The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AKell17
Got an A* in my Unit 4 mock :biggrin:
I'm finding the conclusion quite difficult to add marks to... I think it's because I usually have to rush it because Analysis took up a lot of time!

Well done :smile: I got an A for my Unit 3 mock but was only on water conflicts and biodiversity. I'm writing my first report and its due on Monday
Reply 21
Original post by lala121
Well done :smile: I got an A for my Unit 3 mock but was only on water conflicts and biodiversity. I'm writing my first report and its due on Monday

I did a report at home and got a B... A mock in timed conditions with a plan and summary sheet and got a C... And this one in proper exam conditions!
Reply 22
Original post by AKell17
I did a report at home and got a B... A mock in timed conditions with a plan and summary sheet and got a C... And this one in proper exam conditions!

I really just need B's in unit 3 and 4 to get an A overall. This stupit report soo annoying :mad::angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by lala121
I really just need B's in unit 3 and 4 to get an A overall. This stupit report soo annoying :mad::angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the degree courses are gonna be pretty full of essays so practice is good :biggrin:
Reply 24
Hey!! Just finished this topic :smile: and wrote my first ever report at home, taking me like 3 hours - using my notes :frown: Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for the exam??
Reply 25
Original post by lala121
Hey!! Just finished this topic :smile: and wrote my first ever report at home, taking me like 3 hours - using my notes :frown: Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for the exam??

Mocks, mocks, mocks!

What my college has done is let us get used to it incrementally...
First we did a report at home, then in timed conditions with a pre-made plan and information sheet, then a full-on mock exam... It obviously worked because I got a C, then a B, then an A*!
Reply 26
Original post by AKell17
Mocks, mocks, mocks!

First we did a report at home, then in timed conditions with a pre-made plan and information sheet, then a full-on mock exam... It obviously worked because I got a C, then a B, then an A*!

That great, but I was i'm looking for advice on like content and case study revision because I dont know where to start and our teacher has not exactly helped us :frown: I wished I lived outside of London. Schools outside seem better :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 27
Original post by lala121
That great, but I was i'm looking for advice on like content and case study revision because I dont know where to start and our teacher has not exactly helped us :frown: I wished I lived outside of London. Schools outside seem better :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

I gradually condensed case studies really... My original information sheets were two pages long and I squashed them into a page of bullet points each, with a source list of the bottom :smile:
By condensing them I found each bullet point reminded me of the block of information I had condensed it from
anyone doing the world and cultural diversity??
I'm doing tectonic hazards with these case studies so far,

Earthquakes - Haiti (LEDC)
Kobe (MEDC)
L'AQuila (MEDC)
Kashmir (LEDC)

Volcanoes - Eyjafjallajokull (MEDC)
Nyiragongo (LEDC)
Mount St Helens (MEDC)
Monsterrat (LEDC)

Tsunami's - Boxing Day (LEDC)
Japan (MEDC)

Not sure if I will need any more for Tsunami's, I think I will do three earthquakes and volcanoes and one tsunami in major detail and the rest on a summary type sheet?? :frown: This seems like the scariest unit yet haha
Reply 30
Original post by geeeeorgia
I'm doing tectonic hazards with these case studies so far,

Earthquakes - Haiti (LEDC)
Kobe (MEDC)
L'AQuila (MEDC)
Kashmir (LEDC)

Volcanoes - Eyjafjallajokull (MEDC)
Nyiragongo (LEDC)
Mount St Helens (MEDC)
Monsterrat (LEDC)

Tsunami's - Boxing Day (LEDC)
Japan (MEDC)

Not sure if I will need any more for Tsunami's, I think I will do three earthquakes and volcanoes and one tsunami in major detail and the rest on a summary type sheet?? :frown: This seems like the scariest unit yet haha

Some smaller tsunami studies are Java and Samoa :smile: Java's tsunami was 2009 (I think) and I'm pretty sure it used the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System set up after the Boxing Day tsunami :smile:

We were told 4 for each... But tbh I'll probably re-do half my research to better suit the pre-release when it comes out
Original post by AKell17
Mocks, mocks, mocks!

congats on ur A*.How did u structure ur report .Also did u put oin brackets the source of the casestudy,statistic etc. after static it?
Reply 32
Original post by peter qwert
congats on ur A*.How did u structure ur report .Also did u put oin brackets the source of the casestudy,statistic etc. after static it?

Generally, in a paragraph, I'd make a point (for example economic development limits capacity to cope) and back it up with one or two case studies... At the end of a paragraph I'd write all the sources that I'd used in brackets! That way sources aren't breaking up the writing too much

Keeping references and good structure going is a really easy way to up your grade: even if you were writing utter crap a good methodology, references and grammar can get you 25/70 marks
We have just started tectonics Unit 4.

I've been set this question:
'Explore the extent to which tectonic activity has a distinctive geography ans is spatially concentrated in hotspots'

Please help, have no idea where to begin :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by Emilyannhill
We have just started tectonics Unit 4.

I've been set this question:
'Explore the extent to which tectonic activity has a distinctive geography ans is spatially concentrated in hotspots'

Please help, have no idea where to begin :frown:

Ermmm... Could you think about the effect tectonic activity has on development? For example in Japan, they obviously developed with a focus on making their buildings aseismic...
Look at the physical geography e.g. the features left behind by earthquakes/volcanoes/tsunami (visible faults, arable land, deposited seafloor sediment)
On the other side you could say that it isn't distinctive as some of the characteristics can form for other reasons (deposited sea sediment may just be from high tides/floods)

As for hotspots, you could look at areas that recieve multiple tectonic hazards (Japan has had earthquakes and tsunami for examples) but also examine the fact that tectonic activity can move (like earthquakes along the North Anatolian Fault)

This is all off the top of my head so sorry if it's not great and sorry if it's utter nonsense xD
Original post by AKell17
Well the degree courses are gonna be pretty full of essays so practice is good :biggrin:

lol degree level geography. you might as well do furniture studies at london met
Reply 36
Original post by Yung_ramanujan
lol degree level geography. you might as well do furniture studies at london met

Why is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Yung_ramanujan

Drumming up awareness for your course?
Original post by AKell17
Drumming up awareness for your course?

naa i think id pick a better cohort to do that with.... maybe ill have a look at the oxford brookes/sheffield hallam science departments
No, thank you that has been a real help!!! just needed a starting place hahahaha

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending