The Student Room Group

Junk food makes me feel depressed, but I can't say no?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
On the last shop Dad bought

6 tarts (low protein high fat, but rhis doesn't natter to him because he thinks normally about food)
1 pie (salmon and broxolli)
Ham slices
3 pizzas
rwady meal chicken casserole
jam sponge pudding
granola
Custard

Dad's bloods came back with high cholesterol a couple of years ago but he doesn't care
not to say he is a bad role model for healthy eating but I think he dialikea me thinkibg 'like an athlete' qhich inckudes keeping slim. For example qhen I say I want to boost my fitness he says 'we already know you're super fit' NO I'M NOT

I know what this is about he basically seea my trying to get fit/in shape/ok yes maybe cut as a sign of low self esteem
(edited 10 years ago)
Some of the methods will work for some, and not others. In the long term, even for the those who find they work, eventually may succumb.

My advice is that it's a lifestyle choice. It's not a diet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's not about the 30 days to leanness, it's about being consistent month after month, year after year.

The biggest secret that I can give you is to burn the fat, and to feed the muscle (also the title of a popular e-book which I recommend downloading). By this I mean; exercise. When you start exercises, yes you are burning fat, but over time your body will start telling you what it wants and what it needs. If you sit on the sofa all day, it will crave sugar and junk food. If you're exercising consistently (read, this will not come in the first month, it's a slow psychological change), you will stop desiring the junk food.

In fact the thought of it, and sight of it in the supermarket, will make you queasy. Because you will not want to give up all the hard work and effort you have put into the gym. You will look at the results in the mirror, and realise that a candy bar just isn't worth losing all of that. And, as above, it will fail to satiate your body like it used to. This is one of the few ways to really change your tastes. Remember when you were a kid and you had a particular craving, and now you don't - i.e. vegetables used to taste really disgusting, now they perhaps bearable? Now you like, for example, the taste of olives?

The more sophisticated advice is to have a cheat meal once a week and eat whatever you want. Alongside this, you may choose to do carb cycling and carb tapering, basically restricting your carbs, for instance, for three days and then having a high carb day, then repeating. That's an advanced method. Then there's intermittent fasting - there isn't a huge amount of evidence of it, it mostly comes down to preference in how you like to eat and restricting your calories.
Reply 42
Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
Some of the methods will work for some, and not others. In the long term, even for the those who find they work, eventually may succumb.

My advice is that it's a lifestyle choice. It's not a diet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's not about the 30 days to leanness, it's about being consistent month after month, year after year.

The biggest secret that I can give you is to burn the fat, and to feed the muscle (also the title of a popular e-book which I recommend downloading). By this I mean; exercise. When you start exercises, yes you are burning fat, but over time your body will start telling you what it wants and what it needs. If you sit on the sofa all day, it will crave sugar and junk food. If you're exercising consistently (read, this will not come in the first month, it's a slow psychological change), you will stop desiring the junk food.

In fact the thought of it, and sight of it in the supermarket, will make you queasy. Because you will not want to give up all the hard work and effort you have put into the gym. You will look at the results in the mirror, and realise that a candy bar just isn't worth losing all of that. And, as above, it will fail to satiate your body like it used to. This is one of the few ways to really change your tastes. Remember when you were a kid and you had a particular craving, and now you don't - i.e. vegetables used to taste really disgusting, now they perhaps bearable? Now you like, for example, the taste of olives?

The more sophisticated advice is to have a cheat meal once a week and eat whatever you want. Alongside this, you may choose to do carb cycling and carb tapering, basically restricting your carbs, for instance, for three days and then having a high carb day, then repeating. That's an advanced method. Then there's intermittent fasting - there isn't a huge amount of evidence of it, it mostly comes down to preference in how you like to eat and restricting your calories.

Original post by TheOneTrueEvian

No mate I think my parents will onky be happy if I'm fat
i KNOW I won't onl
ly be happy if I'm eipped or whatever but I am annoyed that

And they don't want nw to think like that because that is WD talk
I think they prwfer it if I was binge eating ak secretly I am and jt's depressibg me but J nust mame them happy
You say that he thinks normally about food but that shopping basket is nutritionally unbalanced and unhealthy. He needs to be encouraging you to eat 5 a day and there isn't one vegetable in there. That quiche is basically another giant tart.
Have you got a job or a social life? Why don't you eat some of your meals out or come back late so that you cook your own meal? Stir fry is easy with rice or noodles. I'm sure you could get a student cookbook so that you can cook your own stuff. I don't mean to be mean but you need to develop a backbone and live for yourself.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Eveiebaby
You say that he thinks normally about food but that shopping basket is nutritionally unbalanced and unhealthy. He needs to be encouraging you to eat 5 a day and there isn't one vegetable in there. That quiche is basically another giant tart.
Have you got a job or a social life? Why don't you eat some of your meals out or come back late so that you cook your own meal? Stir fry is easy with rice or noodles. I'm sure you could get a student cookbook so that you can cook your own stuff. I don't mean to be mean but you need to develop a backbone and live for yourself.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry…
yesterday we had turkey curry with rice, veg medley and coconut milk
today it's a chicken and chorizo tart with new potatoes and mix veg
Tuesday night I can't remember :tongue:
Monday I was on campus, I went to a veggie bar with a mate and had leek and cheese quiche, with band cake :biggrin:
Sunday chicken and mushroom pie slice, mash n veg
night before pie chips n veg

mix veg included a range of: onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, asparagus, cauliflower, sprouts, broccoli, etc.
there's baked beans, stir-fry and salad in the cupboard
There's also a range of fruit: atm banana, apple, pear, nectarine, clementines and strawberries.
Other times there may be blueberries, raspberries, blackberries

more pies than I'd like perhaps but not nearly as bad as I described earlier

Sometimes you need to beware what I describe. If I'm anxious and believe something's going to happen, I'll filter out evidence contradicting it-and that will probably be true in the way I describe the event too!
Confirmation bias, I think it's called?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest