but apparently that's wrong
Reply 1
Original post by bobbricks
(3+x)(6-x)<=0

Would I be right in saying that x=-3 or 6. Therefore, I would have said -3<=x<=6 but apparently that's wrong

What was your method in deciding this? or did you just go with this because it seemed right?

There are two methods you can go with, either produce a sketch or produce a sign diagram. I prefer the latter. I can explain these to you if don't know what they are.
Reply 2
Original post by Jarred
What was your method in deciding this? or did you just go with this because it seemed right?

There are two methods you can go with, either produce a sketch or produce a sign diagram. I prefer the latter. I can explain these to you if don't know what they are.

I drew a sketch and worked out that x had to be more than -3 and less than 6 for the y values to be less than 0...so I ended up with this: -3<=x<=6

Is that what you got?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I drew a sketch and worked out that x had to be more than -6 and less than 3 for the y values to be less than 0...so I ended up with this: -3<=x<=6

Is that what you got?

Was your sketch the wrong way up? Remember this quadratic has a negative x^2 term.
Reply 4
Original post by james22
Was your sketch the wrong way up? Remember this quadratic has a negative x^2 term.

Ah...that explains it (I did the sketch the positive way up :redface: ) Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
I drew a sketch and worked out that x had to be more than -3 and less than 6 for the y values to be less than 0...so I ended up with this: -3<=x<=6

Is that what you got?

Correct method but the answer isn't quite there. As James suggested, your sketch could be the wrong way up. The function has a negative gradient if you expand it out, so it needs to be upside down to an ordinary quadratic.
Reply 6
Original post by james22

Original post by Jarred
Correct method but the answer isn't quite there. As James suggested, your sketch could be the wrong way up. The function has a negative gradient if you expand it out, so it needs to be upside down to an ordinary quadratic.

I've managed to get there thanks :biggrin:
(3+x)(6-x)<=0
This is slightly off topic but if I were to expand out the brackets I would get: -x2+3x-18<=0 which is equal to x2-3x+18>=0 ...However, that doesn't factorise- why?
Reply 7
I've managed to get there thanks :biggrin:
(3+x)(6-x)<=0
This is slightly off topic but if I were to expand out the brackets I would get: -x2+3x-18<=0 which is equal to x2-3x+18>=0 ...However, that doesn't factorise- why?

You expanded it wrong, should be +18 not -18.
Reply 8
(3+x)(6-x)<=0

if (3 - x)(6 - x) <=0

this is only possible when
case 1. (3 - x) is -ve and (6 - x) is +ve, because -ve x +ve = -ve
case 2. (3 - x) is +ve and (6 - x) is -ve, because -ve x +ve = -ve

case 1.
3 - x <= 0 => x >= 3,
6 - x > = 0 => x =< 6

so, 3 =< x =< 6

similarly solve case 2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Ah, thanks guys, 10pm is certainly not the time to do maths! :tongue: