The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="muzika;48129311"]
Original post by M-Dog

All my work is hand written so I dont know, I will pm you when I'll scan it as I will be sending to my geo teacher to mark it tomorrow

Could you send it to me as well please? I'll pm you my email address! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone send me a model report please? would like to see how people have structured their reports:smile:
Reply 382
Original post by emily1818
thanks!
Iceland was 2010. The aviation industry is now experimenting with an infrared senor which will be attached to all planes and allow them to detect and avoid volcanic ash clouds. (geo factsheet no. 264, written by Sally Garrington)

While that's pretty cool, I'm still not using it as a case study :tongue:
does anyone have an example of a volcano that was poorly managed?
Hi guys, about to make revision case study notes for tectonics.

I'm going to include -

Magnitude/Location (for secondary)
Brief overview of what happened
Impacts (short term)
Impacts (Long term)
Response (before)
Response (during)
Response (after)
evaluation of response

Not sure how much information to include prior to the magnitude; do i need info about the GDP, population, tectonic situation (i.e explanation of the causes for that specific event) etc? and is there anything else i should probably include?
Reply 385
Original post by Nomboog
Is anybody here doing Cold Environments? How are you structuring your report? I have a feeling the question they give us will be a tough one:frown:

Yeah I am... I'm really annoyed our teachers chose this option, it's probably the most difficult one and I have the crap we have to learn. But i reckon they will ask us: what is the role climatic and geomorphological processes in the creation of glacial and periglacial landscapes (our mock title was basically that). For the structure I'm going to split the analysis part into 2: glacial landscapes- climatic and geomorphological factors and the second part: periglacial landscapes- climatic and geomorphological factors. I'm really dreading the exam though due to my hate of this topic....
How are you preparing and structuring the report
Reply 386
Right then, today for some revision I have already written out all I know about the case studies I am using along with the important information and references.
Now I am going to write out indiviudal sections of my report in the allicated time I have given myself.

I get 1hr 53m (113 minutes)

Intro: 20 Mins
Research + Methodology: 10 Mins
Analysis: 1 Hr
Conclusion: 20 Mins

Or around that.
Anyone have a list of potential questions for tectonic hazards?
Reply 388
Is it worth having mini case studies with just one or two facts or figures just to get to the point? I have 3 detailed-ish case studies and quite a few mini ones with, like I said, just one or two facts/figures.
Original post by 80286
Am I the only one who is nervous for this paper?

So scared I won't be able to answer the question when I see it :'(
Original post by QPRboy
Is it worth having mini case studies with just one or two facts or figures just to get to the point? I have 3 detailed-ish case studies and quite a few mini ones with, like I said, just one or two facts/figures.

Most of mine are mini, because the focus is only on the management. I am hoping this will be okay
If anyone is doing Health and Pollution we've been given several potential questions, these obviously aren't official but this is what my teacher suggested:

Assess the extent to which variations in health risk can be related to human and physical factors.

Assess the extent to which the severity of health risk varies in different locations.

Explain why the causes of current health risks in some locations are more complex than others.

The increase in health risks globally is caused more by human factors than physical factors. Discuss.

Evaluate the significance of humans and physical factors in variations of health risks between and within countries.
Reply 392
Guys for this question

" Explain why a range of strategies are required to manage primary and secondary tectonic hazards. "

Would it be ok to talk about how the actual physical processes and features affect management such as comparing a volcano to an earthquake to a tsunami.

But also talk about how other factors influence different management such as...

- economic development
- predictability of the hazard
- Age of the region the hazard is affecting such as L'Aquila
- and the knowledge/ education people have about the hazards.

Original post by swind96
does anyone have an example of a volcano that was poorly managed?

Nyiragongo, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2002
The eruption could easily have been predicted but civil war and poverty meant no action was taken. You could google it and find out a bit more if you want to.
http://iugg-georisk.org/presentations/pdf/Wafula_volcano_Africa.pdf - here's a source. You'll need to refer to a source in the exam, so refer to it as "Wafula et al".

Merapi, Indonesia, 2010
The eruption was predicted by measuring inflation and seismic activity on the volcano. An exclusion zone was set up and people were evacuated.
This was managed, but it could have been managed better. The exclusion zone changed very quickly, with restrictions lifted in some areas but then reimposed, leading to confusion, as opposed to maintaining an exclusion zone until they were sure it was safe. Some stayed behind on farms as well.

This information was from two sites - the Global Volcanism Program and the Jakarta post. The GVP has technical problems right now, but I'll link to it later.
The Jakarta post articles talk about the exclusion zones changing. It's an Indonesian news source so it talked about the eruption in more detail than any western news organisations did - perhaps a good point to mention in methodology?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 394
How many case studies do you actually need for the tectonic essay?
Is anyone structuring their tectonics report by response type - ie modifying loss, vulnerability and event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 396
Do we have to evaluate our sources throughout the report, or will a methodology paragraph/table inbetween the introduction with a brief overview of why you chose the case studies you did and some comments on reliability and bias be enough? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ExamTime17
Is anyone structuring their tectonics report by response type - ie modifying loss, vulnerability and event?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I will be! Depends on the question tbh.
Original post by eat146
How many case studies do you actually need for the tectonic essay?

6 main ones and maybe 9 if you can, like 3 additional ones. Can't help but wonder what the Q will be!!
Original post by elissamerchant
Anyone have a list of potential questions for tectonic hazards?

To what extent do strategies used to manage tectonic hazards vary before, during and after the event?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending