The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cobra01977
Not unless you hate crap food, which is full of E numbersand too much of all sorts that are bad for you, and love cooking

I love cooking, and make an effort every night actually. My claim to fame is that I haven't had a microwave meal since i've been at Uni! If a new person comes into our flat i'm introduced as the 'dude who's always cooking' :smile:

My point was that you probably won't have much need for recipies, as you will be working/having fun. Its perhaps more about improvisation about what you have in the kitchen etc. etc.
Reply 21
kokopops
booooooooooringggggggg

fruit salad can be a most intersting dish, theres loadsa interesting fruits out threre
jammyd
I love cooking, and make an effort every night actually. My claim to fame is that I haven't had a microwave meal since i've been at Uni! If a new person comes into our flat i'm introduced as the 'dude who's always cooking' :smile:

My point was that you probably won't have much need for recipies, as you will be working/having fun. Its perhaps more about improvisation about what you have in the kitchen etc. etc.

good man - i enjoy cooking too - nothing more fun to do in a kitchen ... well ... maybe not :wink: but cooking is great otherwise - truly nice
Reply 23
Chicken and Oyster Mushroom Stir-Fry

Ingredients
4 x 15ml spoons sesame oil
300g chicken cut into strips
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2cm piece root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
125g oyster mushrooms, wiped
200g pack egg noodles
2 carrots, cut into batons
150g mange tout cut into strips
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, deseeded and cut into batons
5ml spoon fish sauce
2 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thin slices
1 lime
15ml spoon toasted sesame seeds

Method
Heat 2 x 15ml spoons of sesame oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot, add the chicken and cook for 15 minutes or until tender and brown, remove and put to one side.

Add the remaining oil to the wok and fry garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.

Add the mushrooms and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile cook the noodles as per pack instructions, drain reserving 300ml of the cooking liquid.

Place wok over a high heat and add the carrots, mange tout and red pepper together with the chicken.

Finally add the noddles tossing quickly together with the pepper juices and ½ of the cooking liquid. Cook for a further 30-40 seconds and season with the fish sauce.

Transfer contents onto a serving plate, sprinkle with the spring onions, squeeze over the juice of 1 lime and finish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
cobra01977
fruit salad can be a most intersting dish, theres loadsa interesting fruits out threre

for instance i am eating a papaya as you read this :cool:
Reply 25
jammyd

I like improvisation, but what i think of as improvisation is very different to what my friends do, to my friends it is throw alsorts of crap in a frying pan and call it chinese i would do say joint of lamb stuffed with sumthing unusual
I am saving the link to this thread as a favourite!
Reply 27
Kurdt Morello
for instance i am eating a papaya as you read this :cool:

I bow to you sir, sumone who actually eats real food, rarther than sum 'Mcminis'
Reply 28
cobra01977
I bow to you sir, sumone who actually eats real food, rarther than sum 'Mcminis'

or other crap fast food
cobra01977
I like improvisation, but what i think of as improvisation is very different to what my friends do, to my friends it is throw alsorts of crap in a frying pan and call it chinese i would do say joint of lamb stuffed with sumthing unusual

tis the way in uni - i am a fruitarian so i dont cook for myself - but when i cook i use all sorts of spices and a little sunflower oil to cook onions garlic and ginger and some chillies - which can be added to boiling lentils - serve with rice - nice :smile:
cobra01977

why thank you my friend - there arent many of us around - its all down to my parents i think
Reply 31
Kurdt Morello
tis the way in uni - i am a fruitarian so i dont cook for myself - but when i cook i use all sorts of spices and a little sunflower oil to cook onions garlic and ginger and some chillies - which can be added to boiling lentils - serve with rice - nice :smile:

sounds nice, i dont usually go for spices, i prefer more tradtional english/europian cooking which doesnt often involve spices
cobra01977
sounds nice, i dont usually go for spices, i prefer more tradtional english/europian cooking which doesnt often involve spices

fair enough - at least you cook - most of my old friends in uni tell me about what they eat - total bloody rubbish full of saturates and fats - yuck - croissants are inhaled as freely as air in some cases :frown:
Reply 33
Kurdt Morello
why thank you my friend - there arent many of us around - its all down to my parents i think

I dunno, i eat more healthly than my parents even though they dont eat badly, all my friends look down on me for boycoting Mcdonalds and similar places, cos it tastes rubbish, if i wanna eat sumthing like cardboard i will just eat cardboard, much more healthy
cobra01977
I dunno, i eat more healthly than my parents even though they dont eat badly, all my friends look down on me for boycoting Mcdonalds and similar places, cos it tastes rubbish, if i wanna eat sumthing like cardboard i will just eat cardboard, much more healthy

lol - i totally agree - i eat more healthily than my parents too - i eat no cooked food anymore - just fruit and vegetables raw + nuts - that is my spiritual side
Reply 35
Kurdt Morello
lol - i totally agree - i eat more healthily than my parents too - i eat no cooked food anymore - just fruit and vegetables raw + nuts - that is my spiritual side

i havent gone to that extreame, i just like to be healthy, and thin
Fish in milk (sounds gross, but it is actually lovely)

1 piece of smoked haddock (per person)
Milk
Butter
Freshly baked bread

Put the fish in a deep (ish) baking tray, pour on enough milk to cover most of the fish, add a knob of butter and grill untill brown on top. Serve with the milk and the posh bread to soak up the milk.

I prefer haddock with cracked pepper (I know that Tesco sell this).
cobra01977
i havent gone to that extreame, i just like to be healthy, and thin

my life choice is borne of spiritualism and to be healthy and young for as long as possible
Kurdt Morello
to be... young for as long as possible

Erm I have a problem with that...
Reply 39
ok..i think this is going off the topic...
RECIPES PLEASE

Latest

Trending

Trending