This discussion is closed.
Ellie-x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What does being a course rep actually involve? Is it worth it?
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a course rep and I've been to one meeting so far with other course reps and a few lecturers, so not too much haha! My picture is also on the "who's who" wall, that was awkward when I first saw it :P
Ben Kenobi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds boring to me a bit. I think you just talk to people and listen to their suggestions on improvements of course.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It'll vary by uni and department, but you're essentially meant to act as a link between students and academic staff, dealing with complaints and whatnot.

It's something to put on your CV

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhialina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've just volunteered to be a Psychology student rep, I have to go to meetings and bring up positive or negative points about the department etc and speak to prospective students I think. Not too sure how often though! It's starting in a couple of weeks
DarkWhite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Course Reps are there to ensure the voice of students is heard by university staff and decision makers. The bare minimum will be a couple of meetings over the course of the academic year. Ideally they would be change-makers though, getting involved in education campaigns with and for students, and proactively seeking students' opinions on various issues on their course to set the agenda for how the course is run.

I was the education officer in my students' union last year, and part of that involved heading up our education network of 800 course and school reps. I can say for sure that those just doing it for their CV didn't get much out of it, and subsequently had very little to write on their CV. It's far from a strenuous role, but it is what you make of it; you have a great deal of influence over key decisions
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a course rep, here's what you do:

1. Post in groups on Facebook and around the faculty building advertising that you exist
2. Collect complaints and suggestions - online, via suggestion box, or via surgeries (rotate who mans them)
3. Anything hugely urgent pass up to the academic rep (your boss) immediately, and they will tell the relevant member of staff
4. Meet every week or fortnight to discuss and identify common issues
5. Once a term go to a big meeting with the lecturers to try and get major departmental issues sorted

It doesn't appear to require much effort, probably a time commitment of half an hour a week for a meeting. You tend to serve the interests of your own year group, as you are most approachable to them.
Ellie-x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks so much everyone for the advice
roshnijesrani
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rhialina)
I've just volunteered to be a Psychology student rep, I have to go to meetings and bring up positive or negative points about the department etc and speak to prospective students I think. Not too sure how often though! It's starting in a couple of weeks
what did you include in your paragraph or essay required when applying for student rep
jenerous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by roshnijesrani)
what did you include in your paragraph or essay required when applying for student rep
Thread's seven years old. You're better off making a new thread if you need help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (290)
57.65%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (70)
13.92%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (55)
10.93%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed