The Student Room Group

Epq urgent help

Hey I am doing my A2s in Maths, FM,Chemistry and Physics and I need to know very soon if I want to do EPQ.

I want to do an Economics degree which is what I would base my EPQ on.

And so I need yo know if I should do it or not, will it be copable with the workload?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
bump
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Destiel
Original post by Will95206
[QUOTE=Destiel

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey anyone please
1) Beyond only 'Economics', do you know what you'd do it on?
2) Do you know enough about Economics to manage it?
3) (Given your A-level choices and as well the word 'copable') can you write an essay?
Reply 6
EPQs do require a lot of work, it is possible to do one with 4 A2s but you will probably have to put more than several weekends to one side solely for EPQ study.
The longest part involved in creating an EPQ is the research involved (I did mine over the summer holidays and was only doing 3 A2s) but if you truly enjoy your subject this time should just fly by and you won't even notice.
On another note, EPQs are due around April (at least AQA EPQs), so there is a whole extra 1-2 months before your exams start after that - unless you have exams in May. If you can complete your EPQ early then you should still have plenty of time to study for your exams.
If you truly want to do it, go for it, finishing an EPQ is a very rewarding experience, and some universities - like Bristol - may lower their grade boundaries for you if you do exceptionally well, and if the university you apply for does interviews - or even if they don't - they are a very good opportunity to show your enthusiasm for the subject.:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
1) Beyond only 'Economics', do you know what you'd do it on?
2) Do you know enough about Economics to manage it?
3) (Given your A-level choices and as well the word 'copable') can you write an essay?

1) Probably economics and management - I want to do investment banking as a job after uni
2) I have resources and people that could help me out
3) Yes I'm accomplished in that. I've done alright in English in GCSE so I am fairly confident in my ability to construe an essay.
Original post by Kiwi789
EPQs do require a lot of work, it is possible to do one with 4 A2s but you will probably have to put more than several weekends to one side solely for EPQ study.
The longest part involved in creating an EPQ is the research involved (I did mine over the summer holidays and was only doing 3 A2s) but if you truly enjoy your subject this time should just fly by and you won't even notice.
On another note, EPQs are due around April (at least AQA EPQs), so there is a whole extra 1-2 months before your exams start after that - unless you have exams in May. If you can complete your EPQ early then you should still have plenty of time to study for your exams.
If you truly want to do it, go for it, finishing an EPQ is a very rewarding experience, and some universities - like Bristol - may lower their grade boundaries for you if you do exceptionally well, and if the university you apply for does interviews - or even if they don't - they are a very good opportunity to show your enthusiasm for the subject.:biggrin:

Thnx for the reply. Really helpful and insightful will rep you. Can a teacher mark the epq on the way to help improve it?

Honestly this is probably the only extra curic thing I havent done.

I will ask my teacher if I can do it. But thanks.

And how difficult is it to attain an A* in the EPQ.

Regards

Destiel
Original post by Destiel <3
1) Probably economics and management - I want to do investment banking as a job after uni
2) I have resources and people that could help me out
3) Yes I'm accomplished in that. I've done alright in English in GCSE so I am fairly confident in my ability to construe an essay.

1) That's not a thing, is it. I invited you to narrow it down not widen it out.
2) Alright (perhaps).
3) If your construficational capacities are as you suggest, you'd seem golden.

Sensibly, you could make a total *******s of this, and have the time spent on it negatively affect your performance in your A-levels, if you don't have some clear notion of what you'll write about. You're already at a small disadvantage given that many or most of the EPQs seen in Economics will be completed by students who are as well doing the A-level.
Reply 10
Original post by Destiel <3
Thnx for the reply. Really helpful and insightful will rep you. Can a teacher mark the epq on the way to help improve it?

Honestly this is probably the only extra curic thing I havent done.

I will ask my teacher if I can do it. But thanks.

And how difficult is it to attain an A* in the EPQ.

Regards

Destiel

A teacher can go over the EPQ and comment on what needs improving, which is very useful as it gives you an overall picture on how you are doing. Though it can also be helpful if you have several people look over it, like friends and family.

As for an A*, I don't think it's horribly hard, I somehow got full marks - still have no idea why - the advice I would give is just remember to keep all yours work logs & paperwork up-to-date, really show your knowledge & enthusiasm during the EPQ presentation, and write a strong argument backed up with a lot of evidence in your essay. I think these are the main 3 things you are marked on (for AQA anyway).

One thing I did was to go over some examples of past EPQs with A*/A grades, print them off and then label each section with what the student is doing with what they say (not what they are actually saying, the subject doesn't matter) and this can help give an idea to the layout/order you might wish to use - though as this is your own essay of course you can really choose any layout you want.

:smile:
Original post by Kiwi789
A teacher can go over the EPQ and comment on what needs improving, which is very useful as it gives you an overall picture on how you are doing. Though it can also be helpful if you have several people look over it, like friends and family.

As for an A*, I don't think it's horribly hard, I somehow got full marks - still have no idea why - the advice I would give is just remember to keep all yours work logs & paperwork up-to-date, really show your knowledge & enthusiasm during the EPQ presentation, and write a strong argument backed up with a lot of evidence in your essay. I think these are the main 3 things you are marked on (for AQA anyway).

One thing I did was to go over some examples of past EPQs with A*/A grades, print them off and then label each section with what the student is doing with what they say (not what they are actually saying, the subject doesn't matter) and this can help give an idea to the layout/order you might wish to use - though as this is your own essay of course you can really choose any layout you want.

:smile:

Thank you very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest