This discussion is closed.
jaimebe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm looking to study either Criminology or Policing at University next year however I'm not sure which University would be the best for such courses. At first I thought London would be good because I could volunteer with the Metropolitan Police but after hearing about the expense of living in London, I wondered if there was anywhere else in the country that would be as good to study Criminology or Policing at as it would be in London. Anybody study these subjects and if so where and how is it?
emmatays
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am currently studying this at South Essex College which is about 45 minutes away from London

Posted from TSR Mobile
CourtneyBaldwin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jaimebe)
I'm looking to study either Criminology or Policing at University next year however I'm not sure which University would be the best for such courses. At first I thought London would be good because I could volunteer with the Metropolitan Police but after hearing about the expense of living in London, I wondered if there was anywhere else in the country that would be as good to study Criminology or Policing at as it would be in London. Anybody study these subjects and if so where and how is it?
This depends entirely on your predicted grades and what aspects of criminology interests you e.g victimology, organised crime etc.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What are your predicted grades?
jaimebe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
What are your predicted grades?
My predicted grades are DDM as I am currently studying a BTEC Public Services Level 3 course and not A levels. However I have 80 ucas points already from one year at sixth form.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University of Birmingham is probably the best bet as its an older established Uni with a bit more clout that some of the others. Its degree is called Social Policy (Crime, Policy & Social Justice).

After that (in no particular order) UCLAN, Staffordshire, Portsmouth, Middlesex. Avoid London Met and probably Birmingham City.

Some Sociology or Social Policy degrees may also be worth looking at as many deal with areas like criminology, drugs policy, social deviancy etc.
Subfield
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Portsmouth uni has the largest Criminology department in Europe. I'm in first year & it's great so far. Lecturers are all of a policing/crime scene/law background so plenty of knowledge & stories to tell :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
CoreyS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why avoid London Met Uni?
Snufkin
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoreyS)
Why avoid London Met Uni?
Hi, please don't bump old threads. :nope:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (313)
66.03%
No (161)
33.97%

Watched Threads