The Student Room Group

Year abroad in my SECOND year?!

I've just started at Uni of Leeds doing Russian, and we do our year abroad in our second year, and I can't stop stressing out about it (cue people calling me a melt; "chill out fresher" blah blah blah i hate you all). I know it's early days but it's literally all I can think about. Has anyone done this? I don't see how it is beneficial in any way.... I mean I guess you get to grasp the language earlier on but still - I'll have just settled into a new place and then suddenly I'm off to Moscow for a YEAR, all the friends i would have made will all move into houses without me and probably forget about me by the time I'm back!!

When I applied to Leeds I thought it was an option to go in your second year, but it's not and I can't back out now.

HELP A SISTA OUT PLS I NEED PEACE AND COMFORT
I understand being nervous about going in a years time, but it will be okay! There are others that are probably feeling the same way. Have you talked with others on your course? Maybe older students. And as for your friends, you'll be away from them for a year anyway, either next year or the one after. If they're really your friends, they won't forget you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wizzy2646
I've just started at Uni of Leeds doing Russian, and we do our year abroad in our second year, and I can't stop stressing out about it (cue people calling me a melt; "chill out fresher" blah blah blah i hate you all). I know it's early days but it's literally all I can think about. Has anyone done this? I don't see how it is beneficial in any way.... I mean I guess you get to grasp the language earlier on but still - I'll have just settled into a new place and then suddenly I'm off to Moscow for a YEAR, all the friends i would have made will all move into houses without me and probably forget about me by the time I'm back!!

When I applied to Leeds I thought it was an option to go in your second year, but it's not and I can't back out now.

I understand how you feel. I do Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield and Chinese Studies studies studies go on their year abroad in 2nd year, meaning I'm on my year abroad now. Yes, it is nerve-wracking, but you get used to it. At Sheffield at least, we were given plenty of information about the year abroad before hand so we weren't completely left in the lurch. I assume Leeds will do the same, especially with things such as visas and medicals.

I find it is quite beneficial. I've only been in China a month, but I'm getting more confident speaking Chinese already.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but on the Leeds site, it does state that you go abroad in 2nd year as part of the course. A year abroad is an essential part of any language course and cannot be missed.
Reply 3
Original post by wizzy2646
I'm off to Moscow for a YEAR, all the friends i would have made will all move into houses without me and probably forget about me by the time I'm back!!

Moscow? You're welcome. :wink: If you have Skype I may tell you in details about Moscow. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest